New here,check my specs
(05-19-2010, 05:35 PM)iakoboss7 Wrote: oh come on. there is no chance any program is the world will stress the system that much to have a crash if u have 2 hours of prime85 cleared. prime95 is doing things no program will ever does :s even if u play a game for 24 hours (and that cant happen....) this will be less than 2 hours of prime95.....

prime hasnt been reliable for quite some time now, on my machine intel burn test could fail on the first minutes where prime could run for hours. Then again seems intel burn test is better to test the stability on 64bit but not so much on 32bit OSs

Oh and I also use pcsx2 for stability test, actually pretty good xD
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

(05-19-2010, 09:10 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: prime hasnt been reliable for quite some time now, on my machine intel burn test could fail on the first minutes where prime could run for hours. Then again seems intel burn test is better to test the stability on 64bit but not so much on 32bit OSs

Oh and I also use pcsx2 for stability test, actually pretty good xD

using pcsx2 for stability test?!!! by just playing games or u do something different? the problem with intel burn test is that if u get temps better than 60c with prime95 its 2 risky to run it cause it can get over 70 or 80 (depending on cooler and cpu) for example i get 58-59c on prime95 and 70 with intel burn test. but i would be afraid if it gets past 80 cause it can for sure harm or lower the life of my cpu! (u see my cpu is 3 years old also....)
but yes intel burn test is very good for stability testing, i am curious at how many runs u do with intel burn test. every knowledge is welcomed Tongue
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
Risky? A stable CPU is supposed to run fine even on high temps, however if you're gonna OC and not get a good cooler well that's entirely on you, really you should always think of the CPU's longevity. But if you can't run demanding apps because you're afraid of temps you might as well not OC. Intelburn and all the other apps are supposed to cover for the worst case scenario that almost never happens but getting too high temps there means you have to think of either lowering your OC or get a better cooler.

My E2160 was about to be 3 years old too, I never let it go to high temps anyway and it's still there, currently I have my E5400 at only 3.6GHz even tho it can do 4.1GHz on stock voltage because I'm running it on the stock cooler for now xD

Quote:using pcsx2 for stability test?!!! by just playing games or u do something different?

Yeah, in fact in some cases I just have to load a game, get in game graphics and pcsx2 will just close right there if it's unstable Tongue
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(05-20-2010, 01:42 AM)iakoboss7 Wrote: using pcsx2 for stability test?!!! by just playing games or u do something different? the problem with intel burn test is that if u get temps better than 60c with prime95 its 2 risky to run it cause it can get over 70 or 80 (depending on cooler and cpu) for example i get 58-59c on prime95 and 70 with intel burn test. but i would be afraid if it gets past 80 cause it can for sure harm or lower the life of my cpu! (u see my cpu is 3 years old also....)
but yes intel burn test is very good for stability testing, i am curious at how many runs u do with intel burn test. every knowledge is welcomed Tongue

Mine's a somewhat iterative process:
1. increase FSB
2. IBT - 5 runs -> pass: go to step 1 ; fail: go to step 3
3. dial down FSB
4. IBT - 5 runs -> pass: go to step 5 ; fail: go to step 3
5. IBT - 40 runs -> pass: finished ; fail: go to step 3

That's the nice thing about Linpack. 24 hours of Prime testing is just like a few minutes of Linpack. I think 20 runs is probably fine but since I leave my PC's on 24/7, I use 40 (sometimes longer depending on how fast the processor finishes) just to be safe. Longest time I've had a PC running without any shutdown/restart is 1 year 2 months. Laugh
(05-20-2010, 02:28 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: My E2160 was about to be 3 years old too, I never let it go to high temps anyway and it's still there, currently I have my E5400 at only 3.6GHz even tho it can do 4.1GHz on stock voltage because I'm running it on the stock cooler for now xD

so what are the max temps u allow your cpu to get with intel burn test for long and happy cpu life? i kinda want to compare with mine!

edit: the downside of my cpu is that it was the 1st q6600 that came out and its a B3 and also that cpu produces enough heat that to get the temps i mentioned i use ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED with thermal paste Coollaboratory Liquid Pro (this thing is hard to apply but i saw a big change in temps from the thermal paste the cooler had! )
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
(05-20-2010, 02:56 AM)iakoboss7 Wrote: the downside of my cpu is that it was the 1st q6600 that came out and its a B3

Ouch. As I recall, the thermal specification for the E2160 is 74C while the Q6600 B3 is ~60C. The Q6600 G0 would have been a bit easier to deal with. My personal safe zone is ~10C below the thermal specification. If running IBT, then core temps right at thermal specification is fine with me. That gives me 20~30C leeway from TJmax.
Just some additional information. Even if you have passed Intel burn test and prime 95 10 hours like me, pcsx2 can still fail you. After playing Rogue galaxy for 5 hours, I got the BSOD and had to trun down my clock a bit in hope that pcsx2 lets me through.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
(05-20-2010, 05:22 AM)CKL Wrote: Just some additional information. Even if you have passed Intel burn test and prime 95 10 hours like me, pcsx2 can still fail you. After playing Rogue galaxy for 5 hours, I got the BSOD and had to trun down my clock a bit in hope that pcsx2 lets me through.

Yea...i know wat u mean..my grandia iii had hang 3 times since yesterday..wat the hell...=(
What cooler do you have? If you have stock heatsinks that could be the issue.
Working full time to build new PC by the end of the year
(05-20-2010, 12:26 PM)kenshihimura Wrote:
(05-20-2010, 05:22 AM)CKL Wrote: Just some additional information. Even if you have passed Intel burn test and prime 95 10 hours like me, pcsx2 can still fail you. After playing Rogue galaxy for 5 hours, I got the BSOD and had to trun down my clock a bit in hope that pcsx2 lets me through.

Yea...i know wat u mean..my grandia iii had hang 3 times since yesterday..wat the hell...=(

u know it can be also the game that is in fault or the emulator.... not only your cpu, (and also it maybe its your ram cause not many ppl stress their ram after OC )