PC not recognizing speakers after closing PCSX2
Posted about this on the subreddit a while back with no solution. Tried searching here before making an account to post this and no luck, either.

My issue here is that I use a headset and a 360 controller while playing, so I can stream the game to my friend over discord as we talk. I only have two front USB ports on my tower, so when he goes offline I have to unplug the mic and plug in my regular speakers. When I do this I make sure I save my game and close PCSX2 to avoid any kind of issues with the in-game sound breaking. USUALLY, when I then reopen PCSX2, my sound works perfectly fine from my speakers. However, a small portion of the time, PCSX2 somehow causes my pc to completely fail to recognize my speakers. When plugged in, the little volume icon in the bottom right shows a red X icon and no devices are listed to switch to. I've had this pc for over 2 years now, and this has never once been an issue over dozens and dozens of different games and programs. 

If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. I considered posting this in the bug report forum but I think it's probably an issue with windows moreso so I went here, if this is the wrong subforum I do apologize. Smile

Running Windows 10 home 64 bit, PCSX2 1.6.0, MSI B450M PRO-M2 V2 mobo, XFX 570 RS 8gb gpu, Ryzen 5 2600 cpu, 16gb ram.

Sponsored links

So when the issue happens.... How do you fix it?

Super honest opinion... Get a decent usb hub and plug everything in and then set it up like you want it. Smile Or get some wireless headset/controller to use with discord independently from your front ports.

Disclaimer that I'm not an expert at all at what PCSX2 does with sound... but if your speakers are USB powered or depend on USB to actually function... There's a small chance that pcsx2 locks directx (or whatever it does) sound - to - usb subsystem somehow into trying to reach the headset. There's also a probability that discord does NOT play nice with exclusive controls of speaker/microphone. Unfortunately it's unlikely that this is easily replicable to get any priority as your specific use case is such a specific setup; and it's also most likely a windows API quirk rather than app issue.