Newb here, trying to configure for Xenosaga series
Howdy,
Hope this is the right place for this but recently upgraded my machine and hoping to play some old faves.

Relevant stuff:
PCXS 1.4.0
Win 10 Home 8GB RAM

GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 
Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Kaby Lake)
PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Monitor - Dell S2716DG

I've read through the configuration guide but became pretty confused as the instructions for graphics settings seemed to refer to an older version. 
The drop down box lets me choose between SSE4, AVX and AVX2.  Which one should I use?  Some of the YouTube videos I've found show it playing
at 1080p 60FPS and looking fabulous but it looks awful when I try those settings.  And what do they mean by Native resolution?  Is that the one my 
computer is set at or the one the game was made at?  Do some settings need to be made in NVidia control panel for that specific application or game?
I've also read and understand a little about .pnatch file hacks but not how/when to use them.  I'm completely lost with so many possibilities... not a 
complaint btw I understand why it needs be so deep and complex but I definitely feel like a pig in the wilderness here.  I've pretty much been trying 
different settings every which way.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored links

AVX2
I guess they're talking about the game. 512x448 is native. 2560 x 1440 is the res of your monitor but you may have trouble hitting that res with that card.
Pnatch files can help you cheat or provide utility like forcing a game to run at 60FPS.
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Post-you...re?page=56
You put them in your cheats folder and activate them with "Enable cheats" in the system folder of PCSX2.
1. Download a dev build of PCSX2 1.4 is getting really old now
https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php
performance and visuals are just plain better in the dev builds

2. AVX is supported by your CPU so you should use that

3. Settings will depend heavily on the game and your system, but one general rule is constant "Don't rely on Youtube settings for emulators."

4. .pnach files are converted cheat codes in a format that PCSX2 likes. There are some converter files if you want a convert a code from a cheat device to the format and you can do other things. Like many things with emulation if you don't need it all you are doing is adding one more thing you will have to debug if everything breaks. So use if you need or really want to, but otherwise just skip.

5. While you can increase the internal resolution of a game to make it look different (some people think better and others disagree), upscaling will introduce other issues in certain games like ghost images and lines on the screen and other issues. Emulated games are not like native PC games... they were never designed to run at anything other then the resolutions the PS2 was capable of and specifically the resolution mode they were programed for.
"The drop down box lets me choose between SSE4, AVX and AVX2.  Which one should I use?" 

Hello, may I know where is this drop down box located ?
(12-27-2017, 11:36 AM)teots Wrote: "The drop down box lets me choose between SSE4, AVX and AVX2.  Which one should I use?" 

Hello, may I know where is this drop down box located ?

Config > Plugins/BIOS, should be a drop down box by the GS setting.
you should select the MSVC 19.00 AVX2/AVX2 thing

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Update:  Using a mix of some Youtubing with trial and error I think I've just about got the right settings.  Cutscenes, so far (knock on wood), are running 100% at 60FPS.  FMVs still look quite rough (I understand they can't be upscaled).  Only problem left is a line over the text boxes.  I can live with it but if someone knows how to get rid of it that would be great.

Samples of issue: https://imgur.com/a/Pimxf
Settings: https://imgur.com/a/7IU4p

Thanks
don't use custom resolution or upscale reso you will get these lines...

stay at the original PS2 resolution "native" to remove all these lines.

i have a 4K monitor already tried that i also got these lines also during battle when upscale to x4 native.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
If you want to upscale the game, try different Half pixel offset value, if it does not work, try the Merge Sprite or the Wild arms offset and if it's still not good try changing sprite and round sprite values. Everything is Under the Hardware hacks section.
Final Update: Just finished the game. Tweaked a few settings (link below). Of note, TC Offset Y = 1000 fixes strange hair clipping during cutscenes but creates a line over text boxes. TC Offset Y = 0 fixes line over text boxes but leaves strange hair clipping during cutscenes. Also, this is probably my bad with using save states but I could have sworn items disappeared from inventory when using them (I did check each individual save state for said items). Other than that game looked beautiful with cutscenes running 100% at 60fps. On to part II. Smile

Setting used: https://imgur.com/a/7IU4p