Odd dips in ZoE and ZoE:2ndR
I decided to crack back into my old library of ps2 games, and decided to start with Zone Of Enders. Overall everything's fine, but I'll get sudden dips down to 50 fps, and at worse 40 fps. Normally this is nothing for me, but since most of the running functions are tied to the FPs, even a dip to 50 is noticeable. The same thing happens with ZoE 2.

The odd thing of is it, it's not where I'd expect to to dip. If there's an enemy squad off in the distance while I'm in combat, it'l do the 50 dip, but if I look at the floor...For whatever reason it dips down to 40. The first dip I assume has something to do with graphics, maybe? But I don't get what the problem is with looking right at the floor. I'm not very experienced with this emulator, nor configuring it in general, so any suggestions?

oh, and so it's out of the way:

GC : Radeon R7 360
Ram: 12g
CPU: Athlon X4 860k Q-core 3.7 Ghz

Sponsored links

Tried decreasing scaling/internal resolution? GSdx settings, PCSX2 version/settings, you didn't provide anything....
[Image: newsig.jpg]
What settings are you playing the game at? Both your GPU and CPU are fairly weak and those are 2 of those most demanding games on PCSX2
According to passmark,the STP of your CPU is 1598 which is the minimum recommended for most 3D games.
And if we are talking about weird dips,how about(in ZOE2)...in the first boss battle if the boss comes close to you and you use mummy shield,the speed will go WAY down(below 5)
(05-31-2016, 05:14 PM)Bositman Wrote: Tried decreasing scaling/internal resolution? GSdx settings, PCSX2 version/settings, you didn't provide anything....

GSdx: [GSdx 0 MSVC 18.00, SSSE3, 0.1.16, gsdx32-ssse3-r5875]   Render - Direct3d11(Hardware), Interlacing - None, Native Res, no other setting on.

PCSX2: v1.2.1 w/ Bios USA v02.00

I'll be real honest, I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm not sure what to provide. Nor which options to go at. 

(05-31-2016, 05:38 PM)bomblord Wrote: What settings are you playing the game at? Both your GPU and CPU are fairly weak and those are 2 of those most demanding games on PCSX2

I still don't get why those are weak. I can play pretty much any game, PC or Em, with no problem, expect on PCSX2. Even ps1 ems are fine, but that's not saying much. They both came out in the last two years, and are more than capable of handling significantly more detailed and complex games, why do they struggle with Ps2 games? ;w;
Quote:hey both came out in the last two years, and are more than capable of handling significantly more detailed and complex games, why do they struggle with Ps2 games?
you are comparing native pc gaming to emulation, Which is a ridiculous nonsense.

Pcsx2 can be ways more demanding than any recent pc game.

Oh, and BTW, we don't support old pcx2 versions
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-31-2016, 10:32 PM)gigaus Wrote: GSdx: [GSdx 0 MSVC 18.00, SSSE3, 0.1.16, gsdx32-ssse3-r5875]   Render - Direct3d11(Hardware), Interlacing - None, Native Res, no other setting on.

PCSX2: v1.2.1 w/ Bios USA v02.00

I'll be real honest, I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm not sure what to provide. Nor which options to go at. 

I still don't get why those are weak. I can play pretty much any game, PC or Em, with no problem, expect on PCSX2. Even ps1 ems are fine, but that's not saying much. They both came out in the last two years, and are more than capable of handling significantly more detailed and complex games, why do they struggle with Ps2 games? ;w;

Emulation takes many many times more power than running a game natively on the hardware.
For ZoE you really need a STP (Single Thread Performance) of about 1800-2000, yours is 1598 at 4Ghz. While that's not terrible for an AMD chip it isn't quite enough for this game, which is known to be quite demanding.

PC gaming is a totally different ballgame, PC games are pretty much Graphics Card dependant and yours is fine for most PC games, however emulation is CPU dependant and you need something pretty powerful to run a majority of PS2 games at full speed.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(05-31-2016, 10:57 PM)refraction Wrote: For ZoE you really need a STP (Single Thread Performance) of about 1800-2000, yours is 1598 at 4Ghz.  While that's not terrible for an AMD chip it isn't quite enough for this game, which is known to be quite demanding.

PC gaming is a totally different ballgame, PC games are pretty much Graphics Card dependant and yours is fine for most PC games, however emulation is CPU dependant and you need something pretty powerful to run a majority of PS2 games at full speed.

Okay, so is there anything that can be done? Bar upgrading my PC just to run Ps2 games. 

And I'd like to beg the question, why does this only happen on Ps2 games? I have ems for everything gen two and down, Hell I've even tried the Ps3 and 360 ems to show how they were coming along....And none of them have the issues Ps2 games have. Is the Ps2 just special in some way, or what?
Quote:Is the Ps2 just special in some way, or what?
it is.
it has a very complex architecture, extremely far from a PC architecture

Quote:Hell I've even tried the Ps3 and 360 ems to show how they were coming along....And none of them have the issues Ps2 games have.

[Image: eb6.jpg?1307463786]
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go