New to the forums and emulation/pc gaming
Hey everybody,

this is my first post here and I have a couple questions. if this is in the wrong spot, please let me know! like I said, this is my first post here and im a newb to all this stuff.

anyway, i have a bunch of ps2 games that I play and some have some pain in the butt character, etc to unlock. i have an action replay max disc as well. my first question, is there a way to use that disc with the games I have? I also have the games on disc from when I had my og ps2. So, i dont do roms. 

second question, whats the best settings to use for sports games? ive noticed sometimes they seem to be moving too fast and get laggy or they just dont load properly. an example, arena football. the field and players look great but the fmvs, walls and crowds are non existent. the loading screen is funky too

third, can i play my ps1 games on here as well? i have a couple on disc id still like to play but they load up real weird. like the textures are liney and look awful. the sound doesnt work either. fmvs work fine with ps1 games tho.

i am using discs for everything i play so my questions are all about playing the games and using ar max on disc.

thanks

Sponsored links

You sure mention using disks for everything a lot Wink

I'll try to answer on high level:

0) There are plenty of 'getting started' guides around, the learning curve is not too bad, just use common sense and recommended settings to begin with.

1) pcsx2 supports cheats in text files you can probably find out the action replay cheats for specific games you need and enable them without the action replay. That being said, I've not looked into using action replay loading on the emulator. I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

2) There's no 'best settings' it depends on particular game, and its quirks, and your specific hardware. As everyone's hardware is different there will be great variance in 'best' settings for different computers. If you have any reasonably recent hardware it will probably run fine. With arena football the testing was back on version 1.4... Definitely try latest dev versions the actual bug with crowds not rendering may not be an issue anymore.

3) Use Duckstation for ps1 games.
(11-14-2022, 01:53 AM)Danfrombackhome Wrote: anyway, i have a bunch of ps2 games that I play and some have some pain in the butt character, etc to unlock. i have an action replay max disc as well. my first question, is there a way to use that disc with the games I have? I also have the games on disc from when I had my og ps2. So, i dont do roms. 
keep in mind pcsx2 is unusable if you don't have your og PS2 anymore
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Yes i do still have an actual system. Just looks like crap on these new tvs

(11-14-2022, 03:49 AM)MrWizard Wrote: You sure mention using disks for everything a lot Wink

I'll try to answer on high level:

0) There are plenty of 'getting started' guides around, the learning curve is not too bad, just use common sense and recommended settings to begin with.

1) pcsx2 supports cheats in text files you can probably find out the action replay cheats for specific games you need and enable them without the action replay. That being said, I've not looked into using action replay loading on the emulator. I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

2) There's no 'best settings' it depends on particular game, and its quirks, and your specific hardware. As everyone's hardware is different there will be great variance in 'best' settings for different computers. If you have any reasonably recent hardware it will probably run fine. With arena football the testing was back on version 1.4... Definitely try latest dev versions the actual bug with crowds not rendering may not be an issue anymore.

3) Use Duckstation for ps1 games.

(11-14-2022, 07:23 AM)jesalvein Wrote: keep in mind pcsx2 is unusable if you don't have your og PS2 anymore

Awesome, thanks. Ill try to figure it out!