PCSX2 Build r5347 review
turion is a very old Architecture ( maybe older than Athlon 64 ) you can't just compare it to Phonem II and say "wow the difference is fascinating " ofcourse it will Smile

and i think this multi core benchmark ( all cores have been used )

if you're tight on budget to buy an Intel option go for it ...

Sponsored links

(08-01-2012, 06:05 PM)abdo123 Wrote: turion is a very old Architecture ( maybe older than Athlon 64 ) you can't just compare it to Phonem II and say "wow the difference is fascinating " ofcourse it will Smile

and i think this multi core benchmark ( all cores have been used )

if you're tight on budget to buy an Intel option go for it ...

Thank you for your interest, I've learned alot about AMD processors so for and your comments about the turion architecture and the difference between the two processors. I recently asked more people in my town who are also computer skilled and they all said yes there is a performance increase even if the quad is clocked slower. 4 cores split the work up and offer better speed even, because of newer technology. Only one person told me that a solid state hard drive was more important and I should spend money on that instead. They said the performance of regular vs ssd is night and day. How does other people feel on that note ?
Quote: they all said yes there is a performance increase even if the quad is clocked slower

That is VERY relevant, depends on how much slower the quad is clocked, how many threads the application you are talking about uses, how much it uses those threads etc etc.

Quote:Only one person told me that a solid state hard drive was more important and I should spend money on that instead.

SSDs improve read and write times extremely, compared to old HDDs. That's about it, meaning faster loading times for windows, games, faster installations etc. Nothing related to FPS and whatnot.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Thanks for the input, I'll probably get an ssd sometime. The dual-core I have now is 2.5ghz turion 2 the quad core is phenom 2 at 1.8ghz. Its within the 1 ghz range so I'm assuming from what other people have told me it will be quite an improvement with Pcsx2.
Yes and no.
You will get benefits from the mtvu hack since tou'll be able to use a 3rd core, but since it's only a 1.8 ghz clockrate, many games will make your cpu struggle.
Especially the ones that basically dont get benefits from the mtvu hack
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-02-2012, 01:28 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Yes and no.
You will get benefits from the mtvu hack since tou'll be able to use a 3rd core, but since it's only a 1.8 ghz clockrate, many games will make your cpu struggle.
Especially the ones that basically dont get benefits from the mtvu hack

Good to know, worth rethinking the purchase now. Either way I think from what others have said, Turion is old architecture and Phenom is newer. So going with a Phenom Dual-core 3ghz processor seems like a good choice from you said. Tri-cores available to me only go up to 2.2 ghz, so I'm faced yet again with a choice of Dual-core 3ghz or tri-core 2.2ghz. What do you think because from how you put it Pcsx2 only supports 3 cores at the moment. Someone also said 1.8ghz x 4 equals 7.2ghz which in my opinion doesn't work that way. It only splits the work of the supporting program into 4 cores which lightens the load. I need to know plain truth behind all of this so if anyone here knows and has hard knowledge about these questions please speak up, I need to know the truth.
(07-31-2012, 06:06 AM)jesalvein Wrote: AMD released a tri-core quite long ago...
Even more reason not to like them now they made a liar out of me Tongue
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
(08-02-2012, 04:39 AM)shaneblack88 Wrote: Good to know, worth rethinking the purchase now. Either way I think from what others have said, Turion is old architecture and Phenom is newer. So going with a Phenom Dual-core 3ghz processor seems like a good choice from you said. Tri-cores available to me only go up to 2.2 ghz, so I'm faced yet again with a choice of Dual-core 3ghz or tri-core 2.2ghz.
If you intend to pay pcsx2 ONLY, i'd take the dual core @3Ghz.
If you intend to play PC games too, I'd take a tri/quad core, since more and more a games get optimized to use more than 2 cores.

Quote:What do you think because from how you put it Pcsx2 only supports 3 cores at the moment. Someone also said 1.8ghz x 4 equals 7.2ghz which in my opinion doesn't work that way. It only splits the work of the supporting program into 4 cores which lightens the load.
Tell your friend to stop giving advices in terms of computing.
you're right, and he's wrong.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-02-2012, 06:08 AM)jesalvein Wrote: If you intend to pay pcsx2 ONLY, i'd take the dual core @3Ghz.
If you intend to play PC games too, I'd take a tri/quad core, since more and more a games get optimized to use more than 2 cores.

Tell your friend to stop giving advices in terms of computing.
you're right, and he's wrong.

Thanks for the input, and yes most my games I play range from the 90's to around 2007. So in that case most games back then would only benefit from Dual-core. The price on the Amd Phenom 2 dual-core N660 is double the price of a phenom quad core at 1.8 - 2.2 ghz. Performance benchmarks indicate an increase from turion 2 p560 2.5ghz score of 1,551 to 1,858 or so with the dual-core phenom n660 3ghz. And quad core 1.8ghz was 2,000 something, but the benchmark on that was probably done with a 4 core program. In the end its all about the best advice, I think you've made a good point and maybe this will benefit me more then lower clocked quad core. Thanks I'll see what happens when I get it. Most people said just upgrading from Turion to Phenom is a huge performance increase.

P.S I don't know why Idiots work in PC shops and give misguided advice. I don't know how many times I try and get advice but they tell me something completely different and far from the truth, Most of my knowledge is from learning myself so I know when someone is just believing what they want to and actually not the truth. I run my own Computer shop because I know alot about them. But people who don't really know should not be working in a PC place and telling people false information. It is very fustrating.
(08-02-2012, 06:32 AM)shaneblack88 Wrote: P.S I don't know why Idiots work in PC shops and give misguided advice. I don't know how many times I try and get advice but they tell me something completely different and far from the truth, Most of my knowledge is from learning myself so I know when someone is just believing what they want to and actually not the truth. I run my own Computer shop because I know alot about them. But people who don't really know should not be working in a PC place and telling people false information. It is very fustrating.

1. Because they think you're not computer expert...

2. Marketing strategy to fool noobs...

3. They just don't want to admit their lack of knowledge...