PCSX2-CE for Mac (Wineskin) Oct 2015 Guide
(01-19-2018, 09:21 PM)K-G Wrote: Wine 3.0 has been released today.
Is there a way to configure everything with Wine 3.0 instead with Wineskin (which uses an older version of Wine)?
DX10/11 compatibility has been added — maybe there's the possibility to use a newer GSDX plugin?

There should be a new engine released that contains Wine 3.0 later

Also, DX10/11 doesn't work on macOS because the OpenGL graphics drivers on macOS are garbage

DX9 on the latest GSdx works just fine. d3dcompiler dlls are needed in the same directory as PCSX2 since I said, OpenGL graphics drivers on macOS are garbage

Sponsored links

I am unable to get the pre-made PCSX2 wrapper to open, I just get a dialog box that says Wineskin is currently busy...Please Wait. Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: Finally was able to get the Wineskin Wrapper Settings Box to load after reading a suggestion from someone in this thread, but now it won't let me install any wine tricks, it keeps crashing when I select the Wine Tricks box.
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 @ 3.3 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
(10-18-2015, 07:28 AM)MacUser Wrote: **Updated 14th October 2017**

***macOS High Sierra has been released, and of course this introduced an issue with Wineskin. Luckily, there is an easy fix. In the Set Screen Options section of Wineskin, in addition to selecting Use Mac Driver, you should also de-select Auto-Detect GPU. PCSX2 will now open and run correctly*** 

****Notice - The DirectX9 renderer for GSDX has ceased development and been removed from future developer builds. As the DX10, DX11 and OGL renderers do not yet work in Wine, the last build that will work is 1.5.0 v.512.*****  

****Notice - The last Wineskin engine to work is WS9Wine 1.9.11*****  

There has been a lot of developments and improvements since ConsoleEmu's first post. The guide in his thread is outdated and just causes confusion for people wanting to get PCSX2 up and running on OS X. 

The purpose of this post is firstly to help get new users started, and then to show how to keep the app updated. PCSX2-CE uses a Wineskin wrapper around the PC version of PCSX2, and both need to be kept updated.  

You will need to download the following:

Wineskin Winery: used to keep the Wineskin wrapper updated. Get it here.

PCSX2: The last build of PCSX2 that works with vcrun2017 is 1.5.0 v512. The last build to work without vcrun2017 is 1.3.1 v1415. If you have issues installing vcrun2015/2017 then try this version.

PCSX2-CE: The wrapper first made by ConsoleEmu. Get v 1.2.1 from his site here.

Wineskin Winery: 

This is the app where you download updates to the wrapper and the engine for Wineskin. Open it up and check for updates. Update to the latest wrapper, and download the WS9Wine 1.9.11 engine. (Newer builds don't work as of this post).

PCSX2: 

Download and decompress. (The folder will have the build number, it's best to keep this as it is for future reference). 

1: Install your BIOS: create a folder inside called "bios" and copy your PS2 BIOS into it. If you don't have your BIOS handy, search this forum or Google it. (Please do not post questions about BIOS here, it's off-topic and answered better elsewhere)

PCSX2-CE:

Download and decompress. You will get a folder containing the app, a winetricks command, and the licensing docs (also a readme, but this post is more relevant). There is also a bios folder that is an alias to the one contained in the wrapper. Ignore this alias, since we are going to delete the folder it points to.

1: Copy the new PCSX2 build to the wrapper: 

Step A: Right-click on the PCSX2-CE app and select "Show Package Contents". Go to drive_c and Program files to see the old PCSX2 folder. 

Step B: Copy the new PCSX2 folder into Program Files (delete the old one while you are at it) 

2: Update the wrapper and engine: 

Step A: Open up the Wineskin app contained in the package (you should have seen it earlier when you did 1 above)

Step B: Select Advanced, then Tools. 

Step C: Select Update Wrapper (it will probably quit when it's finished, open again for the next step). 

Step D: Select Change Engine Used, choose WS9Wine1.9.11 and wait for it to finish.

3: Redirect the wrapper to run the new version of PCSX2:

Under the Configuration tab, reassign which .exe file is run by clicking the Browse button at the top. Choose the new PCSX2.exe

4: Install d3dx9_36 and vcrun2017: 

Again open the wineskin app, select Advanced and Tools, then Winetricks. On the bottom left click Update Winetricks. 

