Okami has a kind of camera lag depite getting 60FPS?
I recently redownloaded PCSX2 and tried running my Japanese version of Okami on my new comp, but there's a slight hiccup. For some reason, even though the game shows as running full FPS, the game seems to be running at something closer to 30fps and it's lagging down to about 25fps or so when I rotate the camera (while still retaining full speed). It also seems to lag a bit when the "scroll" unravels across the screen when one presses start or enter a save point and also when using the on-screen brush.

The game seems to run okay with no speedhacks or anything using the Direct3D11 option of GSdx 4600, and the game shows as running 60fps all the time (or 59.7fps or whatever it is) when the frame-limiter is set to normal and about 80-120fps when the framelimiter is set to turbo, so it's definitely not my computer (which runs an i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz / GTX570). The game actually runs very, very smooth when the framelimiter is off - the only problem is that it then runs at about twice the speed.

What could it possibly be that's causing this lag?

I know there was a thread on this topic some time in 2010, but it didn't really have anything concrete that could help. Thanks for reading.

[Image: fNqen.jpg]

TL;DR - Okami runs fullspeed @ 60fps but gameplay is laggy. GSdx 4600, Direct3D 11 Hardware Mode, 3x scaling (not that that matters), i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz, GTX570, 8GB RAM, emulator at default settings

Sponsored links

get the latest svn then it *should* be all ok Smile

everything at default at first then you can tweak the settings to your liking Tongue
Maybe you're running it from your DVD disc? If so try creating an ISO image and run that instead
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Some games don't respond well to speed hacks and present that slowdown despite the frame rate being increased. I don't know this specific game and can't say for sure the causes.

To understand what happens, think the frame rate is not the same as the changes at each frame, a still image is yet still does not matter how many times it is sampled by second, just as an extreme example.

So, the speed hack sometimes actually increase the FPS but does not help things happening faster. This is game dependent, some games can cope with higher levels of speed hacks while a few frowns from the smaller amount. Try starting from the default values and apply just enough hacks to keep things going.

If speed hack is the problem there, of course.

PS: In the console, the action is tied with the frame instead real time, this is the reason it must run at the specified FPS (what is tied with TV standards). I mean, the position of the moving object is fixed in the frame.

The emulator tries to keep the same ratio, but the speed hack changes this a bit to a more time dependent fashion, like is common in PC games where the FPS dictates only the steps for a moving object but not the time it takes to get from a point to another (within limits).

In PC this translates in higher FPS helping aiming by smoothing the weapon movement and pinpoint it more precisely, still does not change the pace of the action.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(05-10-2012, 09:57 AM)warWeeny Wrote: get the latest svn then it *should* be all ok Smile

everything at default at first then you can tweak the settings to your liking Tongue

Thanks, that seemingly improved it by around 5-10fps. Now, that leaves around another 5-10 fps more to go by hopefully tweaking the graphics settings... or something.

(05-10-2012, 10:32 AM)Bositman Wrote: Maybe you're running it from your DVD disc? If so try creating an ISO image and run that instead

Nope, this is running off a ripped .iso. The actual loading times between areas of the game are like 2 seconds, so those aren't a problem.

(05-10-2012, 03:54 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Some games don't respond well to speed hacks and present that slowdown despite the frame rate being increased. I don't know this specific game and can't say for sure the causes.

To understand what happens, think the frame rate is not the same as the changes at each frame, a still image is yet still does not matter how many times it is sampled by second, just as an extreme example.

So, the speed hack sometimes actually increase the FPS but does not help things happening faster. This is game dependent, some games can cope with higher levels of speed hacks while a few frowns from the smaller amount. Try starting from the default values and apply just enough hacks to keep things going.

If speed hack is the problem there, of course.

PS: In the console, the action is tied with the frame instead real time, this is the reason it must run at the specified FPS (what is tied with TV standards). I mean, the position of the moving object is fixed in the frame.

The emulator tries to keep the same ratio, but the speed hack changes this a bit to a more time dependent fashion, like is common in PC games where the FPS dictates only the steps for a moving object but not the time it takes to get from a point to another (within limits).

In PC this translates in higher FPS helping aiming by smoothing the weapon movement and pinpoint it more precisely, still does not change the pace of the action.

Yeah, I know. I don't have any speedhacks enabled, everything is at default settings and running at 60fps so I don't know why the game is doing this.

To clarify, here's a 5MB zip containing video files of the game running with turbo on and normal framelimiter on.
You can easily spot the smoothness difference when the game should be running at 60fps with framelimiter on.
http://www.mediafire.com/?aet4t2apapgacgt