PCSX2 Crashes under Ubuntu 8.10
RELEASE VERSION: 1.0.0395 (ran from premade binaries)
Ubuntu 8.10 32bit OS.

After the first-run option of configuring it, it crashes with a segfault.

Sponsored links

Does it populate the Bios pulldown in the configuration dialog?
I haven't tested, due to not having yet transfered over my BIOS into the Virtual Machine. (I'm running in XP, but am going to transfer back over to Ubuntu once KDE 4.2 gets released.)

I'll do that now and get back to you.
All right.

One thing to keep in mind is that, while I'm working on improving it, the Linux code is not as stable as the Windows code[1]. And, of course, when I'm testing pcsx2, I'm usually testing with my bios files already in the folder.

And I just verified that it segfaults if you hit ok without a bios selected. I'll have to put a check in there...

Edit: I'm not sure I'd try using pcsx2 in a virtual machine, anyways. They usually don't emulate a graphics card well enough to work with anything graphics intensive or 3d. I know for a fact that pcsx2 didn't used to work on either VirtualBox or VMWare with XP as the guest os...

[1] The Linux Gui code is in need of a rewrite, actually. It's on my to-do list; it's just a long range goal...
(12-13-2008, 09:06 AM)arcum42 Wrote: All right.

One thing to keep in mind is that, while I'm working on improving it, the Linux code is not as stable as the Windows code[1]. And, of course, when I'm testing pcsx2, I'm usually testing with my bios files already in the folder.

And I just verified that it segfaults if you hit ok without a bios selected. I'll have to put a check in there...

[1] The Linux Gui code is in need of a rewrite, actually. It's on my to-do list; it's just a long range goal...
Even if I select my BIOS, it still segfaults.
There is no Video plugin available.

Here is the console output:
Code:
chris@chris-desktop:~/Desktop/pcsx2_pg$ ./pcsx2

libGLEW.so.1.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libGLEW.so.1.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do you know where I can find a copy of libGLEW?
I'd run:
sudo apt-get install libglew1.5-dev. The name may have changed from Hardy to Jaunty.
In fact, all the requirements would be:
sudo apt-get install subversion libsdl1.2-dev libjpeg62-dev build-essential \
libgtk2.0-dev libxxf86vm-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev automake1.9 \
libbz2-dev libasound-dev nvidia-cg-toolkit libglu1-mesa-dev libglew1.5-dev;
(12-13-2008, 09:23 AM)arcum42 Wrote: I'd run:
sudo apt-get install libglew1.5-dev. The name may have changed from Hardy to Jaunty.
In fact, all the requirements would be:
sudo apt-get install subversion libsdl1.2-dev libjpeg62-dev build-essential \
libgtk2.0-dev libxxf86vm-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev automake1.9 \
libbz2-dev libasound-dev nvidia-cg-toolkit libglu1-mesa-dev libglew1.5-dev;

Even after successfully installing all that, the video plugin still won't appear, and it still segfaults.
Are you sure you packaged it in?
The segfaults separate; I looked into it, and when the code grabs the names of the currently selected plugins (& bios), it assumes there is an item to read. I'll be fixing that in svn in the next few days.

And if you look in plugins, you should see libZeroGSoglr.so.96.2 there. That is the plugin. Not to mention that ZeroGS is the only part of pcsx2 that would be looking for Glew. Is it still looking for libGLEW.so.1.4?

If so, try doing a search on your system for libGLEW, and let me know what files come up, and their location...
I'm having the same problems. I have all the libs and I see the plugins there...
I figured out a solution though. Maybe not very elegant...but...

I cut the libZeroGSoglr.so.96.2 out of the plugins dir and copied the same lib from a different install I did (I think it came from the regular linux source from pcsx2). Ran the pcsx2 playground preroll (32bit) and it worked like a charm.

Hope that helps you figure out what is going on, thanks SO much for making a compiled version. Sometimes I can figure out how to compile things and sometimes I can't, so that was a big help!
Well, when I said "worked like a charm" I meant that the plugin came up in the GUI, visible, and pcsx2_pg started.
What doesn't work is anything else. Anything I try to load crashes in about 3 seconds, before the opening little swirly box clip even starts.
The ISOs work in my other installs, so it isn't that.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

EDIT: Oops, I was just using "execute" rather than "file: Run CD"....execute crashes...the other way works. =)