PAL or NTSC versions best for PCSX2?
Hello, I've been having some weird issues with my PAL versions of a few games that I was unable to find solutions to.

In Silent Hill 2, sometimes there's a problem when transitioning to FMV cutscenes where the screen will go black and the music will go for one full loop before the video starts. This has nothing to do with the video distortion that can be solved by going into software mode. Only difference there is that in software mode, the blank screen will be white instead of black. 

In Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (Or Lucifer's Call, as it's named over here) there is a transparent gray bar that overlays the HUD elements in the top 1/5 or so of the screen.

I've been experimenting with the emulator settings and googling possible solutions to no avail. So, on a whim I decided to try the NTSC versions of these same games, and none of them have these issues; they both worked perfectly. So - is PCSX2 optimized for the NTSC versions, and PAL underserved?
CPU: i7 4790K  GPU: MSI GTX980
RAM: 16 GB DDR4  OS: Windows 7 64-bit

Sponsored links

No, there is no difference in how PCSX2 handles them.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-23-2015, 09:14 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: No, there is no difference in how PCSX2 handles them.

PCSX2 handles the frequency, width/height dimensions for PAL/NTSC video modes differently and also lots of other status of registers. http://users.neoscientists.org/~blue/ps2videomodes.txt

Quote:I've been experimenting with the emulator settings and googling possible solutions to no avail. So, on a whim I decided to try the NTSC versions of these same games, and none of them have these issues; they both worked perfectly. So - is PCSX2 optimized for the NTSC versions, and PAL underserved?

I'm not really sure about the issue, guess I'll give it a shot on debugging to find differences between the NTSC / PAL versions. why didn't you make a bug report ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Ssakash, I am very new to emulation and collaborative bug fixing Smile I would be happy to file a bug report, just not entirely sure how. I will check the FAQ later today.
could you give any memory card save file near this issue ? and any steps on how to reproduce the issue would be nice. I'll get this game in a short moment and try looking into it. ( I mean the issue for Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call)
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(11-23-2015, 09:41 AM)ssakash Wrote: PCSX2 handles the frequency, width/height dimensions for PAL/NTSC video modes differently and also lots of other status of registers. http://users.neoscientists.org/~blue/ps2videomodes.txt

So does the PS2s though.

Your question is answering much more in depth than OP asked.

PCSX2 is not optimized one way or the other. Sure the games have differences between regions we all know that. But the emulator doesn't go "Oh *****, NTSC, engage optimized code path!" which is effectively what was being asked.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
ssakash - can I just PM you my memcard file?
I am terribly sorry, it is my mistake. The error in Lucifer's Call only happens when you choose the 60 Hz option in the intro to the game. Choosing regular PAL 50 Hz works fine. I could have sworn I had tried them both, but there you go.

Silent Hill 2, OTOH does not have a 60 Hz option in-game, so I have yet to solve that error.

Blyss Sarania, that was not effectively what was being asked. I thought there might be timing issues related to screen refresh rate, and that those had been more thoroughly tested with the NTSC 60 Hz versions of the games.
(11-23-2015, 11:58 AM)joques Wrote: ssakash - can I just PM you my memcard file?

Fine Smile

Quote:I am terribly sorry, it is my mistake. The error in Lucifer's Call only happens when you choose the 60 Hz option in the intro to the game. Choosing regular PAL 50 Hz works fine.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering why the hell the bug didn't show up Tongue2  [ I'll check on 60HZ mode ]
- Refraction
Dropbox link with memcard files sent. I didn't know which one is the primary, so I included both.