Poll: Is it time to upgrade your GPU !
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I already own a GL4/DX11 GPU Smile
93.18%
82 93.18%
GL3/DX10 GPU/SandyBridge with no plan to upgrade
5.68%
5 5.68%
GL3/DX10 GPU/Sandybridge but will upgrade soon
1.14%
1 1.14%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

OpenGL 4 dilemma
(08-28-2015, 04:10 PM)avih Wrote: We already maintain SW rendering anyway, but not being able to render it to screen because GSdx "requires" OpenGL 4 is a bit of a shame IMO. We should support SW rendering IMO with really minimal HW/driver requirements.

(We did have SDL, which was also a portable backend, I actually liked it as a fallback SW backend, but it got removed...)

IMO we should generically have OGL as the ONLY software mode, this is cross-compatible with Linux and Windows and every GPU supports OpenGL to some Extent, rather than keeping a DX9, DX11 and OpenGL software mode, just have one listed, this would be tidier for the code base with minimal drawbacks. As you say, there should be no special GPU requirements beyond drawing the result which pretty much every version of OpenGL can do.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

I read on nvidia's blog that tesla drivers support will soon gonna be on legecy support , so. i think their will be No problem to go on and drop the support for older things which is already reaching thier limits .
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(08-28-2015, 04:10 PM)avih Wrote: We already maintain SW rendering anyway, but not being able to render it to screen because GSdx "requires" OpenGL 4 is a bit of a shame IMO. We should support SW rendering IMO with really minimal HW/driver requirements.

I didn't think that Opengl (software mode) also will be dropped due to this, rendering a quad doesn't need any advanced features though.

Quote:(We did have SDL, which was also a portable backend, I actually liked it as a fallback SW backend, but it got removed...)

SDL isn't much useful TBH.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(08-28-2015, 04:30 PM)refraction Wrote: As you say, there should be no special GPU requirements beyond drawing the result which pretty much every version of OpenGL can do.

While pretty much any OpenGL version _should_ work for SW rendering, GSdx currently insists on OpenGL 3, seems likely that soon to be OpenGL 4. This has been the main reason I ouldn't test PCSX2 on linux in a VM. It worked With SDL, but now everything runs fine except GSdx shows either a black window or doesn't load at all (do note that I didn't try it very recently though).

Also this subject is besides the topic, but still related to minimal requirements for PCSX2/GSdx (in SW mode).