Occasional EE% & GS% drops to 0%
Hello all. I'm still fairly new here. I've been lurking around as much I could during the past few weeks, though not as much as I would have liked to. I've been a bit busy... Much so that I haven't even had a chance to play around with PCSX2 for more than an hour a few days ago.
I have to say though, I'm rather impressed.

But let me get to the point. With an i7 2.8 ghz processor and an ATI Radeon 5770, I've been able to average around 40 fps without speedhacks. Keep in mind that I haven't had too much time to play around with the plugin configurations, but I did adhere to the setup guide the best I could. With speedhacks, I reached a steady 59-60 fps frame rate, but my GS and EE percentages would drop to 0% every half a minute to a minute or so. Based on what I've read so far, I think it's most likely due to the VU cycle stealing speed hack, but this is just a guess, based on different threads I've come across. If anyone could clarify, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sponsored links

Never minding the usage readouts, is there a real problem in your emulation?
Does the game stop for a split second?
If so, are you playing the game from a real disc? That could cause it.
I had a similar problem with my i7.

Check this link:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Occasiona...s-Raw-2010
(08-07-2010, 12:55 PM)rama Wrote: Never minding the usage readouts, is there a real problem in your emulation?
Does the game stop for a split second?
If so, are you playing the game from a real disc? That could cause it.

Yeah, the game stops for a split second.. Maybe every minute or so.
Other than that, it runs beautifully!
I am running the game from a real disc. I've tried Indigo Prophecy and MGS3S. I'm guessing then that I should use a program like ImgBurn to create an ISO from the disc? Oh, if it matters at all, I'm using a "PLDS DVDRWBD DH-6E2S." I don't know anything about it to be honest, but maybe being a Blu-Ray capable drive, it's reading speed may not be ideal for PCSX2.

@Nike
Ah yes. I actually bookmarked your thread on my netbook when I was browsing these forums yesterday. You said your problem just went away though, correct? I'll definitely check out CPU-Z later on tonight when I get home from work. Even if it doesn't solve my problem, it sounds like a nice little app to have.

I'll post more when I get some time to play around with PCSX2.
(08-07-2010, 11:45 PM)bMiller Wrote: I'm guessing then that I should use a program like ImgBurn to create an ISO from the disc?

Do that Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(08-07-2010, 11:45 PM)bMiller Wrote: Ah yes. I actually bookmarked your thread on my netbook when I was browsing these forums yesterday. You said your problem just went away though, correct? I'll definitely check out CPU-Z later on tonight when I get home from work. Even if it doesn't solve my problem, it sounds like a nice little app to have.

I'll post more when I get some time to play around with PCSX2.
Yes the app is really nice. I have put it in autostart on my computer now. You can monitor not only the CPU but also your video card, see windows version, BIOS version and so on.

I don't know really if the program was the reason to the stops vanishing but they did after I installed and ran it the first time. I haven't had the problem since then. Another thing I always do now when running PCSX2 is killing all processes I can kill via the task manager before starting PCSX2. I also always assign PCSX2 to cores 0 and 2 manually after starting (via task manager).
Another neat program is Process Explorer by Systernals, I use it over Task Manager because the interface not only looks nice but programs are color coded with more detailed information and the interface is streamlined.

You can actually kill programs, instead of just trying to close them. This works well when something completely stops responding.

There are some other things as well but the features I find most useful are the CPU usage statistics such as CPU time, percentage and the graphing that visually displays the two in real-time.

Not to mention the fact you can change the refresh speed, even down to half a second.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
Or u could use Game Booster to which programs u want to shut off or use. It's a nifty small program that can actually help boosting your computer, since it closes background programs which takes the most CPU. I've used it quite a long time and for most games I had issues with this program actually helped me solve them.

U can download it from:

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

I would say give it a try atleast Smile
(08-07-2010, 11:55 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote:
(08-07-2010, 11:45 PM)bMiller Wrote: I'm guessing then that I should use a program like ImgBurn to create an ISO from the disc?

Do that Tongue2

Yup. You and Rama were right. That fixed the problem! I don't know how I missed that in the guide.

Nike, do you raise the priority for PCSX2 as well? I can't seem to notice a performance difference when I set it to realtime. Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by assigning PCSX2 to cores 0 and 2 manually... Does that have something to do with adjusting the "affinity?"

Oh, and thanks for the suggestion DangerousD. I ended up downloading and using Process Explorer, since I can't get Task Manager to run with administrator privileges for some reason.
Affinity is where u choose which cores u want which program to use, some older games simply won't run with a dual or quad core and with the affinity function u can switch off 1 - 5 cores to see if the program will run. So yeah u need to have the affinity option. Also u can do this solution for it which is for one program or for the entire os: http://solidlystated.com/software/how-to...-cpu-core/