PAL/NTSC Bios compatibility help
Hi all,

I am brand new to the forum, so apologies if this has been covered before. I have searched the FAQ's and done a quick search of these threads, but I haven't found the answer I need.

I am based in the UK and I have both a UK PAL PS2 (the very early one bought at the UK release date) and I also have a Japan region NTSC Slim Model.

To keep it short my main question is, does PCSX2 run region free regardless of BIOS version used? Or would it run locked to region of the bios version?

If it runs region free, would there be a preferred bios to use? the earlier PAL bios, or the later Japan NTSC bios?

If it would be locked to the region of the BIOS used, can I configure PCSZ2 to run on both or either BIOS? or to run all of my games would I have to Dual boot my system and have a version of PCSX2 on separate boot drives?

Thank you all in advance for any help and/or knowledge on this

Sponsored links

pcsx2 is region free if you use fast boot
some games will require a full boot, and in that case, you'll have to use the appropriate bios, just like you would have used your apprpriate PS2.

Quote:If it would be locked to the region of the BIOS used, can I configure PCSZ2 to run on both or either BIOS? or to run all of my games would I have to Dual boot my system and have a version of PCSX2 on separate boot drives?
Dual boot ?
no need to go this far
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(02-21-2021, 09:34 PM)jesalvein Wrote: pcsx2 is region free if you use fast boot
some games will require a full boot, and in that case, you'll have to use the appropriate bios, just like you would have used your apprpriate PS2.

Dual boot ?
no need to go this far

Thank you for this, I appreciate it. 

So in an instance where my games (Splinter cell and Gran Turismo games) that are Japan region, would require me to use the Japan NTSC Bios, how would I go about this?
Can I use both Bios in one instance of PCSX2, switching between them? Or would this need a reconfigure each time?

Thank you again, I really appreciate the help I'm new to this.
you just reconfigure the bios part in pcsx2.
IIRC GT games don't need full boot anyways
dunno about splinter cell though
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Thumbs Up 
(02-21-2021, 09:42 PM)jesalvein Wrote: you just reconfigure the bios part in pcsx2.
IIRC GT games don't need full boot anyways
dunno about splinter cell though

Brilliant, thank you again. I'll give this a go over the next few days.