No XP/DirectX10 work around possible with pcsx2?
Hey,

I got RE4 for the pcsx2 and I wanted to play it, but once again I get annoyed buy the too low fps. So I looked into the guides if I could improve my settings at least a bit. This is when I humbled across DirectX 10 settings. I didn't thought that it would give me a lot of speed and well... I have Windows XP x64 and there is no DX10 for it, right?

HA! When something isn't possible, but it should be, than you can expect some friendly programmers who release a work around, fix or hack for it and it really happend: DX10 on Windows XP is possible without a doubt.

All you need is to install this and DX10 on your system:
Link
(I recommend to use this source, because many people on other sites complained about unofficial downloads which contained malware and trojans)

There is also a little switcher program for switching between a system with/without DX9 and DX10.

So I installed it and I really got DX10 settings for the Gsdx9 plug-in Laugh
I started the emulation and I got an unexpeccted error message, because the plug in failed to open/initalize

Here is the logfile:
Quote:PCSX2 (beta) - compiled on Apr 14 2009
Savestate version: 8b410001
x86Init:
CPU vendor name = GenuineIntel
FamilyID = 6
x86Family = Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P9500 @ 2.53GHz
CPU speed = 2.529 Ghz
Cores = 2 physical [2 logical]
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 0008e3fd
x86EFlags = 20100000

Features:
Detected MMX
Detected SSE
Detected SSE2
Detected SSE3
Detected SSSE3
Detected SSE4.1

Hotkeys:
F1 - save state
(Shift +) F2 - cycle states
F3 - load state
Bios Version 1.60
Bios Warning > rom2 not found.
Bios Warning > erom not found.
Framelimiter rate updated (UpdateVSyncRate): 59.94 fps
MTGS > Thread Started, Opening GS Plugin...
MTGS > GSopen Finished, return code: 0xffffffff

I believe that it could be possible to use DX10 with pcsx2 and maybe it just needs a little tweak. I read through a lot of DX10 on XP comments and a lot of people report boosts in their system preformance. In my opinion this is very remarkable, because as far as I understood the CPU hast to emulate (some?) DX10 functions (at least the Alykyl - Project method, but actually there are 3 methods to use DX10 on XP).

Uhm... I was not able to test DX10 on a DX10 because I don't have one, but I'm almost sure that it should work. Anybody wants to try it?

My system:
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P9500 @ 2.53GHz
Nvidia 9600MGT
Windows XP x64 Pro SP2

Help/Discussion? Smile

Sponsored links

My understanding is these things are very hackish, and are nowhere near 100% working.

Just get an OS that isn't almost a decade old!
Yeah these DX10 things are bupkis, and even if they do work, they're slow because they're running through a DX9 translator/emulator of sorts.. so it pretty well completely useless for what you want.

And yes DX10 is impossible on XP. The desired benefits of DX10 (namely speedups) requires fundamental changes to the kernel and Windows "window manager", and that's beyond the scope of service packs, DLLs, or anything else short of a new operating system.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Just get an OS that isn't almost a decade old!

^ Quoted for truth!
I mean, let go of XP already, people. Please. Tongue2
The problem is: I can't let go of XP and I don't want to.

Vista, I really don't want to spend a big part of my hardware ressources for my OS. That's just crap.

Windows 7, most of my software doesn't work for it. Sad truth and I need it for my work so I won't let go XP so soon. Windows 7 does look fine, but yeah well... my programms =/ Things might work, but I'm really pleased with XP and let it as it is ("never change a running/winning system").

Next/This month I should get my MacBook. I hope emulating things go better on it. =D

EDIT:
What do you think is the gain from DX9 to DX10? Any vague percentage?
PCSX2 is demanding.
If you're not willing to put effort in it (or spend a ton of money on better hardware Wink ), then you need to accept the issues.
Tip: Separate partition for Win7.

The gain from dx10 is better compatibility foremost. Then depending on game and scene, there's an fps boost of like 10 to 20%.
Use "XP mode" on Windows 7? It's basically an emulation of XP.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
Tsss. Choice between my career and pcsx2... mhm hard choice, right?
Yes it is demanding, but what is wrong about trying to get out the maximum of the ressources I already have?

Thanks for your answer. I was really interessted about the possible boost.

@Sythe: Not everything is that simpel to solve.
Try ticking the "native" checkbox in GSdx.

I'm curious what software do you use that wouldnt work in 7?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(10-18-2009, 07:29 PM)Bauzi Wrote: The problem is: I can't let go of XP and I don't want to.

Vista, I really don't want to spend a big part of my hardware ressources for my OS. That's just crap.

Windows 7, most of my software doesn't work for it. Sad truth and I need it for my work so I won't let go XP so soon. Windows 7 does look fine, but yeah well... my programms =/ Things might work, but I'm really pleased with XP and let it as it is ("never change a running/winning system").

If your software works on Vista (you haven't said it doesn't), then it's most likely going to work on Windows 7.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]