Step A: Expand the dlls list and scroll down to d3dx9_36. Select and click Run. Allow the script to compete. (This will take a long time. Wait for it to say it's finished).

Step B: Do the same for msxml3. (This is required before you can install vcrun2017). 

Step C: Do the same for vcrun2017. 

*Note: In order to see what has been successfully installed in the package, click the gear/option button and select "show installed" column.

5: Ensure Mac Driver is selected: 

Again in the Wineskin App, select Set Screen Options. Ensure that Use Mac Driver Instead of X11 is selected. Also ensure that Auto-detect GPU Info is De-selected. 

You are now ready to run the PCSX2-CE app. 

First time run:

When you run it for the first time, a setup wizard will run. You need to choose your language, bios, and plugin settings. 

- Configure the SPU2-X plugin. You need to change XAudio2 to Portaudio. (Wine will support XAudio in the future, but as of posting Portaudio is still required).  

- Configure the CDVD, USB, FW and Dev9 plugins all as Null.

Note for updating: 

- When you download a new build of PCSX2, don't forget to copy over the bios, inis and memcard folders. (Always press the alt key, since OS X tends to just copy over an alias otherwise).

You should have PCSX2 up and running at this stage. If you have any problems or issues with the above steps, please post here. Also, if it works for you let us know too.

I hope this post helps new users get started, and also how to keep themselves updated.
Does this guide work in the newly released MacOS Mojave?
(09-26-2018, 03:18 AM)R.Doal Wrote: Does this guide work in the newly released MacOS Mojave?

Try it out and see if it works.
On Step 4 where you need to update wine tricks, I get this error from Wineskin:

(Too big to paste on the forums). https://pastebin.com/76RGH165

I need help, like bad.
Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I should have a new thread but I want to know if anyone plays this waywith higher hardware.

I am using R9 270X now and TBH the performance is really low. So I want to upgrade my VGA card to a better one like 1070 or vega series.

Can you share you hardware with OS version for stable 60 fps in PCSX2-CE?

Thanks.
(11-04-2018, 03:23 PM)emulator Wrote: Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I should have a new thread but I want to know if anyone plays this waywith higher hardware.

I am using R9 270X now and TBH the performance is really low. So I want to upgrade my VGA card to a better one like 1070 or vega series.

Can you share you hardware with OS version for stable 60 fps in PCSX2-CE?

Thanks.

Hi all,

In short I upgrade my graphic card to 1070 Ti and use L5639 OC in 10.12.6. The performance get a little bit better but still under 30fps when playing Dragon Quest III. 

I think the problem was due to the bad performance on OpenGL and wish that someday we can have Vulkan support for better fps in the feature.

I did try 10.13.6 but seems that there are something must be configure for loading PCSX2 program and I had a similar issue on Dolphin so I didn't too much time on 10.13.6 and switch back to Sierra.

Regards.
(12-01-2018, 10:00 AM)emulator Wrote: I think the problem was due to the bad performance on OpenGL and wish that someday we can have Vulkan support for better fps in the feature.
can you explain how vulkan would bring better performance ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-01-2018, 10:12 AM)jesalvein Wrote: can you explain how vulkan would bring better performance ?

TBH I am not good at this. I know Vulkan is also a layer that can be translated to metal as OpenGL was deprecated in 10.14. But it should still be better than we use a common emulator to translate everything.

The reason I said it might be OpenGL was, as you can find on those benchmark results for nVidia 10 series and AMD VEGA series in a real Macbook or Hackintosh, they don't have a good scores. So I tried to benchmark OpenGL on Windows and I got similar symptom, lower scores and the minimum fps is pretty low. That might figure out the performance and the support of OpenGL is not that good on both platform(Windows is still better though).

So I will hope that metal can really improve something on this and then we can have a "almost" native support by Vulkan.

Regards.
Question 
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

When I get to the PCSX2-CE Step 2A instruction (clicking on the wineskin app in the PCSX2-CE package contents folder), wineskin shows a 'Busy...' dialog box that says 'WineSkin is currently busy, Please Wait...'.

I would appreciate guidance on this. I really just wanna play Dark Cloud on my mac.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)