Poll: Is it time to upgrade your GPU !
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I already own a GL4/DX11 GPU Smile
93.18%
82 93.18%
GL3/DX10 GPU/SandyBridge with no plan to upgrade
5.68%
5 5.68%
GL3/DX10 GPU/Sandybridge but will upgrade soon
1.14%
1 1.14%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

OpenGL 4 dilemma
Dears users,

As you know all the marketing hype is about DX12/Vulkan/others but DX11/GL4 features are barely used. A couple of GL4 features are used but they're all optional. In short I want to use more of them and make some of them mandatory. Unfortunately it means some GPU/drivers won't be supported anymore. I would like to know if you're still using an old GPU and what is your plan for the future. 

You can find below a status of GL implementation of all platforms (OLD GPU only)

Proprietary driver (Windows/Linux):
* Sandy Bridge: 3.1 <= not supported
* Ivy bridge: 4.0      <= will be dropped
* Haswell: 4.3 (or 4.4) <= it is a shame they only support GPU for 1 years... I will try to support it.

* AMD DX10 (up to HD4XXX): 3.3 + a bunch of extensions <= will likely be dropped.
* Nvidia (before fermi): 3.3 + a bunch of extensions <= will likely be dropped.

Free driver (Linux):
* Sandy Bridge: 3.3  + a bunch of extensions <= might be dropped.
* Ivy bridge and later: 3.3 + a lot of extension <= will be supported

* AMD DX10 (up to HD4XXX): 3.3 + a lot of extension <= might be supported
* Nvidia (before fermi): 3.3 + a lot of extensions <= migtht be supported

Special proprietary implementation (OSx):
* GL4.1 + a couple of extra extensions <= might be annoying if someone want to port GSdx-ogl.

Sponsored links

only support for Tesla will likely be dropped on the Nvidia side then ? pretty much everything after the 400 series were Fermi so wouldn't be much problem I guess. Smile
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(08-18-2015, 05:30 PM)ssakash Wrote: only support for Tesla will likely be dropped on the Nvidia side then ? pretty much everything after the 400 series were Fermi so wouldn't be much problem I guess. Smile

Yeah, pretty much.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
I think this would be the time to split GSDX to have a legacy version for old GPU's before any of these huge changes are implemented. If people want the newer, better emulated stuff they will need to get a newer GPU.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

also the guy who vote for "GL3/DX10 GPU/Sandybridge but will upgrade soon" had a GT 520M listed at his signature which is a Fermi and is Opengl 4.0+ compatible. Tongue2
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
My vote goes to OpenGL 4. Old APIs for very old GPUs mustn't get in the way of better accuracy and/or performance  Biggrin .
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz CL30 DDR5
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
Go for it, who cannot use the new version can always go back to the old ones, version 1.3 isn't going anywhere.
Do it, I think the dolphin team had done it too (drop legacy support to focus on future accuracy and speed improvements)
i have the slowest tier but i have it. Biggrin and i posted it already. go for it. i know it can make things fast.
Drop the old and bring in the new stuff.

Anyways, GTX 650, Intel hd 4400, GTX 560 ti sometime soon, and a 980 TI by next friday
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]