Optimizing PCSX2 for Lower-end PC
I'm a bit new to PS2 emulation (although not new to emulation in general), but I have set up everything for PCSX2 (followed the configuration guide). I'm only using the emulator to try out Kingdom Hearts right now because I heard it's one of the more compatible games.

Anyways, I was wondering if any of the speed hacks would help for this game because the FPS drops down around 30 once I get past the tutorial and into the island (or boat?) where you start talking to people. What would be the best speed hacks to try? Should I run two speed hacks at once, like an EE Sync Hack and an INTC Sync Hack?

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (2.2ghz)
3GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD4550 512MB GDDR3
Vista SP2

Right now I'm using the GSdx graphic plug-in and basically the default plug-ins. Is there other ways to optimize the game, besides speed hacks, to run at 60 FPS? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored links

My rig is worse than yours. I only have a 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB RAM and I am able to play a lot of my games with only minor problems. Although I am not too familiar with your graphics card it does look like your CPU speed is the weak point.

My suggestion and it is what I am doing to play my games, speed hacks, and lots of them. In order to get my games to run at 60 fps or close to it I have to have all speed hacks on, or at least most of them on. First try running the game with all speed hacks on, if you have crashes or annoying glitches try playing around with it a bit and turn off one speed hack at a time and see what the difference is.
I have a cpu with a speed close to yours Its a 4400+ @2.336GHz
But I have overclocked it to 2.676GHz and game speeds have improved.
This, however, I have done on stock cooling. If your ambient temperature is low and you have a decent airflow going inside your PC case then you can also overclock and get better speed.
For any more speed, you will have to rely on the speedhacks, no way else.
Make sure you choose DX10(hardware) in GSdx, usually using all speedhacks at same time shouldnt give any trouble. Try using the latest beta and enable native checkbox in GSdx maybe? did you follow the configuration guide? Tongue
Thanks for the tips, I'll try some of them (except for the overclocking ones). For the most part, the FPS drops to about 70-80% any where there is a lot of background to render, like an ocean or something. Other than that it runs at 100% inside buildings and such.

Yes, I did follow the configuration guide. I don't have any custom cooling solution, its all OEM stuff. I basically just take off the case cover when running the emulator.
also if you're going to use the VU Cycle Steal speed hack then don't go over the Moderate setting Smile (or KH will start to have wierd glitches during the scene that donald and goofy are going to ride the gummy ship Smile)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
(06-01-2009, 05:52 AM)Dadaluma83 Wrote: My rig is worse than yours. I only have a 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB RAM and I am able to play a lot of my games with only minor problems. Although I am not too familiar with your graphics card it does look like your CPU speed is the weak point.

My suggestion and it is what I am doing to play my games, speed hacks, and lots of them. In order to get my games to run at 60 fps or close to it I have to have all speed hacks on, or at least most of them on. First try running the game with all speed hacks on, if you have crashes or annoying glitches try playing around with it a bit and turn off one speed hack at a time and see what the difference is.

Your rig's alot better. The core 2 duo's are superior to the X2's clock for clock.

To the OP, try experimenting with speed hacks.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
Native resolution only helps if you have a weak video card ... your card can go up to 2048x2048 internal res with minimal speed impact
Use Pixel Shader 3
VU Cycle stealing is the greatest speed hack that has been implemented into pcsx2
Your video card can use all of GSDX`s settings without impact on performance, it`s just you CPU that limits your experience. Of course, i could recommend to overclock even if you have stock cooling. AMD64 cpu`s have low temperature and you could go up 300 - 400 Mhz without overheating too much. Keep in mind that 80 - 85 degrees for the CPU IT`S NOT THAT MUCH. Prescott cpu`s used to run at 75 degrees at idle and got to 90 - 95 in load. Stop fearing temperatures, the cpu won`t brake up until 110 degrees or so at which point it`s going to restart or shut down the computer by itself. Same goes for the GPU`s that can go up to 110 easily
The best solution if you are fearing overheating is that you keep your computer in a room with an air conditioner set to 16 - 18 degrees, keep the case locked and have 2 fans on the case, close to the CPU and VGA - the one on top should be set to pump air out and the bottom one to push air in. Also clean the dust and you won`t have problems
(06-01-2009, 12:52 PM)bcelmo Wrote: Native resolution only helps if you have a weak video card ... your card can go up to 2048x2048 internal res with minimal speed impact
Use Pixel Shader 3
VU Cycle stealing is the greatest speed hack that has been implemented into pcsx2
Your video card can use all of GSDX`s settings without impact on performance, it`s just you CPU that limits your experience. Of course, i could recommend to overclock even if you have stock cooling. AMD64 cpu`s have low temperature and you could go up 300 - 400 Mhz without overheating too much. Keep in mind that 80 - 85 degrees for the CPU IT`S NOT THAT MUCH. Prescott cpu`s used to run at 75 degrees at idle and got to 90 - 95 in load. Stop fearing temperatures, the cpu won`t brake up until 110 degrees or so at which point it`s going to restart or shut down the computer by itself. Same goes for the GPU`s that can go up to 110 easily
The best solution if you are fearing overheating is that you keep your computer in a room with an air conditioner set to 16 - 18 degrees, keep the case locked and have 2 fans on the case, close to the CPU and VGA - the one on top should be set to pump air out and the bottom one to push air in. Also clean the dust and you won`t have problems

Uh, maybe AMD's are different, but anything over 70C on an intel is usually bad news. If your CPU EVER gets to 110 degrees, shut your computer down immediately.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(06-01-2009, 12:52 PM)bcelmo Wrote: Native resolution only helps if you have a weak video card ... your card can go up to 2048x2048 internal res with minimal speed impact
Use Pixel Shader 3
This is all wrong......

Except from the cooling advice.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.