No interlacing codes
Can you do this with JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze (12CDC898) [SLPM-65140]?

Sponsored links

PaRappa The Rapper 2 (NTSC-U) [SCUS-97167] CRC = 2D368982
patch=1,EE,20103690,extended,00000000

PaRappa The Rapper 2 (PAL-M5) [SCES-50408] CRC = 326339BF
patch=1,EE,20103638,extended,00000000

Haven't tested every stage yet, but I'm pretty sure it works everywhere (apart from secret FMV).

McDonald's Original Happy Disc (NTSC-J) [SCPM-85101] CRC=43D4FF3E
//PARAPPA DEMO ONLY
patch=1,EE,2023032C,word,00000000
patch=1,EE,202303B4,word,00000000

Attached Files
.pnach   2D368982.pnach (Size: 60 bytes / Downloads: 339)
.pnach   43D4FF3E.pnach (Size: 109 bytes / Downloads: 230)
.pnach   326339BF.pnach (Size: 58 bytes / Downloads: 244)
It's a pitty we don't have these codes for real hardware. I mean let's take for example Killzone. I can force 480p with GSM Selector and it works fine but the image on a LCD Screen nowadays is so blurry. My eyes hurt. What I found interesting that for some games I have a sharper image when forcing 480p via GSM selector despite they also having a native 480p mode. For example Shadow of the colossus and Prince of persia the two thrones both provide a 480p mode but the image is less blurry when forcing 480p via GSM Selector compared to the native 480p mode given by the game itself. Looks like the back buffer is directly rendered then. I found some progress here and there on the internet but it's not that much:

Frame buffer usage and progressive scan compatibility

Progressive scan Action Replay Code Page

For example they were able to force 480p on Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution what cannot be achieved on GSM Selector (according to the person in the first two posts in the first link) despite having a lower color depth and dithering.

Tourist Trophy surely uses the engine from Gran Turismo. It has a native 480p mode but unfortunately there is also a lower color depth and dithering when using progressive scan. I wonder if we could display the back buffer from interlaced mode with higher color depth? Even if the HUD is missing it wouldn't be that bad because most of the time I am driving only against time without other drivers.

So many games look blurry on real hardware and could look much better: Jak and Daxter 2 & 3, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank series, Black and a lot more. All these games have 480p modes or can be forced to that but still look blurry. I wish there would be hex codes to get away with the blurry image. Maybe sometimes it's only the scaling of the backbuffer which makes the image blurry so we should try to disable the scaling with hex codes. I have a quite good setup at home (OSSC chained with an Extron DSC 301 HD) which produces good results for 480p. This way I can clearly distinguish what is a good picture and what is a bad one. I've already mentioned that for some games we get a sharper image when forcing 480p with GSM Selector than the with the native 480p mode. So maybe this can give us a hint on what to do.

Of course I know the focus of this forum is not real hardware but I found this thread very interesting and in the end we all love Playstation I think Smile
Thanks again for the Wild Arms patches felixthecat1970!

EDIT: Out of curiosity, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for as far as the potential crash that's mentioned in both of those? They both have a line that it says to disable if there's a crash - I haven't gotten one yet but the fact that it says that makes me think that I should expect one. Is there a particular point that was crashing or was it just random?
(05-21-2020, 07:43 AM)Zombeaver Wrote: Thanks again for the Wild Arms patches felixthecat1970!

EDIT: Out of curiosity, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for as far as the potential crash that's mentioned in both of those? They both have a line that it says to disable if there's a crash - I haven't gotten one yet but the fact that it says that makes me think that I should expect one. Is there a particular point that was crashing or was it just random?

Because that code is another pattern for change another instruction-chain in the code (more o less i understand this way) that disable-interrupt entire interleacing routine, example in 1 post asasega teach how to disable exact routine for interleacing (the first 2 lines codes you find in wild arms codes) there codes are safe (same pattern every game who has that instruction *no every game has it) if you disable that code (advised about crash) *put // starting the code then save you will see, example, wild arms 3 interleacing is off but no always (battles shake some intensity), in devil may cry code *1 post when is enabled some 2d and menu still shake, learning and try some codes/opcodes etc i see that code pattern also disable some chain in the code make game no shake at all (many games i tested) but example in devil may cry if i active the code and press the menu button game pause-crash i need to go debugger and disable temp that code then the pause screen resume (seems that value conflict with instruction that call pause screen code) in that case i devised a workaround for disable - enable with combo button in game (*you can find in my devil may cry post back); RPGs has many variables in code "maybe" if happen to you only disable that code temporal , if not you are lucky.
(05-20-2020, 09:45 PM)dc_coder_84 Wrote: It's a pitty we don't have these codes for real hardware. I mean let's take for example Killzone. I can force 480p with GSM Selector and it works fine but the image on a LCD Screen nowadays is so blurry. My eyes hurt. What I found interesting that for some games I have a sharper image when forcing 480p via GSM selector despite they also having a native 480p mode. For example Shadow of the colossus and Prince of persia the two thrones both provide a 480p mode but the image is less blurry when forcing 480p via GSM Selector compared to the native 480p mode given by the game itself. Looks like the back buffer is directly rendered then. I found some progress here and there on the internet but it's not that much:

