Overclocking the Emotion Engine
I've seen some old discussion about this but I haven't been able to find any recent information. What I'm trying to find out is if there is any way, through a plugin or something, to overclock the emotion engine to improve upon how a game played on the original hardware? For example games like R.A.D. (developed by Sandlot for Enix) which ran horribly on the PS2 (Sandlot always seems to say, frame rate be damned regardless of what system they are developing for). It would be great to be able to play a game like R.A.D. with a higher internal frame rate.
Any information is appreciated.

Sponsored links

Not going to happen. The main aim of the project is accuracy.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
well we Downgrade EE in PCSX2

with the EE Cycle rate hack because emulating weaker things is faster

with OCed EE we don't know what the hell will need to pull it out !!!

not to mention all the bugs and complex

so doesn't worth the shot if you asked me .
The EE cycle rate and VU cycle stealing hacks can break enough games when used as it is.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
Guys what he is concern is EE clock, since "real PS2" console play it horribly.
If there slider increase EE cock rate it'll be great but currently PCSX2 Only has down EE clock Smile. So it up the dev Smile
This was attempted once, and has to be done in the compilation (changing the source code and compiling, I mean). But is not a good approach because it is prone to cause desyinc problems as much as reducing the virtual EE speed (like in EE cyclestealing) does.

Billy got it correctly, the OP is not worried with low speed at all but quality. Sadly that's not the best approach or so I believe.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Dolphin has it too, Double emulate GPU clock rate (in PS2 it's called EE). And
They put it as hack and per game setting ( i don't mean to compare i just inform you guys) Smile
EE is the main PS2 Processing unit while the GS is the GPU so this is totally different ! Wink
(05-04-2013, 05:45 PM)The Old Refuge Wrote: EE is the main PS2 Processing unit while the GS is the GPU so this is totally different ! Wink

Yeah, and there are the VUs also which is hard to tell if it is extension of EE or GS, both or otherwise Smile

PS2 is a mess of hardware compared to more conventional CPU + GPU approach and even that duo is being integrated in a single APU or whatever is called the integration.

Edit: actually is not easy to call GS same as the GPU, it would if the VUs were integrated in it like in actual GPUs.

PS: Was already announced that Kaveri will make that differentiation CPU GPU harder for redirecting all vector (and float point in general) instructions and data to the GPU side automatically (better saying, Kaveri's CPU wont have a "single" (as in none) float point register to start with). That could mean something to PCSX2 already even if the code is untouched. The equivalent VU module would be redirected from the current processing on CPU toward the GPU by the APU, what could translate in gain. But I can't really say this for sure by now.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(05-04-2013, 06:20 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Yeah, and there are the VUs also which is hard to tell if it is extension of EE or GS, both or otherwise Smile

PS2 is a mess of hardware compared to more conventional CPU + GPU approach and even that duo is being integrated in a single APU or whatever is called the integration.

Edit: actually is not easy to call GS same as the GPU, it would if the VUs were integrated in it like in actual GPUs.

PS: Was already announced that Kaveri will make that differentiation CPU GPU harder for redirecting all vector (and float point in general) instructions and data to the GPU side automatically. That could mean something to PCSX2 already even if the code is untouched. The equivalent VU module would be redirected from the current processing on CPU toward the GPU by the APU, what could translate in gain. But I can't really say this for sure by now.

well VU is the co-processor so i kind of didn't mention it Tongue

however yeah that's far too complicated as there is no single Hardware piece that is responsible for a single task !