New features suggestion for futur release: pre-configured profils
(01-16-2011, 11:33 AM)Whisper Wrote: My bad, I was certain AMD's cpus were SSSE3 and SSE4.1 compatible. But nevertheless, these different modes only change the emulation speed, don't they ? I've never found a game that work in SSE4.1 and doesn't work in SSE2 for example, or bugs that are present only in SSE2...

Unfortunately, the SSE instuction sets 1-4.1 were created by Intel, and it was up to AMD to follow them if they wished. Some of them they have, but for others they passed, instead creatign their own set SSE5, which is designed to compete with the SSE4 set.

Its all very confusing Tongue2

Though as you say, I believe it is all purely speed related. The newer SSE versions have various shortcuts and so on which allows it to calculate things faster.

Sponsored links

Well, at least the incoming "bulldozer" from AMD will remove all the concerns with that specific problem (SSExyz), and in the end it's not that groundbreaking issue once most the actual vectorized/float point computation is better done by the GPU.

Since Bulldozer was not released yet, for now its performance is just a vast unknown populated by many speculations... anyway it's not something the applications developers can't do anything other than provide the usage where it can be done and there is no real sense in having a setup for it.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-16-2011, 03:27 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Simple? yes, useful? maybe, better for everyone... NO!

It was already stated more than once, speed hacks aren't desirable things,
[...]
should not surprise if one makes it's way to the emulator itself...

Yes, I know speed hack aren't there to stay and are just temporary features while a new version of PCSX2 fixes the issues for good. Nevertheless they are very usefull and allow many games to work on many configurations.

And also not all of the settings you can set in the emulator are speed hacks, like the EE and VUS recompiler options (correct me if i'm mistaken).

And as it's probably a long road until PCSX is fully compatible and that no more games need speedhacks to properly run, I think the profile could be of use for quite a long time.

(01-16-2011, 03:35 PM)rama Wrote: We have recently added something you'll probably like: Configuration presets.
You get a slider that configures various PCSX2 settings with one click.
The settings go from safe/good emulation to majorly speed hacked, in small steps.

This comes close to your suggestion and creates considerably less work for us Wink

Yee this is a great news ! And a good step toward my idea Smile Will this be available in the next 0.9.8 version ?

(01-17-2011, 01:26 AM)Whisper Wrote: ..
Yee this is a great news ! And a good step toward my idea Smile Will this be available in the next 0.9.8 version ?
Probably. It's already available on nightly builds but it still needs some fine-tuning of the actual presets (there are 6, where the lowest is the default settings of pcsx2). However, nightly builds have not been too stable recently..
I haven't had an issues with the nghtlys, I need a debug build though Sad and I can't get the soursce anymore or some annoying reasons