PCSX2 Seems Slow on Xubuntu 13.04
I've run PCSX2 under Windows and played Dynasty Warriors 3 with little to no problem performance-wise (just had to make sure that triple-core+ setting was enabled).

I was trying to run it on Linux currently, and the performance is significantly lower (well, it's fine until just a few enemies come near me).

As for my hardware:
CPU-Z: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2554943
GPU-Z: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/8s4zs/

Only thing really different now is I have a bit more voltage on the CPU, 8GB of RAM, and I'm using AMD's 13.3 Beta 3 driver. But in any case, hardware-wise, I should be alright.

I used the Quantal package from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~gregory-hainaut/+...ficial.ppa (no raring available that I know of)

And installed the pcsx2-unstable package (it seems to of auto-installed the i386 one).

PCSX2 Program Log:
Quote:PCSX2 1.1.0.r0 - compiled on Feb 9 2013
Savestate version: 0x9a0a0000

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Linux 3.8.0-16-generic x86_64
Physical RAM = 7986 MB
CPU name = AMD Phenom™ II X4 20 Processor
Vendor/Model = AuthenticAMD (stepping 02)
CPU speed = 3.297 ghz (4 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = 178bfbff 00802009
x86EFlags = efd3fbff

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3
MMX2 .. 3DNOW .. 3DNOW2.. SSE4a

Installing POSIX SIGSEGV handler...
Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
Binding GS: /usr/lib/games/pcsx2/libGSdx-0.1.16.so
Binding PAD: /usr/lib/games/pcsx2/libonepad-1.1.0.so
Binding SPU2: /usr/lib/games/pcsx2/libspu2x-2.0.0.so
Binding CDVD: /usr/lib/games/pcsx2/libCDVDnull.so
Binding USB: /usr/lib/games/pcsx2/libUSBnull-0.7.0.so
Binding FW: /usr/lib/games/pcsx2/libFWnull-0.7.0.so
Binding DEV9: /usr/lib/games/pcsx2/libdev9null-0.5.0.so
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9643 games on record (loaded in 273ms)

When using GSdx (GCC 4.7.2, SSE2) 0.1.16 [libGSdx-0.1.16] plugin, I cannot use the experimental Hardware acceleration mode (PCSX2 locks up right after booting either full or fast). I can use the Software mode one, which performs alright, but still a good bit slower than Windows. Both ZZ Ogl's (ZZ Ogl PG 0.4.0 [libzzogl-0.4.0] and ZZ Ogl PG CG 0.3.0 [libzzogl-cg-0.3.0]) work, but are even slower than GSdx's Software mode.

I'm just looking for any suggestions as to how to get some more performance pretty much. Should I try newer plugins, and if so, where can I get them? Is there a newer binary of PCSX2 around, or do I have to compile it somehow (I'm not good with compiling).

Sponsored links

at this time there is a lot of work being done on linux version. hw mode is completely broken with fglrx driver and not much better with nvidia. amd doesnt seem to interested in fixing the gpu drivers. dw3 bottlenecks when more soldiers appear so for now play on windows or your ps2. i personally have the same problem with armored core 2 cutscenes. and also pcsx2 is 32 bit only. multiarch allows 32 bit apps to install on 64 bit.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti