OpenGL rendering
I noticed this new renderer on late SVN Versions.

Sorry if I'm asking stupid question but what got this rendering over usual D3D rendering ? What's the interest about using it ?

Sponsored links

(06-22-2013, 05:28 PM)Nishi No Houou Wrote: I noticed this new renderer on late SVN Versions.

Sorry if I'm asking stupid question but what got this rendering over usual D3D rendering ? What's the interest about using it ?

Sorry but this is a stupid questionWink. if you have noticed the performance on the last revision 5674 is awesome. you can compare it with dx renderer, one code can run on many platforms(Windows Mac Linux with minor changes in context initialization part), that's the promise of OGL. who knows maybe someday someone will port it to mobile platforms as well. so GLES is a way. I believe that OGL will push DX away because of it's simplicity portability and performance, also developer then implementing an algorithm on OGL not always are willing to re-implement the same on the DX but that's just my vision.
I tried OGL rendering on DBZ BT3, I didn't notice any performing improvement.
And there has a lot of bugs but I guess it's still on progress.

I tried OGL with Yakuza 1 & 2, I have no image. i guess it cannot renderer those games.
(06-22-2013, 05:49 PM)r9guy Wrote: Sorry but this is a stupid questionWink.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, at least not if it's asked in a polite way.

Nishi: OpenGL is platform independent. That is, it works on Linux/mac as well as Windows (something D3D can't say). The devs are working hard to translate the much better compatibility/speed wise D3D plugin GSDX to OpenGL instead of trying to work with the abhorrantly outdated OpenGL plugin that those ports currently use.

As such, the OpenGL renderer is included in the windows version mostly to be "complete." It's still in beta and isn't likely to be as fast or as compatible as DX11... yet. When it's complete, it'll still likely be better to use D3D in windows simply because the windows drivers are catered to it... but more options are never a bad thing, especially when those options are the only ones available on certain platforms.
[Image: 2748844.png]
OK, thx for the explanations, Koji.
(06-22-2013, 06:00 PM)Koji Wrote: There is no such thing as a stupid question, at least not if it's asked in a polite way.

sorry if I heart anyone, said in a joking manner.

(06-22-2013, 05:54 PM)Nishi No Houou Wrote: I tried OGL rendering on DBZ BT3, I didn't notice any performing improvement.
And there has a lot of bugs but I guess it's still on progress.

I tried OGL with Yakuza 1 & 2, I have no image. i guess it cannot renderer those games.

try software renderer. press f9 in a game. works for many games.
I tryed OPG Hardware, this is more fast than dX11. There are manny bugs but..
(06-22-2013, 06:00 PM)Koji Wrote: Nishi: OpenGL is platform independent. That is, it works on Linux/mac as well as Windows (something D3D can't say). The devs are working hard to translate the much better compatibility/speed wise D3D plugin GSDX to OpenGL instead of trying to work with the abhorrantly outdated OpenGL plugin that those ports currently use.

As such, the OpenGL renderer is included in the windows version mostly to be "complete." It's still in beta and isn't likely to be as fast or as compatible as DX11... yet. When it's complete, it'll still likely be better to use D3D in windows simply because the windows drivers are catered to it... but more options are never a bad thing, especially when those options are the only ones available on certain platforms.
So does it mean that devs are going to work only on OpenGL rendering and D3D rendering will be no longer improved/fixed ?

(06-22-2013, 07:40 PM)r9guy Wrote: try software renderer. press f9 in a game. works for many games.
I don't like software renderer. I hate original graphics of PS2 games with low resolution and aliasing.

I prefer HD graphics of hardware rendering. Tongue
GL version of the plugin is still fresh and has some bugs some can made it look worser than it is for example graphic is broken every time you open GSdx configTongue(~ switching plugin to another fixes that in windows).
GL version means mostly an opening for other platforms now, especially linux which before was at best limited to Software mode. In the end GL can work pretty much similar to how DX11 version works now, but don't expect huge changes in DX version itself. Both DX and GL are limited by hardware and drivers, PS2 Post processing effects being broken, accuracy bugs etc, it all mostly ends with what we experience now.

At least before those AMD apu's and it's ideas used in next gen consoles start to be a reality for pc users. Gabest himself seem to be interested in that alot so pretty much anyone even without any serious knowledge in that matter can say the future looks very promising for improvements in GSdx.<3
Well, if one looks to the history behind DX one will know it started as a handcapped version of OGL. And that's still today, OGL is yet the choice for professional applications.

What makes DX looking better is only the fact most games are designed under it. Lately DX developed more at it's own (like almost every other MS software which starts as a clone of something and then gains proper features over time).

OGL is not simpler, actually it is more complex and feature rich than DX, but is not tailored for games and then games become harder to design and code with it. But if well done it is well done.
Imagination is where we are truly real