PCSX2 Setup as ALWAYS Lags :(
Hi guys
Bacially ive been tryign for ages to gsetup my PCSX2 ps2 emulator with no luck. My CPU and Frame Rate percentage drops to way under 50% and never works without being extremely slow or laggy! Here are my specs as my laptop is quite decent so i would appreciate someone telling me how i need to set it up.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/unled2si.jpg/

Cheers

Sponsored links

What game? PCSX2 settings? Plugin settings? What do the EE/GS% numbers in the game window say when you get slowdowns?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
games are usally SSX 3, Fifa games, gran turismo, lord of the rings, pro evo 5, gta vice city, metal gear solid series, need for speed black edition etc
settings are this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/unled3gg.jpg/

i convert all my games to iso before i play them.
nothing works, it always lags

EE/GS? i guess you mean framerate etc
i only manage to get 22fps and the cpu speed percentages etc , they both only just reach 50% maximum.

thanks
That version of PCSX2 has not been supported for quite some time now (doesn't have the EE/GS% info either), try with the latest release at least:
http://pcsx2.net/downloads.php
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Are you a rebel? Otherwise, you should use a modern PCSX2 revision.

The latest stable revision is a good choice. PCSX2 0.9.8

Your system specs are quite important. Please mention them.
EDIT: Ok, it's the first link. So, your specs are rather low. Although a Core i, it is at a low clockrate. The GPU being one of Intel's integrated ones is surely going to hold you back. Most games will be a struggle.

Also, you should be a bit more specific on the games. "Lord of the Rings" is several different games. Believe it or not, you can't expect all games of the same series to emulate the same. Wink
right I'm installing the new version now....

any tips hwo to set up this emulator to the optimum specs regarding my laptop specs? Smile
Use a low internal resolution, and apply Speedhacks as needed for speed (try the Preset options if you're still new). And make sure your Power Plan is set to "High Performance" or the likes.

Even with the lowest tolerable resolution, and Speedhacks used excessively (i.e. "Mostly Harmful"), you will still find games that just won't run too well.

Also, you could check out PCSX2 configuring for low-end PCs.
God I hate imageshack... Anyways your computer is modern, but sadly the specs are sub-optimal for PCSX2. First of all is the complete lack of a dedicated GPU, making sure "native" is selected in GSDx's menu will help but still be slow and possibly buggy due to incomplete DX10 specs in intel IGPs (until Sandybridge, which I think does meet DX10 spec but is still sub-par speed wise)

Unfortunately your CPU is a bit on a slow side too... While it is an i5 which does mean it's faster clock for clock than C2D and Phenom II's, it's still pretty slow (2.27ghz with a max turbo boost of 2.53 ghz). For most games 3ghz+ is recommended for constant full speed, and sadly from the list of games you have tried you've picked from amongst the harder to emulate games... Some requiring well in excess of 4ghz+ (metal gear solid series ESPECIALLY)

As for EE and GS%, those are the numbers on the top of your PCSX2 window when a game is running. They give more information on what's causing slowdowns. If your EE% is very high (90+%) that means that your CPU is holding back full speed. If your GS% is high, it could be the GPU holding you back OR simply a limitation based on how the PS2 game was coded. If neither % are very high but your still getting very slow speeds it's either a GPU issue or poor configuration (usually the former).
[Image: 2748844.png]
ahhh okay thanks very much for the help!
regarding the GS and EE, i was getting about:

EE: 20/30 %
GS: 70/90 %

this was when i configured the emulator to pretty much low resolution, and lots of speed hacks.
my frame rate was a poor 22fps on average....

so I'm guessing I wont be able to run PCSX2 Sad
Its a shame thoughhhhh Sad

Thanks for all your help though! if there's ever anythign else i could do to speed up my emulator please mention it! thanks
Given your GPU and those numbers, it's likely your GPU holding you back, at least to those extremes. About the only suggestion I could give aside from those mentioned previously would be to look into easier to emulate games such as FFX, KH1, .hack// (first series, //GU series is very intensive), and simpler 2d games like Disgaea.
[Image: 2748844.png]