Optimized Linux Configuration
Dear experts,

I'm following your project from time to time and now would appreciate to get some of your insight.

I'm up to build an arcade cabinet for my boy that should run on retropie and support most of the systems that i played in my childhood.

As you can imagine PS2 will be the hardware bottleneck, so i'm up to plan the hardware that will run PS2 at least in native solution.
(AA, 60fps and higher res of course would be appreciated Smile )

First i was thinking of an Udoo Bolt V8 as base (https://www.udoo.org/udoo-bolt/) but as PCSX2 has a better compability to 32bit systems i thought it would be beneficial to build the system up from scratch.

So now you i ask: If you would like to build up a system on linux (Ubuntu/retropie) which would play PS2 games with enhanced graphics, what would it look like? Of course money is a constraint, so think of <1000 € for board, gpu, cpu and ram

I thank you in advance and sorry if i missed to check a relevant thread before.

Best Regards
Matthias

Sponsored links

Are you building this system ONLY for PCSX2, or do you have other requirements as well?

What do you consider "enhanced graphics"(How high should the Internal resolution / Monitor resolution be)?

Why do you think PCSX2 runs better on a 32-bit system? You should not build (new) 32bit Systems for Desktop/Servers anymore these days, you can OFC run PCSX2 and most/all 32-bit Applications you will need on a 64-bit system without troubles.

I'm using PCSX2 on Linux also (Mint, which is based on Ubuntu), but my Hardware is not a good reference for new systems Laugh

If you provide some more information about your use-case, there might be more reactions here Wink
Tired of always changing your PCSX2 Configuration for different games?

Check this out: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-MultiConfigTool
(05-08-2019, 10:04 PM)XXXBold Wrote: Are you building this system ONLY for PCSX2, or do you have other requirements as well?

What do you consider "enhanced graphics"(How high should the Internal resolution / Monitor resolution be)?

Why do you think PCSX2 runs better on a 32-bit system? You should not build (new) 32bit Systems for Desktop/Servers anymore these days, you can OFC run PCSX2 and most/all 32-bit Applications you will need on a 64-bit system without troubles.

I'm using PCSX2 on Linux also (Mint, which is based on Ubuntu), but my Hardware is not a good reference for new systems Laugh

If you provide some more information about your use-case, there might be more reactions here Wink

Thanks for your feedback. Happy
Sorry for letting you wait for my answers.

No it shouldn't run only PCSX2. I was thinking of setting it up like a small media center for my boy using retropie/emulationstation under ubuntu 18.04.
From my recent examinations current hardware should be able to deliver 60fps @ 1080p resolution on a TV screen, right?

Forget about my 64bit statement, i've learned that this isn't right. Blush

At the moment i consider two scenarios for that system

1) All components to be bought new:
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G @ 3.60 GHz
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16 GB DDR4-2666

2) All components to be bought used from ebay:
Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz
GPU tbd (<- recommondations?)
8 GB DDR3

1) with SSD, powersupply, case and fans is around 780 €, Guess 2) should be 40-60% the cost of 1).
(05-23-2019, 11:10 AM)Matz585 Wrote: From my recent examinations current hardware should be able to deliver 60fps @ 1080p resolution on a TV screen, right?

depends on the PS2 games you own.
Quote:2) All components to be bought used from ebay:
Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz
GPU tbd (<- recommondations?)
8 GB DDR3
1) with SSD, powersupply, case and fans is around 780 €, Guess 2) should be 40-60% the cost of 1).
I'd go for scenario 2 because that CPU has a better STR than the Ryzen 5.
Keep an NVIDIA card for OGL rendering
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-23-2019, 11:18 AM)jesalvein Wrote: depends on the PS2 games you own.
I'd go for scenario 2 because that CPU has a better STR than the Ryzen 5.
Keep an NVIDIA card for OGL rendering

Thanks Jesalvein.

The two most loved games in my collection are Metal Gear Solid 3 and GTA 4.
Ah, and of course Guitar Hero Smile

NVDIA should be GTX series? Is there any bigger difference for PCSX2 between at GTX 710ti with 2gb Ram and 4g Ram?