Open filexts - playable convertion
Hello,

i have my four games working on v1.6 and v1.7 looks to be soon out, so...

The format i actually use is ISO, and i'd like to know which is recommended to use for convertion when used to play games in v1.7, to work like RVZ (and how i set it to be converted) for Wii ISOs in Dolphin.

exemple:
i used Dolphin right click tool to convert (without compression and blocks size set to best compatibility, see image attach.) to RVZ and it was effectively a gain in size for my 3 Wii games...
... i'd like to have no-compression and blocks setting if availables set the same way on my PS2 games, because i don't need high colrpession but prefer wider emulator compatibility.

Tools found :
chdman
maxcso
PSXiSO-0.1R4 - uses chd on cue /zso on iso (outdated compressors exe in archive), IDK about zso !

//

.bin - .iso - .cue // !!

.chd - .cso - .gz ======= one of this three ??? Which is the most recommended for playing, and setting command line to no-compression and block size possible ??

.elf - .irx - gs.xz - gs.zst // ????

.dump

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

chd for cd games, cso for dvds
use the parameter --block=16384 to compress DVDs with maxcso
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-19-2023, 09:25 AM)jesalvein Wrote: chd for cd games, cso for dvds
use the parameter --block=16384 to compress DVDs with maxcso

I do not use a specific compression algorythm ?.. on github dev tells for emulator to use --use-zopfli, about me, i want only compression that emu handles the best and fastest.  zopfli took ages to compress when i tested.

I used :

Code:
maxcso.exe --block=16384 "ISOName.iso"
pause

Well thanks.

OKay, found about :
https://github.com/unknownbrackets/maxcso/issues/42

And also BATCHes linked by "refraction":
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=...foldergrid
you currently use ISO format for your games, I would recommend trying out the CHD format for your PS2 games, as it's the most widely supported format for PS2 emulation.

For converting your ISO files to CHD, you can use a tool like chdman, which you mentioned in your message. You can set the command line to no-compression and block size if it's available in the tool's settings. However, keep in mind that a larger block size may negatively affect performance, so you might want to experiment with different block sizes to find the best balance between compatibility and performance.

Regarding the other file formats you mentioned, .elf and .irx are files used by PS2 homebrew software, and gs.xz and gs.zst are compressed graphics plugins for the PCSX2 emulator. If you're not using any PS2 homebrew or the PCSX2 emulator, you don't need to worry about these file formats.

In summary, I would recommend using the CHD format for your PS2 games and experimenting with different block sizes to find the best balance between compatibility and performance. Good luck with your PS2 emulation!