OpenGL not supported by latest svn PCSX2 with AMD Radeon HD
Why is PCSX2 still utilizing older OpenGL extensions (v3.3) while on the contrary my HD 7790 fully supports v4.3 with latest 13.8 Beta Driver ?

[Image: Mo4vvAJ.png?1]

[Image: sfyDPWG.png?1]

Sponsored links

There are some 4.0+ extensions being used with the OpenGL GSdx (ported over from Linux a couple weeks ago.) The minimum standard used is 3.3.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Moved out of bug reports
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-12-2013, 07:48 PM)sumitlian Wrote: Why is PCSX2 still utilizing older OpenGL extensions (v3.3) while on the contrary my HD 7790 fully supports v4.3 with latest 13.8 Beta Driver ?

[Image: Mo4vvAJ.png?1]

[Image: sfyDPWG.png?1]

OpenGL support is also still in it's very early stages and will likely never be the preferred option in windows due to driver optimizations favoring windows API (specifically DirectX)
[Image: 2748844.png]
Quote:Why is PCSX2 still utilizing older OpenGL extensions (v3.3) while on the contrary my HD 7790 fully supports v4.3 with latest 13.8 Beta Driver ?
You care too much about number Wink As DaTankAC said 3.3 is only the minial number then I can pull extra GL4 extensions (soon gl4.4 Wink. It is very interesting for people with older card because you can use 4.x features even if the card doesn't fully support opengl 4. If I create a GL4.3 context I would require a GPU that support tesselation even if it is completely useless on PCSX2...

(08-12-2013, 09:49 PM)Koji Wrote: will likely never be the preferred option in windows due to driver optimizations favoring windows API (specifically DirectX)
Who know Tongue2
Technically drivers are optmized for games therefore D3D. There is a possibility that future game will use more&more opengl. Besides, at least 90% (if not 99%) of opengl developper uses windows.
(08-13-2013, 02:02 PM)gregory Wrote: Who know Tongue2
Technically drivers are optmized for games therefore D3D. There is a possibility that future game will use more&more opengl. Besides, at least 90% (if not 99%) of opengl developper uses windows.

This is true, of course, simply because most programmers use windows (since that is where there target audience is).

Do not get me wrong, I'd love for OpenGL to become the predominant API of most games. It would certainly make porting games to other systems easier (not just linux and mac, but also ease future porting to tablets and phones). That said, every few years a storm of "OpenGL will one day replace DirectX!" happens. The last time was when Vista came out with DX10 exclusivity. Before that when Quake Wars: Enemy Territory came out. Though I guess most recently it was when Steam came to linux... Though at least that was probably a real step towards it as a possibility, but the sales probably aren't enough to justify the big guys moving in that direction.

But I digress and lead the thread off topic.
[Image: 2748844.png]
You're maybe right. Reality is opengl debugger/profiler are windows only.... On linux you only got the far-from-finish free drivers.

I said only there will be potentially more games (ie more than id software game) not a dx replacement Wink The choice of the API isn't because one is superior to others (90% of the api is a mere 1:1 mapping between opengl and dx) but because dev are used to the tool/debugger/profiler. Opengl will replace dx, if the PC/xbox market (aka Windows world) died completely in favor of tablets/phone/console (all but xbox), not for tommorow if it ever happen one day.
Now I understand you all guys. Thanks for telling. I never care about higher number and I fully understand its just raw performance until its utilized by functions and instructions sets. I just wanted to know why pcsx2 log showed those errors telling my driver is buggy, while on the contrary graphic driver fully supports all feature till 4.3. And if its held back to support 3.3 only for universal compatibility. Then no problem, directX doing well for me in Windows Smile like "Shadow of the Colossus" 35-55fps" 1080p

one thing I still don't know. Is PCSX2 compiled using ICC ?
Quote:pcsx2 log showed those errors telling my driver is buggy, while on the contrary graphic driver fully supports all feature till 4.3.
pcsx2 say that the GL_ARB_separate_shader_object is buggy as hell on your driver. So yes they could mark it as supported, but no it isn't usable.

Others are only "info" of some code that I need to debug first.