Newbie needs help with Persona 4
@kamarov: it does indeed sound like your options are all optimized (more or less) mate. akin to Roland, I feel you are heavily CPU limited

@both: I heavily emphasize that the biggest speed boost BY FAR is the DAZ (denormals are zero), but it sounds like you have it enabled already I think (just making sure though)

@ Roland : dam man. I feel your pain. It was just like when I was trying to get Disgaea to work when I first messed with the pcsx2, and couldn't get a stable FPS. But in the end, nothing was just hiding the fact that that I had a 2.4 Pentium IV processor.

in the end hacks will only bring you so far. Seeing that you've found the best sound device and also enabled the DAZ hack, you may have pushed your rig as far as it can go. It's even more suspicious that your speed hack #2 LOWERS your fps? In short, I suspect (though by all means try further) that your CPU is limiting you out.

sry dood, I feel your pain, but I was also hit with this reality two years ago. Pcsx2 demands a lotta power =/

PS: about the flickering you keep mentioning. If it's the flickering that I suspect (the one thats especially prominent in your room or the gas station at the beginning, etc.), I'd say it's one of those "Persona side effects" from the pcsx2 (as in it was the same in Persona 3). most of the pcsx2 persona players just ignore it, because it doesn't get that noticeable after a while, and is a practically expected side effect. this is, though, if your flickering is the same 'flickering' that I (we) experience
3.0ghz E8400 Dual Core Processor
4 Gigs Corsair DDR2 RAM
(2x)8800GT SLI (dual cards)
Ninja

Sponsored links

Well thx, so far.. at least its somehow playable so i'll will wait and hope for improved plugins, in the hope to get me some extra fps^^

Btw. i have read that their is a problem with amd/ati prozesors, losing much power?

If that still true, anybody thougtht about the fact that intel uses CISC architectur and AMD/ATI RISC for their chips?

Considering that what architectur does the ps chip have?

If it is CISC, thean maybe including the neasasery commands to break CISC commands down to RISC will help, but don'T ask me howe it goes/ if it evean is posibel, i don't know much more about that stuff..

Ah and sry, if something like that was already posted some whear.. i haven't read evearything yet.. its just to much to read all posts..

p.S.: If it is of some reason to think about it, would some one move it to a better fitting topic?
Belive me their is method to my madness..
(01-02-2009, 09:22 PM)antipunt Wrote: @kamarov: it does indeed sound like your options are all optimized (more or less) mate. akin to Roland, I feel you are heavily CPU limited

@both: I heavily emphasize that the biggest speed boost BY FAR is the DAZ (denormals are zero), but it sounds like you have it enabled already I think (just making sure though)

@ Roland : dam man. I feel your pain. It was just like when I was trying to get Disgaea to work when I first messed with the pcsx2, and couldn't get a stable FPS. But in the end, nothing was just hiding the fact that that I had a 2.4 Pentium IV processor.

in the end hacks will only bring you so far. Seeing that you've found the best sound device and also enabled the DAZ hack, you may have pushed your rig as far as it can go. It's even more suspicious that your speed hack #2 LOWERS your fps? In short, I suspect (though by all means try further) that your CPU is limiting you out.

sry dood, I feel your pain, but I was also hit with this reality two years ago. Pcsx2 demands a lotta power =/

PS: about the flickering you keep mentioning. If it's the flickering that I suspect (the one thats especially prominent in your room or the gas station at the beginning, etc.), I'd say it's one of those "Persona side effects" from the pcsx2 (as in it was the same in Persona 3). most of the pcsx2 persona players just ignore it, because it doesn't get that noticeable after a while, and is a practically expected side effect. this is, though, if your flickering is the same 'flickering' that I (we) experience

anti, I hate to admit it but, I think you're right... If only there was just slightly more efficient plugins... I guess for now I just have to bite the bullet and bear it! If I could find some way to make my gfx card take some of the load I definitely will but other than that I am limited by my current plugins... *sigh* Overclocking is tempting but I can't risk it on a laptop... And now I am just spouting random thoughts out so on that note I thank all that have contributed very much! You have been very helpful and have left a good first impression on me for this community!
AMD Turion64 x2 2.0GHz
3Gbs RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7150m / 630i 128Mb VRAM (512 with Shared)
Windows XP Media Center
(mind you it's a laptop)
lol gl to you, and I'd say try again the next time you build a new pc (waiting for new plugins might be a bit idealistic, and could take a minimum of a year or so =P)

pS: and yes you're right; being a labtop doesn't help much either ^_^;
3.0ghz E8400 Dual Core Processor
4 Gigs Corsair DDR2 RAM
(2x)8800GT SLI (dual cards)
Ninja
Looking at your system specs I'm guessing that your CPU is the bottleneck here. Still, these specs work best with both Persona 4 and Persona 3 FES for me:

ZeroGS KOSMOS 0.97.1
*Bilinear Filtering OFF (important, huge difference especially in battle scenes, I get drops of about 30 FPS with it ON.)
*Anti-aliasing ANY (no difference detected)
*All other ticks OFF

