Number of Cores vs. GHz
so i read elsewhere on this forum that PCSX2 on a C2D with 3,3 GHz performs better than a C2Q with 2,6 GHz.

Is this a problem with the emu not working well (yet?) in multithreaded ways, or am i in a misconception about how computing power scales? This is out of interest for a better understanding (plus i am in the process of upgrading my C2D 3,16 to a C2Q 3,00).

Sponsored links

...use search function of forum, there is many times explaned that PcSx2 emu uses only 2 cores, regardless of how many you have! & yes, it will perform better on C2Q @3.3GHz vs C2Q @2.6GHz

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
Quote:so i read elsewhere on this forum that PCSX2 on a C2D with 3,3 GHz performs better than a C2Q with 2,6 GHz.

Is this a problem with the emu not working well (yet?) in multithreaded ways, or am i in a misconception about how computing power scales? This is out of interest for a better understanding (plus i am in the process of upgrading my C2D 3,16 to a C2Q 3,00).
Well, first of all, you should remember, that milti-cores CPU is not as good as one core CPU if you think about CPU utilisation. 1 core use 100% at stress test, 2 cores -- 85% (average), while 4 cores -- only 64%. Even more, there is few cases, where 4 core is SLOWER than 2 at the same clock speed! So if you don't really know where you 4 cores would be effective, you only loose speed per clock basis. So if you plan to upgrade E8500 -- choose i7 (not i5 750, i5 give only small bonus, that does not cover price, i7 920 is not very good to).
PCSX2 uses only 2 cores, so quad cores cant use their full potential, also remember that

3ghz Athlon <> 3ghz C2D <> 3ghz Phenom <> 3ghz Phenom II <> 3ghz Pentium 4 <> 3ghz Athlon II

there are realy much details that processor speed depends, and you should never base what you think about CPUs on their frequency, its too much to write, you should google it, read some reviews in which people benchmark and compare CPUs
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
that means that is i disabeld the oc it will be slow... hmm why it does not use 4cores
(09-16-2009, 01:28 PM)coder_fx Wrote: that means that is i disabeld the oc it will be slow... hmm why it does not use 4cores

Because coding it in such a way to scale from 2 -> 4 physical cores is rather difficult.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
i hope that the developers now is trying to scale from 2 -> 4
thanx anyway
We ACTIVELY use 2 cores only, meaning we have coded routines that put load on one core, and different load on another.
In our case this was EE core one thread 1, and GS on thread 2.
The simple problem we face is, there is nothing left that can be "outsourced" that easily anymore.
So yeah, to really use many cores, the program must be designed to do this.
If you cannot design your program this way (in our case we were lucky the ps2 design even allowed a 2 thread emulation!), then more cores = more waste of money and energy.
Intel and AMD know that, but still bring out more and more cores on a single cpu.
I wish they'd put their resources ore into improving single threaded performance..
Coding regular apps to use 4+ cores efficiently is a pita.

Coding an emulator to use 4+ cores efficiently is neigh impossible.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
i wont dicusse this becouse u now better than me what it know is bullding the new gui using c++

anyway thanx..