PCSX2 'Patch Finder' - Removed completely or just hidden ?
When you are browsing to older revs you have to look for "legacy_gui" in the beginning of the description
The last one is 2186....r1913 is the new gui.
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/br...legacy_gui

Sponsored links

(09-20-2012, 03:39 PM)vsub Wrote: When you are browsing to older revs you have to look for "legacy_gui" in the beginning of the description
The last one is 2186....r1913 is the new gui.
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/br...legacy_gui
Thanks for the info and the link, but as yet I can't make much use of it as I still have no working dev setup for PCSX2, and this legacy version is apparently only available as source code, not as a binary package.

Still, I do have r1888 which has much of the same functionality, though it probably lacks some improvements. But I wouldn't use either of these versions for real gameplay at this time anyway, but merely to find/check some patch addresses.

Best regards: dlanor
Here's a fresh build of the latest legacy_gui branch.

I recommend you get a full Visual Studio version, either by trial or by beta access.
(MS often have some kind of program running to get coders working for Windows.)
If it has to be an Express Edition, I think you need to do a few additional steps as outlined in the compile guide.
Those are all not needed with a regular 2008 or 2010 edition.

Attached Files
.zip   pcsx2-dev.zip (Size: 909,07 KB / Downloads: 176)
(09-20-2012, 05:22 PM)rama Wrote: Here's a fresh build of the latest legacy_gui branch.
Thanks, I've saved that now, and noted that it works fine when placed in the same folder where I unpacked r1888 (similar DLL dependencies), but gave numerous missing file complaints when placed in the folder of a modern release (as expected).

I'll of course have to download the sources both of this branch and of the current non-legacy version, if I am to produce a new version of the patch finder routines that can be merged into a future proper release.

I assume that the normal method for developers to use is to download the sources by SVN (?). If so, I'd appreciate recommendations for a good SVN client to be used with Win7proSP1_x64. It's a brand new computer which still lacks many standard tools, and since it's my first Win7 system as well as my first x64 system, I'm not at all sure which tools are best. (Fortunately the Win7 backwards compatibility is quite good.)

Quote:I recommend you get a full Visual Studio version, either by trial or by beta access.
I've downloaded one such ISO from Microsoft, but its legal use is time-limited. So I've also downloaded another ISO from them, containing the Express Editions, as well as a third ISO with SP1 for all the VS2010 versions (including both pro and express). So I think I have all that's needed, but setting it all up correctly for the PCSX2 project is still a bit vague for me.

Quote:(MS often have some kind of program running to get coders working for Windows.)
True, and I gather that the VS2010 version recommended in the thread I mentioned earlier was one such. But that download no longer exists. Microsoft normally destroys such downloads once they have served their purpose, and the ones available for evaluation now are most likely not at all compatible with PCSX2 sources (as that would be betas of whatever version comes after VS2012).

Only the 'Express' versions remain free both for download and long-term use, without paying over a bucketful of money... Sad

Microsoft refused to show any prices at all for the older versions, but for VS2012 they want appx 1200 £/€, and I'm NOT paying such an amount for the privilege of playing with PCSX2 builds.

Quote:If it has to be an Express Edition,
Since continued long-term use of a trial pro version is illegal, it does have to be the Express Edition, in the long term.

Quote:I think you need to do a few additional steps as outlined in the compile guide.
I've read about some of those, and I think I can handle that.

But I really think it would be much better to redesign those parts of the project that have such dependencies. I mean, if only the GSDX plugin has some of those dependencies, while all the rest of the project works fine without those class definitions, then surely GSDX can also be adjusted to use custom class definitions instead, with the same overall effect. (I know there is some other stuff too, but that was the most prominent example in the thread I mentioned (and which I've now read in full)).

Quote:Those are all not needed with a regular 2008 or 2010 edition.
No. But for long-term legal use of those, an outlay of a large sum of money is required, which few would be willing to pay up. And we need to keep the project legal, of course.

Unless you somehow can remove the 64-bit coded files, and still make it work,
Express Editions of VS won't do; they don't support 64-bit code.
If the prices are too high, consider Linux (or a bankrobbery).
CompilationGuideForWindows etc:
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/w/list
VS2010 Express Editions do support 64bit, you just have to enable Tools > Settings > Expert Settings.
@Scarlet.Crush:
That was news to me; thanks for the info.

@dlanor:
Here is some info I extracted from various sites (if your up for it).

Install the Platform SDK and switch the solution's SDK to Windows71 (instead of v100) to get x64 compilation working for free.
The command-line compiler is only in the SDK.

Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...px?id=3138

Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 (ISO)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...px?id=8442

On the Tools menu, select Settings and then Expert Settings.
On the Tools menu, select Options.
Enable the Show all settings checkbox below.
Select the Projects and Solutions option (left side) and enable the Show advanced build configurations checkbox.
On the Build menu, select Configuration Manager (if you don’t have the Build option, right-click in the toolbar and choose Customize and then the Build option).
On the Configuration Manager, choose New from the Active solution platform drop-down. On the new platform select x64 and choose to copy settings from x86.
To verify the setting select project properties (Project menu, project name properties), and the on Build tab, verify or set the platform to x64.
(09-21-2012, 07:16 AM)pgert Wrote: Unless you somehow can remove the 64-bit coded files, and still make it work,
That should definitely be possible, since the emulator is supposed to work also on computers that have no 64-bit CPU, meaning that those code sections are not then used. But removing them might reduce optimization on those computers that can use 64-bit code, so it's fortunate that such removal won't be needed, as stated below...

(09-21-2012, 10:03 AM)Scarlet.Crush Wrote: VS2010 Express Editions do support 64bit, you just have to enable Tools > Settings > Expert Settings.
Thanks, that's an important piece of info you found there Smile

(09-21-2012, 10:47 AM)pgert Wrote: Here is some info I extracted from various sites (if your up for it).

Install the Platform SDK and switch the solution's SDK to Windows71 (instead of v100) to get x64 compilation working for free.
I'm not sure of the term "the solution's SDK" here (what solution ?), but I think I'll understand it anyway when I get to that point and can see the menus available.

Quote:The command-line compiler is only in the SDK.
Again I'm not fully sure what you mean, as I thought the compilers would be included in the express edition ISO of Visual C++. But I suppose the SDK might have some too.

Quote:Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...px?id=3138
I assume this one is intended for Visual Studio 2008, which I won't be using. Or should I install this package too, anyway ?

Quote:Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 (ISO)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...px?id=8442
I have downloaded two of the three ISOs linked on that page, one for x86 and one for x64 (I've no interest in Itanium), and it is the one for x64 I intend to install, but again I'm unsure whether that is enough, or if I need to install both to allow coding for both CPU types.

Quote:On the Tools menu, select Settings and then Expert Settings.
----- snip ----- re: detailed instructions to enable x64 stuff
I assume this refers to the menus and dialogs of the Express Edition of Visual C++. Right ?

Again, I expect that this will all become clearer to me when I get that far, so I can see the menus and options available.

Thanks a lot for the efforts spent by you and the others to help me get started. Hopefully I'll be able to install the new stuff and get acquainted with it within a few days. But there's a lot to install and a lot of new information for me to take in and other preparations to make (starting with a full ghost backup of course, so I can back out of any mistakes).

This will keep me busy for a while now, but I'll be back later with updates on my progress.

I've now had some more time to spend on this, and have reached the point where I have most of the dev stuff needed installed and have done my first compile of the main pcsx2 project, resulting in a fully working "pcsx2-dbg.exe". (Tested with FF12_IZJS.)

At first I was a little worried, as opening the SLN file in 'VS C++ 2010 Express' immediately gave error messages about how 'Solution folders' are not supported in this version. But I soon realized that the project links that should have been inside those folders were simply unwrapped from their folder structures, and added to the main project list, just like the main pcsx2 project. So I right-clicked that main entry and gave the 'Build' command, which then compiled the EXE file mentioned above.

The final 2 lines of the compilation 'Output' looked like this:
Code:
12>  pcsx2.vcxproj -> D:\Dev\pcsx2-main\bin\\pcsx2-dbg.exe
========== Build: 12 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
(I'm not sure what the 'up-to-date' entry really means here, but the rest looks good anyway.)

I then copied that EXE file into my normal pcsx2 folder for recent revisions, so I could test it properly without having to compile all the other pcsx2-related components. The first test gave an error message about a missing DLL, but I soon realized that this too was included among the newly compiled stuff in the main 'bin' folder, so I copied the "w32pthreads.v4-dbg" DLL into my normal pcsx2 folder as well, and after that all my tests worked fine.

Because of me using the 'Express' version of VS, I expect I'm unable to ever become a full contributor to the project, and I'm not prepared to pay up the appx $2000 (USD) it would cost me to buy the 'Pro' version (that is what it costs here anyway). So my contributions will probably have to be limited to separate CPP files and/or diff files for such.

This being the case I think direct SVN updating by me is out of the question, and a better method would be for me to send any updates I make to someone who already is a full project developer, for integration into the real project/solution folders using the 'Pro' VS version.

I'm open to suggestions for how to proceed with this, and would welcome input from any of the current pcsx2 developers.

That issue is in no way urgent, as I expect it will be quite some time before I have any worthwhile contributions to make, partly because I'm as yet unfamiliar with some of the tools and libs, and partly because my time to spend on this is limited. But once I do have something to contribute, I hope I'll be allowed to do so, even though I'm unable to handle the full pcsx2 source package properly with my VS version (which may also lack some other features needed by the full project).

(09-27-2012, 03:00 PM)dlanor Wrote: (I'm not sure what the 'up-to-date' entry really means here, but the rest looks good anyway.)

The "Up-to-date" result is used if one of the included projects during the build has already been compiled previously and hasnt changed since.

The best thing to do is create a "patch" file, you can do this if you use tortoiseSVN http://tortoisesvn.net/
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]