SPU2ghz Playground 1.9.0
*Nearest Interpolation
*DirectSound
*Time-stretching ON (small impact on speed, I detected nothing. Sounds much better)
*All other ticks OFF

CPU
*All ticks on left ON (EERec, VU recompilers and MTGS)
*Limit (Stabilizes rendering since these games have big FPS differences)

Speed Hacks
*All three Overflow/Underflow hacks ON
*Disable Extra VU Flags ON
*Disable Extra FPU Flags OFF (you get some glitches with gfx on communications if this is ON)
*EE Sync Hack(x2) ON
*IOP Sync Hack(x2) ON
*EE/IOP Sync Hack(x3) OFF

Advanced
*Roundmodes CHOP/ZERO
*Flush to Zero ON (on both sides)
*Denormals are Zero ON (on both sides)

The Advanced settings and Bilinear filtering settings had a huge impact for me. Overall FPS went up from a jumpy 30-60 FPS to quite a stable 58-60FPS with these settings only.
(01-06-2009, 01:31 AM)Trehek Wrote: Looking at your system specs I'm guessing that your CPU is the bottleneck here. Still, these specs work best with both Persona 4 and Persona 3 FES for me:

ZeroGS KOSMOS 0.97.1
*Bilinear Filtering OFF (important, huge difference especially in battle scenes, I get drops of about 30 FPS with it ON.)
*All other ticks OFF

SPU2ghz Playground 1.9.0
*Nearest Interpolation
*DirectSound
*Time-stretching ON (small impact on speed, I detected nothing. Sounds much better)
*All other ticks OFF

CPU
*All ticks on left ON (EERec, VU recompilers and MTGS)
*Limit (Stabilizes rendering since these games have big FPS differences)

Speed Hacks
*All three Overflow/Underflow hacks ON
*Disable Extra VU Flags ON
*Disable Extra FPU Flags OFF (you get some glitches with gfx on communications if this is ON)
*EE Sync Hack(x2) ON
*IOP Sync Hack(x2) ON
*EE/IOP Sync Hack(x3) OFF

Advanced
*Roundmodes CHOP/ZERO
*Flush to Zero ON (on both sides)
*Denormals are Zero ON (on both sides)

The Advanced settings and Bilinear filtering settings had a huge impact for me. Overall FPS went up from a jumpy 30-60 FPS to quite a stable 58-60FPS with these settings only.

I gotta say, if I enable the FPU flags at all it crashes and will not run the game at all! It sometimes crashes when I try to run the game (seemingly randomly) but if extra FPU flags are enabled it crashes everytime I press run...
AMD Turion64 x2 2.0GHz
3Gbs RAM
Windows XP Media Center
(mind you it's a laptop)
I suggest you set 4 conseq. frames to skip to a higher multiple of 4 (ie. 8, 12, 16).

Also, I just tried one of the new compiled betas (SVN 528) and the game more fluid overall in areas it slows down with the latest stable release. You could try that as well.
PCSX2 SVN-563 VTLB // C2E QX6850 @ 3.38ghz, Radeon HD 4850 512mb, 8gb DDR2-1000, Velociraptor 10000rpm 300gb, Vista Business x86-64, XB360 Wired Controller
(01-06-2009, 07:55 AM)apparition Wrote: I suggest you set 4 conseq. frames to skip to a higher multiple of 4 (ie. 8, 12, 16).

Also, I just tried one of the new compiled betas (SVN 528) and the game more fluid overall in areas it slows down with the latest stable release. You could try that as well.

I'm glad I checked this cuz I never got the email of you posting! And yea, I've been going back and forth between 4 and 8, I've been hesitant to try 12...
I may give the beta a shot, I've kinda pushed it to the side out of a craving for Metal Gear (pc versions) for the past few days...
AMD Turion64 x2 2.0GHz
3Gbs RAM
Windows XP Media Center
(mind you it's a laptop)
(01-06-2009, 01:31 AM)Trehek Wrote: Looking at your system specs I'm guessing that your CPU is the bottleneck here. Still, these specs work best with both Persona 4 and Persona 3 FES for me:

ZeroGS KOSMOS 0.97.1
*All other ticks OFF

Been playing Persona 3 on the laptop of my sig and i have to disagree with you.....about the video plugin.......GSDX 0.1.12 is better by far.....(around 10-15 fps boost).I just tested both on the same scene with your settings (these ones which i also use).As far as it concerns P3 GSDx performs better...sorry for the offtopic (kindaTongue)
Laptop
c2d centrino 2 [email protected]
3gb Ram
Nvidia 9600M GT
Windows Vista Home

Desktop
AMD X2 4800+ @3.1Ghz (o/c)
Ram 3.5gb DDR2 667 @750mhz (o/c)
Nvidia 8800GT
Windows XP Sp3 Professional
It's not true, really. At the same settings GSDX and ZeroGS have absolutely similar performance, but many people try to use ZeroGS with AA16 and see the big performance loss. For P3 there is one big difference -- GSDX dx9 have highly incorrect picture with texture miss.