Poll: Is it time to upgrade your GPU !
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I already own a GL4/DX11 GPU Smile
93.18%
82 93.18%
GL3/DX10 GPU/SandyBridge with no plan to upgrade
5.68%
5 5.68%
GL3/DX10 GPU/Sandybridge but will upgrade soon
1.14%
1 1.14%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

OpenGL 4 dilemma
(08-18-2015, 10:31 PM)theodore7 Wrote: yes

Vote moved Smile

Wow this is more of a landslide than i expected...
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

Lol rekt 35/35 100%
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I play sporadically on a laptop with an Nvidia 9400m and a Core2Duo, but I still have OpenGL4 hardware on my main devices and think PCSX2 can safely adopt that as a requirement for newer OpenGL GSDx versions; the increase in accuracy as of late also starts to overpower older CPU/GPU combos anyway Smile
I think it's safe to move on at this point, especially if supporting older hardware will take away from any progression.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
OpenGL 4 and beyond
OGLFTW
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(08-19-2015, 05:01 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: OGLFTW

Yea, as long as you have an Nvidia GPU. This is my first AMD/ATI GPU since an ATI@Play 98 which I got my dad to get me so I could play FFVII on PC way back in 1999. I currently have an AMD MSI R7 265 OC and OGL is so much slower than DX11. I honestly don't see AMD jumping on the OpenGL bandwagon now considering how long they have had abysmal support for OpenGL. I kinda regret switching camps as far as PSCX2 emulation goes. In other areas it's not really a big issue though.
PC: Intel i7 6700
       16 GB DDR4 2400 RAM
       ASUS Phoenix GTX 1660 SUPER OC
It's not the hardware, but rather the driver. The free driver on Linux supports much more than AMD proprietary does even on Windows, for example.

But anyway it only matters with OGL. Our DX11 backend isn't going away(that would be foolish IMO). PCSX2 on DX11 will continue to work as it does now, it just may not get the new accuracy stuff that is only possible with some of the newer GL extensions.
(08-19-2015, 06:00 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: It's not the hardware, but rather the driver. The free driver on Linux supports much more than AMD proprietary does even on Windows, for example.

But anyway it only matters with OGL. Our DX11 backend isn't going away(that would be foolish IMO). PCSX2 on DX11 will continue to work as it does now, it just may not get the new accuracy stuff that is only possible with some of the newer GL extensions.

Well unless you're using a linux distro it might as well be hardware, but I get your point. It is a shame though that DX development has kind of stalled/slowed considerably. Shouldn't really complain though considering development is all done on a volunteer basis. I'm just glad I can play PS2 games on my PC. The improvements over my PS2 skinny are quite spectacular in some games if not all. Never, ever look a gift horse in the mouth. That's a really messed up saying. Why would I look inside a horse mouth to begin with, regardless of whether it was a gift or not?
PC: Intel i7 6700
       16 GB DDR4 2400 RAM
       ASUS Phoenix GTX 1660 SUPER OC
(08-19-2015, 06:11 AM)cloudbill Wrote: Well unless you're using a linux distro it might as well be hardware, but I get your point. It is a shame though that DX development has kind of stalled/slowed considerably. Shouldn't really complain though considering development is all done on a volunteer basis. I'm just glad I can play PS2 games on my PC. The improvements over my PS2 skinny are quite spectacular in some games if not all. Never, ever look a gift horse in the mouth. That's a really messed up saying. Why would I look inside a horse mouth to begin with, regardless of whether is was a gift or not?

Lol @ the horse stuff

The reason DX backend has fallen behind is not because we don't want to update it or anything like that, but because it simply doesn't support what we need it to. OGL 4+ has some extensions that make it possible to do things in ways we couldn't before. This is why we have managed to negate the need for many game specific hacks under OGL and added lots of new accurate stuff for it. To port those changes to DX would likely result in something convoluted and slow at best. It simply doesn't support doing the things we need to do in some cases.

It's a shame that AMD won't support OGL better(just like Nvidia won't OCL). But that's on them. The hardware can, as the free Linux driver shows. They just don't wanna put forth the effort. But, we shouldn't hold ourselves back because of that. I had an AMD GPU (7870) until a few months ago, and I would still be saying the same thing if I still did.