Overclocking the Emotion Engine
@nosisab: EE cyclerate = Framerate.
I found something really interesting.
Ok, here example :
Try to change EE slider 3 ( it mean reduce EE 50%) then try increase framerate Ntsc=120,Pal=100. In slider says if we set to 3 it will stuttering and many FMV, But when I test some game (dynasty 5 Empire) nothing happen. The game run faster and perfect, usually when i set that game to slider 3 and game at default framerate, game become slower and stuttering frame.
You could try on your stuttering game. Smile

Sponsored links

(05-06-2013, 06:32 PM)billyash Wrote: @nosisab: EE cyclerate = Framerate.

EE cyclerate is not equal to framerate, not even similar. Games run faster becase you are underclocking the EE, that means that the emulator has to do less per frame, so your frame rate goes up, but this can break games which is why it's a hack.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(05-06-2013, 06:36 PM)refraction Wrote: EE cyclerate is not equal to framerate, not even similar. Games run faster becase you are underclocking the EE, that means that the emulator has to do less per frame, so your frame rate goes up, but this can break games which is why it's a hack.

what Im focus is stuttering, FMV and "slowness" that happen on games,when you reduce EE 50% then try increase ntsc=120,pal=100. Your games won't have issue above Smile. Issue above occur On dynasty 5 empire when we reduce EE 50%, but since we doubled framerate .issu above not occur.
Im wondering ( '',), are you read my post?

Believe me, test it Smile
(05-06-2013, 05:57 PM)The Old Refuge Wrote: so the OCing will let us have 120FPS in 60 FPS causing richer and more smooth game play

hahaha, yes but double speed also Smile unless it is compensated and the compensation is the actual problem.

PS: The difficulty seems to understand FPS and "speed" aren't necessarily the same thing but it is so in PS2 as much as it is so in a celluloid film and TV. PC games not linking pace with FPS makes harder that comprehension and leads to confusion. In a PC game greater FPS means greater smoothness indeed because the "steps" length (and their amount) between moving objects position changes but not the time the moving object takes to get from point A to point B.

In PS2 if no compensation is done, the steps are the same but the object will get from point A to point B in half the time at double FPS.

PPS: In the end all this can be resumed in: to make things working this way in PS2 games you need a way to make the number of steps double but need a way to make then half length at same time...
Imagination is where we are truly real
so reading this have got me to diffrent roller coasters Wacko

so lets end this up with only confusion :

we have OCed the PS2 totally from EE to DEV9 by 200% in PCSX2 ( Laugh )

and we are running game X what will happen :

the game will run full speed using half amount of virtual PS2 resources ( useless )

the game will run double the speed ( also useless we can disable frame limiter )

the game will become smoother ( whatever that is Laugh )
(05-06-2013, 07:33 PM)The Old Refuge Wrote: we have OCed the PS2 totally from EE to DEV9 by 200% in PCSX2 ( Laugh )
Now you've confused me ;p
(05-06-2013, 07:33 PM)The Old Refuge Wrote: and we are running game X what will happen :

the game will run full speed using half amount of virtual PS2 resources ( useless )
Well, yes and no, the Game for the processing it HAS to do will take half the time, but it will have to make time wasting happen for the other half.
(05-06-2013, 07:33 PM)The Old Refuge Wrote: the game will run double the speed ( also useless we can disable frame limiter )

the game will become smoother ( whatever that is Laugh )
Sorry, but it won't be double the speed, if anything on the emulator it will be HALF the speed as we have to do MORE work. On the real console it would be faster (if it even worked ;p)

Edit: I should point out the speed it is emulating would probably half (or reduce significantly), not the capped frame rate. If it was running at 120 FPS before, then it will be doing say between 60 and 100 FPS now, so it will still run at full speed with the frame limiter on. But if the game was previously running at barely 60 FPS, it's likely it could drop to 40 or 50 FPS max.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

so really what we will be gaining Speed loss !
Let's not mess with the EE For now.maybe some work can be done on speedhacks to make them more compatible Tongue2
There's some interaction going on with this that we call "the timing".
Some games can benefit from an EE overclock, some just drain more host CPU for no benefit,
some games break and some have a mix of all that.

The idea is to provide the option for it and let people decide if they want to use it or not.
Ok, None test it Sad

(05-06-2013, 09:02 PM)rama Wrote: an EE overclock, some just drain more host CPU for no benefit
that won't happen if set half framerate