PCSX2 GSDX out of memory, crash to desktop.
When I've been playing ZOE:2 the game plays at full speed and despite certain cut scenes not being displayed there are no noticeable problems playing the game, expect for the fact that at random intervals the console will output "gsdx out of memory, temporarily disabling texturing", save states cannot be made and the game soon crashes to the desktop.

I am using pcsx2-r5179 on windows 7 professional playing with maximum speed hacks and rendering in software mode (plays faster and avoids graphical artifacts).

My pc:

Intel 3570k @ 4.5GHz
ATI Radeon 6950 2GB
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Sponsored links

this game hits the 2GB virtual address barrier quite easily and pcsx2 is not compiled to support large addressing by default so you will need one of the available tools to patch it
Thank you, which tool in particular is best for patching the emulator?
http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Well it's the only game I've encountered this problem. Solution for me was makeing savestates often and when you get the out of memory message save ingame before it crashes and restart PCSX2, it's not quite a problem I had to do this 3 or 4 times in whole game, there are certain levels that require such large memory.
Would it be good for me to use this patch as well, just because my system has overkill in memory? (seriously, I don't think I've ever even used half of my memory at one time before).

Will PCSX2 ever have an x64 version btw? Not really sure how that works out.
the patch tool enables the use of more Virtual Memory.
Virtual allocations can often be far more than the application is actually using. (Often this is because Video resources are also assigned virtual memory)

Skyrim was a reproducible case for Large addressing, the game could chew 1GB of video memory and then generally once it started using 700+MB of system memory, a crash to desktop was almost always close to follow.
Never did understand virtual memory. "So it's imaginary memory??" or something is what I always imagined.

Point is, can I benefit from it?
Unlike the days of dos where apps used memory directly, all memory allocations on windows via non kernel software are done via the virtual memory system.
I'm going to assume that it'd be good for me to get the latest SVN and use the 4GB patch on it.