OpenGL slower than D3D11 ?
Hi guys, newb here.

I'm trying to get Baldur's gate playable, and it's mostly there, however if I switch to opengl hardware as recommended, things get slower for me than with D3D11.  So I'd like to figure out how to run opengl hardware properly, and also fix my game.   I guess that may be one or two problems depending on how you look at it.

I am running an AMD II X4 640 and an RX480 8GB on Windows 10.
I've followed pretty much all the instructions I've found for Baldur's Gate, and it's mooostly there, but not quite.
I'm running latest git as of today.

thanks for any advice

Sponsored links

OpenGL is terrible on AMD graphics cards due to a terrible driver, there isn't really much you can do about that.

I would recommend using the D3D11 driver and use the "Fast Invalidation" hw hack as this really helps the Snowblind engine games
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

The best fix would be to replace your AMD CPU with an Intel CPU and your AMD GPU with an NVIDIA GPU.

AMD GPU's are slow with OpenGL because of an AMD driver issue.
And AMD CPU's just aren't very good for PCSX2, and yours just barely makes the minimum requirements for playing 3D games in PCSX2.
You have a good gfx card and a super bad CPU, it is such a waste. The CPU is more important for emulators. Anyway, if D3D11 is faster, why not use that?
(03-06-2017, 04:01 AM)AnotherLife Wrote: Anyway, if D3D11 is faster, why not use that?

because of this :
Quote:I've followed pretty much all the instructions I've found for Baldur's Gate
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(03-06-2017, 01:16 AM)FlatOut Wrote: The best fix would be to replace your AMD CPU with an Intel CPU and your AMD GPU with an NVIDIA GPU.

AMD GPU's are slow with OpenGL because of an AMD driver issue.
And AMD CPU's just aren't very good for PCSX2, and yours just barely makes the minimum requirements for playing 3D games in PCSX2.

any benchmarks with Ryzen CPUs? Planning to buy soon, at least software rendering should be great with 16 threads
(03-06-2017, 09:13 AM)xantier Wrote: any benchmarks with Ryzen CPUs? Planning to buy soon, at least software rendering should be great with 16 threads

see this
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I still don't understand why but it seems accurate blending on basic help to increase fps on snow engine game. It is true only on Nvidia because AMD driver is just sloooooow (when it manages to not BSOD).

Quote:any benchmarks with Ryzen CPUs? Planning to buy soon, at least software rendering should be great with 16 threads
SW renderer doesn't scale so well after 6-8 threads. Besides perf will go down when SMT is used.