Oh mighty PCSX2 sound guru (pro logic II decoder)
this is a question/request for the PCSX2 dev team.

I have been looking tirelessly to found a sound card (of modern standards) that decodes Dolby Pro Logic II signals, my current sound card supports DTS, Dolby Surround, Dolby Live, Dolby Digital... But no Dolby Pro Logic II.. in fact... nothing past the Audigy II (very old 2004) supports it. Tried Asus cards but still with no luck.. Would there be any way to add a Dolby decoder to PCSX2? I hate to draw the comparison, as i know the two projects are very, very different.. But Dolphin has a decoder for PLII.

I dove into the code to see what they could have done to do it.

I, having zero background in programming, wasn't sure if i could even make sense of it. But this link here, top of the comments, caught my eye: https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/b...ecoder.cpp

It says they use FFDShow-Tryout for their decoder. I also use it with MPC-HC, though i own no movies that have PLII to my knowledge.

Would it be possible to implement this decoder into PCSX2? Not Dolphins code as i understand it's apples to oranges, both fruit but not at all the same taste, but the FFDShow filter itself.

If not, what are the limitations as to why? (for curiosities sake)

And for that matter... Is the current upmixing in SPU2-X superior to PLII decoding?
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64

Sponsored links

None of the devs have a 5.1 system anymore, there wouldn't be a way to test it. Besides, Dolby is mostly used in cutscenes and that's even if the game even supports it.
(03-31-2017, 10:30 PM)CK1 Wrote: None of the devs have a 5.1 system anymore, there wouldn't be a way to test it. Besides, Dolby is mostly used in cutscenes and that's even if the game even supports it.

I'm aware only some games support it. It's just a feature I'd like to see. 

If a developer wants to work on it, I have an old Logitech system that I'd donate to the cause.
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64