PCSX2 Slows down after a while.
My specs are:
OS: Windows 7 Home Basic Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit7
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 710M
Memory: 8.0 GB
130GB Available drive space.

PCSX2 version is 1.4.0 (Maybe this isn't relevant, but whatever.)

This has been an insanely annoying issue ever since I got PCSX2.
So, games seems to run PERFECTLY once I start the emulator,  but after 30~40mins, the fps will just start slowly dropping  and  dropping , to the point where the whole thing is unplayable.

I was playing Digimon World 4, and it's especially easy to notice on the Shop or Save Screens, since it's just text, there would be no reason for it to slow down, generally. But if I leave the game there and come back after, say, an hour, it'll be SO much slower. Like, 17-20FPS slow.

The exact same thing has happened with me while using Desmume as well. And it seems to be a pretty well-known problem.(At least it was in the google search results...)
Something regarding laptops and CPU affinity, if I recall correctly. But the given "solutions" never quite solved anything, and applying them to PCSX2 solved even less.
I'm not sure why that happens  but the reason is probably "laptop", considering everyone else with a proper desktop pc seems to run it just fine. Maybe once it overheats it slows stuff down in a attempt to save power or something, I dunno.

This has been... Frustrating, to say the least.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored links

Quote: Maybe once it overheats it slows stuff down in a attempt to save power or something, I dunno.
This.

Make sure you set windows power plan to performance mode, and that you aren't running on batteries
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-31-2016, 04:43 PM)jesalvein Wrote: This.

Make sure you set windows power plan to performance mode, and that you aren't running on batteries

It already is, though. And I always ran the emulator with the charger connected.
I would check your temperatures when the slowdowns occur, i suggest using a tool like coretemp.

Direct binary download link (because the installer has crap in it Tongue) http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/php/download.php?id=3
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-31-2016, 10:12 PM)refraction Wrote: I would check your temperatures when the slowdowns occur, i suggest using a tool like coretemp.

Direct binary download link (because the installer has crap in it Tongue) http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/php/download.php?id=3

Thanks! Here's the results. I included screenshots both from before and after the slowdown. The computer got... Noticeably hotter.

your over heating lucky the laptop doesnt just shut off
Ok your cpu is getting too hot and slowly itself down. You need to improve ventilation, male sure there isn't dust in the fans and you use the laptop on a hard surface.

It might be worth considering getting a laptop cooler.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(02-01-2016, 01:43 AM)refraction Wrote: Ok your cpu is getting too hot and slowly itself down.  You need to improve ventilation, male sure there isn't dust in the fans and you use the laptop on a hard surface.

It might be worth considering getting a laptop cooler.

Yeah...I clean the laptop pretty regularly. So, I guess I should get the cooler I have out of the box. I'm afraid of what the dust might do to my nose, though.

Maybe PCSX2 is more demanding than I expected... Thanks, though.
Also if possible think about redoing the thermal paste on the cpu as well. I didi it on my think-pad and temps from about 5c for me. AKA instead of hitting 95c it now hits 90 which is slightly better.
(02-01-2016, 03:14 AM)Topken Wrote: Also if possible think about redoing the thermal paste on the cpu as well. I didi it on my think-pad and temps from about 5c for me. AKA instead of hitting 95c it now hits 90 which is slightly better.

Will do. Any improvement is still an improvement, right?

I should also note that, if anyone is interested, using a cooler made a HUGE difference. The fps remained stable for as long as I played. (Which was ~2hours, i think.)
I might also look into closing a few processes that could be stealing the cpu usage to ease things a bit. (Heard that antiviruses are good at doing that...)

Thanks for your help, everyone!