Noob question about PCSX2 performance
Hello,

I've a question about PCSX2 performance, I recently played Monster Hunter 2, Dark Cloud, and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. My spec is not that good, it is a laptop.

i3 2310M
GT 520M
4GB Memory
Win7 x64

I'm wondering why I'm able to run MH2 and SH:C with solid 60fps without drop no matter what, but I have a hard time trying to run Dark Cloud, it mostly run at 40-50 fps, this causes a slowdown. So my question is, why it is able to run few PS2 games at decent framerate but struggling with the others, I'm really curious about this. AFAIK, DC is early generation games while MH2 and SH:C are late generation so I don't think graphics is the issue here.

Thank you

Sponsored links

(09-03-2013, 04:22 PM)warheat1990 Wrote: Hello,

I've a question about PCSX2 performance, I recently played Monster Hunter 2, Dark Cloud, and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. My spec is not that good, it is a laptop.

i3 2310M
GT 520M
4GB Memory
Win7 x64

I'm wondering why I'm able to run MH2 and SH:C with solid 60fps without drop no matter what, but I have a hard time trying to run Dark Cloud, it mostly run at 40-50 fps, this causes a slowdown. So my question is, why it is able to run few PS2 games at decent framerate but struggling with the others, I'm really curious about this. AFAIK, DC is early generation games while MH2 and SH:C are late generation so I don't think graphics is the issue here.

Thank you

Emulation is very complex and very demanding. By demanding i mean it needs a decent GPU and especially a powerful CPU. Some games are easier to emulate because its easier to translate ps2 code to x86. if you want to play dark clouds, i suggest you upgrade to a better system. A desktop is preferred because it doesn't overheat unlike laptops without sufficient cooling.
System Specs
CPU:AMD FX 8350 3.5ghz turbo to 4ghz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7750 GDDR5
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 5.0
RAM: 8GB
The PS2 has a ton of different hardware features that not every game or developer takes advantage of. On top of the fact that some of those hardware features don't translate well to PC, you also have a problem with the game developers themselves. Generally poorly optimized/coded games and highly optimized/tuned games give the greatest problems. The former because poorly coded games can be just as taxing on the PS2 as a game that pushes the pushes the hardware in a good way. The latter because... well... If you have a game that's pushing the hardware to it's limits, of course it's going to be harder to emulate.

That generally means the "middle of the road" type developers and games are often the easiest to emulate while lesser known, early in the console's life, and late in the console's life games are hardest. There are always exceptions. Open world type games in general tend to be pretty hard to emulate as well.
[Image: 2748844.png]
I found it varies game to game. The only way to really find out is to run it and see what happens. Sometimes the results are extremely odd and that would tail into Koji's post (very nice explanation, btw).

As for you hardware, you can try those games and see what happens. I have a feeling the laptop may be too slow, though.