Noticable improvements in 9.8.0
Hey, developers. Just wanted to mention that I noticed in 9.8.0 that there have been significant improvements in software rendering under GSDX. While it's still not the most ideal way to play the games, it certainly does run a lot smoother in this mode than it did in 9.6.0. Some games are nearly playable on my setup now.

I'm curious to know if the improvements are due to changes in the software renderer or if it's just the result of the improvements to the core which would naturally give more headroom for the software renderer to do its job better.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the progress and I think the core is running quite well for almost everything. Certainly it feels from my point-of-view that the weaknesses lay in the graphics and occasionally the audio plugins. Though I fully understand that those processes are quite complex to develop to work on all hardware sets, I hope that great strides are soon to come in this area.

By the way, has there been any interest in the GPGPU advancements that have been occurring lately. I think it would be beneficial if we could offload the software rendering onto the GPU down the line.

Sponsored links

(05-27-2011, 10:30 PM)IAmBill Wrote: I'm curious to know if the improvements are due to changes in the software renderer or if it's just the result of the improvements to the core which would naturally give more headroom for the software renderer to do its job better.

Both! Smile
MTGS and GSdx both don't use aggressive spinning anymore.
The speed and threading of GSdx has been improved.