Frame buffer usage and progressive scan compatibility

Progressive scan Action Replay Code Page

For example they were able to force 480p on Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution what cannot be achieved on GSM Selector (according to the person in the first two posts in the first link) despite having a lower color depth and dithering.

Tourist Trophy surely uses the engine from Gran Turismo. It has a native 480p mode but unfortunately there is also a lower color depth and dithering when using progressive scan. I wonder if we could display the back buffer from interlaced mode with higher color depth? Even if the HUD is missing it wouldn't be that bad because most of the time I am driving only against time without other drivers.

So many games look blurry on real hardware and could look much better: Jak and Daxter 2 & 3, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank series, Black and a lot more. All these games have 480p modes or can be forced to that but still look blurry. I wish there would be hex codes to get away with the blurry image. Maybe sometimes it's only the scaling of the backbuffer which makes the image blurry so we should try to disable the scaling with hex codes. I have a quite good setup at home (OSSC chained with an Extron DSC 301 HD) which produces good results for 480p. This way I can clearly distinguish what is a good picture and what is a bad one. I've already mentioned that for some games we get a sharper image when forcing 480p with GSM Selector than the with the native 480p mode. So maybe this can give us a hint on what to do.

Of course I know the focus of this forum is not real hardware but I found this thread very interesting and in the end we all love Playstation I think Smile

Also i think the same and try some PS2 games in my ps3 console, but i note the ps3 emulator already disable the interleacing every game some norm see better (but too blurry) seem code for interleacing do nothing, i try some backbuffer sharp codes and custom 480p i see example 480p game takes a hit (becomes slow) with God hand, but with sharp code the game see better (but too slow) seems the software emu take a hit in performance, in psx-scene forums some people apply effects custom patches for another games will look better or run better for partial emulation PS3 consoles (like my ps3 slim model) i hunting for a full backwards PS3 console again ( has physicall ps2 chips in it, big release model 1 60gb) i want to try again if is a software emu performance can be minimized (i think is truth about performance hit because many reads about PS2 architecture - desing good read > [https://copetti.org/projects/consoles/playstation-2/] ) try ps3 consoles with ps2 games maybe is true the diference with you setup
Fatal Frame USA SLUS_203.88 Game CRC = 339A0B8C
Code:
//no interleacing (some screens and videos)
patch=1,EE,0023188C,word,64420000
Gran Turismo 4 SCUS_973.28 CRC=77E61C8A
Game has 480p mode, but menus / videos shake, i combined 480p autoboot code ( from another post) add 1080i selection and no interleacing test code.
*Only works in HW mode OGL or DX11, SW (black screen)
Update:I dont like this code, so i refactored / update the code with framebuffer display code integrated in all resolutions and HW, SW with next caveats:
*Menus and videos code for no interleacing in 480p, 480i and 1080i OK
*Framebuffer is enabled in realtime gameplay with L3 (on) R3 (off) , press R3 is you see garbled graphics or black screen.
*Framebuffer display is glichy, recomended autoboot mode 480p (enabled in pnach, can be disabled, read pnach notes)
*Framebuffer in 480p looks better NO HUD, but sometimes glich or black screen (press R3)
*Framebuffer in NTSC mode glich more also, DX11 looks dark in OGL ok
*Framebuffer in 1080i display only show HUD transparency
- also i find autoboot in widescreen but only enable menus gameplay still 4:3, so is better you enable in options and save. i hope gt4 fan enjoy this for some replays or clean image.

Attached Files
.pnach   77E61C8A.pnach (Size: 1,55 KB / Downloads: 2.169)
Code requested earlier in the thread by @synce
disables shaking and postprocess, resulting in clean sharp image

The Bouncer
SLPS_250.23 Game CRC = 0x18C8487E

Attached Files
.pnach   18C8487E.pnach (Size: 76 bytes / Downloads: 334)
Does anyone have a no-interlace patch for the PAL version of Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec? (SCES-50294)