PCSX2 Frequently hangs on Laptop (altough at 60fps)
Wonder if laptop's HDD are just that much slower to acess data in general not sure.
Someone else had same issue as me:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-fre...g-mid-game

Super robot wars Alpha 3 for example sometimes when trying to load voice it will hang for 1 or 2 secs
and same happens frequently when loading another voice.

My Laptop HDD specs:
Manufacturer Western Digital
Form Factor GB/2.5-inch
Heads 16
Cylinders 16383
SATA type SATA-II 3.0Gb/s
Device type Fixed
ATA Standard ATA8-ACS
LBA Size 48-bit LBA
Speed, Expressed in Revolutions Per Minute (rpm) 5400
Features S.M.A.R.T., APM, NCQ
Transfer Mode SATA II
Interface SATA
Capacity 466GB
RAID Type None

(CPU: Intel core i5-2430M 2.4Ghz/ Turbo Boost 3.0Ghz)
(GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6650M, 2Gb Vram)
(OS: Windows 7 64 Bit/ Ram: 8Gb DD3)

Sponsored links

Laptop harddrives are often slower, but this isn't the issue. It's still likely 10x faster than what the PS2 could pull off both in seek time and transfer rate.

This is, assuming of course, you are playing the game from your laptop harddrive and not your laptop's DVD drive which would be another issue altogether. Generally such issues with laptops are more of an issue with heat management or power saving mode kicking in and out.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(08-08-2013, 09:05 PM)Koji Wrote: Laptop harddrives are often slower, but this isn't the issue. It's still likely 10x faster than what the PS2 could pull off both in seek time and transfer rate.

This is, assuming of course, you are playing the game from your laptop harddrive and not your laptop's DVD drive which would be another issue altogether. Generally such issues with laptops are more of an issue with heat management or power saving mode kicking in and out.

Maybe Intel® Rapid Storage Technology could be another useless drivers on the laptop that only causes more issues?
or maybe im wrong and there isnt much solution when it comes to laptop's.
(08-08-2013, 10:46 PM)Otase Wrote: Maybe Intel® Rapid Storage Technology could be another useless drivers on the laptop that only causes more issues?

Again, it's almost certainly NOT a hard drive issue. As long as you are actually loading the ISO off of the HDD and not playing from a real disc you won't have any problems with loading. That is unless you're having hard drive issues in general on your PC or maybe in rare cases if you are playing games that are NTFS compressed as that can add slightly to the access times.
[Image: 2748844.png]
This sounds quite similar to the problem i've been having.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Random-freezing-problem

What are the meters in the title bar doing when it hangs? Keep an eye on the GS: percentage in particular.
(08-08-2013, 10:46 PM)Otase Wrote: Maybe Intel® Rapid Storage Technology could be another useless drivers on the laptop that only causes more issues?

well it's definately it's Intel RST i haved this too and causing that briefing freeze after the boot.
even my haswell desktop does hang 1~4 secs when opening a program after the fresh boot. but "NOT all" problems effect this hang,
my pcsx2 in my haswell PC w/ Intel RST doesn't effect me except when i open IE,Chrome and open the log-in screen of facebook after the fresh PC boot it delays 1~5 secs.
"therefore" it's not pcsx2's fault is causing the hang.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(08-14-2013, 01:20 PM)smartstrike Wrote: well it's definately it's Intel RST i haved this too and causing that briefing freeze after the boot.
even my haswell desktop does hang 1~4 secs when opening a program after the fresh boot. but "NOT all" problems effect this hang,
my pcsx2 in my haswell PC w/ Intel RST doesn't effect me except when i open IE,Chrome and open the log-in screen of facebook after the fresh PC boot it delays 1~5 secs.
"therefore" it's not pcsx2's fault is causing the hang.
No longer sure to tell you the truth, could be some related intel flaw to their recent technology and power mangement of laptops (as for technical details dont even ask me lol)
for now only have the RST driver installed and not their software crap which is useless.

(08-08-2013, 11:04 PM)Koji Wrote: Again, it's almost certainly NOT a hard drive issue. As long as you are actually loading the ISO off of the HDD and not playing from a real disc you won't have any problems with loading. That is unless you're having hard drive issues in general on your PC or maybe in rare cases if you are playing games that are NTFS compressed as that can add slightly to the access times.
This game i mention is in .mdf, could that be making things worse?
Edit: same happens with a clean ISO lol well could be worse, cant expect same performance on laptop compared to desktop,s
when it comes to these emulators, altough some games can rarely hang compared to this one.
If you have a big enough USB 3.0 flash drive, you can throw the ISO on there and try it.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Do you have this issue with any other apps/games? Some laptop HDDs have a "feature" called advanced power management that kicks in to pause the drive every few minutes in order to save power and prevent possible damage from collisions. If you get pausing in Windows and other applications then something is definitely pausing the HDD intentionally.

On any kind of stable desk use it's totally useless, I use a program called hdparm to turn it off when I'm gaming and I never have pauses after that.

More info on it can be found from here:
http://disablehddapm.blogspot.fi/

And a link to DL it for Windows -->
https://sites.google.com/site/disablehddapm/

To use it just run the .bat file, then in the command prompt type "hdparm -B 254 hda" (without quotes, or if you have a secondary HDD you can type "hdb" and so on) and press Enter, and see if you get pauses anymore. You'll have to rerun the program again on startup, but I think there's a way to run it as a service too, and some other programs that basically do the same thing but run constantly.