PC Build Help
Question 
Hello, I am currently looking into buying pc components for my own setup so that I can run Shadow of the Colossus at 60 FPS or higher without speedhacks. I'm looking for a fast processor and a high to mid graphics card. 

I've picked out an AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor and an MSI - GeForce GT 1030 2GB AERO ITX OC Video Card. 

Another important feature I want is to be able to overclock the processor and the graphics card, because my current chosen motherboard is overclockable. The motherboard can take 64 GB total ram but DDR4 16 GB should be enough. Another thing I'd like to point out is that the processor comes with a CPU cooler, so if you choose one without this I'd like a link/name to a good CPU cooler.

That's all thanks [Image: happy.gif] .

Sponsored links

That 1300x won't do soc at 60 for. My 1950x is a lil heavier hitting on single thread performance.. and it's still lagging behind my 3770, which fails to keep it above 50 fps some times. That's with an all core 4.1 ghz
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(08-02-2018, 09:21 AM)scythefwd Wrote: That 1300x won't do soc at 60 for.  My 1950x is a lil heavier hitting on single thread performance.. and it's still lagging behind my 3770, which fails to keep it above 50 fps some times.  That's with an all core 4.1 ghz
Thanks for the reply, do you know any processors that can stay at 60 FPS?. 1950x's are better but I chose the 1300x because of a recommended build on another thread. I'm open to any recommended CPUs and GPUs Biggrin.
Honestly, you're not likely to do it without speed hacks using an and processor. A 6th gen or later top end i5 will be where you're looking for performance. Say a i5 6700k or i5 6700. As for video, look to a1050 ti...

The 1950x has a stp of roughly 2050 ish at stock speeds (3.9 turbo). That's lagging behind even a 3rd gen i7
nzxt 340 case
(08-02-2018, 09:54 AM)scythefwd Wrote: Honestly, you're not likely to do it without speed hacks using an and processor.  A 6th gen or later top end i5 will be where you're looking for performance.  Say a i5 6700k or i5 6700.  As for video, look to a1050 ti...

The 1950x has a stp of roughly 2050 ish at stock speeds (3.9 turbo).  That's lagging behind even a 3rd gen i7
Cool, I can afford an i7 6700K which can be overclocked. Yeah I thought the GT 1030 wouldn't be enough but I wasn't sure. So the i7 6700K and the GTX 1050 Ti should be enough for 60 FPS right?  Smile .
The GPU is going to come more in to play if you also want to increase the internal resolution or do other visual enhancements. At native resolution the 1030 should be generally fine (and honestly at 2-4x depending on the game). If you are also wanting to run PC games then the 1050ti is a wonderful upgrade and will allow for greatly enhanced performance over a 1030 in more modern\heavy titles.

If you want to save some money the i5 6600k will not really perform worse (epspecially if overclocked to the same speed) in emulation, but in multithreaded tasks there will be an appreciable difference . The 7600k/7700k and 8600k/8700k will each see slight performance improvements over the older CPUs if pure raw performance is more important then anything.

Anything over 16GB of RAM is only a good idea if you have a specific purpose in getting it. Though when RAM was cheep and plentiful you could do it just because. For emulation amount of RAM is generally unimportant since so very little is needed\used.
(08-02-2018, 03:55 PM)TkSilver Wrote: The GPU is going to come more in to play if you also want to increase the internal resolution or do other visual enhancements.  At native resolution the 1030 should be generally fine (and honestly at 2-4x depending on the game).  If you are also wanting to run PC games then the 1050ti is a wonderful upgrade and will allow for greatly enhanced performance over a 1030 in more modern\heavy titles.

If you want to save some money the i5 6600k will not really perform worse (epspecially if overclocked to the same speed) in emulation, but in multithreaded tasks there will be an appreciable difference .  The 7600k/7700k and 8600k/8700k will each see slight performance improvements over the older CPUs if pure raw performance is more important then anything.

Anything over 16GB of RAM is only a good idea if you have a specific purpose in getting it.  Though when RAM was cheep and plentiful you could do it just because.  For emulation amount of RAM is generally unimportant since so very little is needed\used.
Yeah the GPU might seem like overkill but some games can definitely benefit from the increased performance. I've done some research on the processor and it seems to be mainly positive. I was thinking of getting a good setup that can also run brand new AAA titles with ease so it's good to hear that it can. I definitely agree with your stance on RAM, 16GB is fine for emulation and even brand new AAA titles. Thanks so much for your help  Biggrin .
Yes, if you are also planning on doing some AAA PC gaming then a GPU is the most important thing in your system and a lot of CPUs will work (unless you are going to high refresh rate gaming... then you need a better CPU), though there are a few titles that require a decent CPU.

For emulation it is mainly flipped. A very good CPU will be the usual limiting factor in performance and therefore the most important part (unless you are going for higher internal resolution or post processing effects), though there are a few titles that will require a decent GPU even on native.

Systems built for both need to be balanced, since you can not get enough CPU or GPU power you need to carefully get the most out of your budget in both.

Overall though you might want to wait for Gamescom to be over since Nvida looks like they are announcing their new line and if you can wait until the new line comes out you can get some nice discounts on the current line (or even a slightly used part from those ppl who upgrade every generation).
I ran SOC at nearly 60 fps on my old 3770 build.. It used a gtx 750 ti oc at 3x native.. It was my Proccessor that was dragging me down. TK's suggestion of the 6600k isnt a bad one to save a few dollars.

The 1050ti should handle most anything pcsx2 can throw at it at 4x.. and in many cases possibly higher.
nzxt 340 case
(08-02-2018, 07:04 PM)TkSilver Wrote: Yes, if you are also planning on doing some AAA PC gaming then a GPU is the most important thing in your system and a lot of CPUs will work (unless you are going to high refresh rate gaming... then you need a better CPU), though there are a few titles that require a decent CPU.

For emulation it is mainly flipped.  A very good CPU will be the usual limiting factor in performance and therefore the most important part (unless you are going for higher internal resolution or post processing effects), though there are a few titles that will require a decent GPU even on native.

Systems built for both need to be balanced, since you can not get enough CPU or GPU power you need to carefully get the most out of your budget in both.

Overall though you might want to wait for Gamescom to be over since Nvida looks like they are announcing their new line and if you can wait until the new line comes out you can get some nice discounts on the current line (or even a slightly used part from those ppl who upgrade every generation).
Yeah I can wait for it. Slightly used parts are pretty cheap when new lines come out, and the performance increase is unreal. I've noticed that people who upgrade every generation sell their parts at such a good price just to get rid of it Happy .