PCSX2 Strange CPU Usage Reading
I have only read about this through googling once in another forum somewhere, but it was unanswered thus pushing me to post this here.
I would also like to add that I haven't had any problem as the one I'm describing now before I had totally made a clean install of Windows XP Professional SP1 and then upgrading to SP2 > Direct x 9.0c March 2009 Release, Visual C++ Redistributable 2008, .net framework 3.5 sp1, and of course the nVidia Video Driver (I did try many versions of the nVidia Video Driver, including my original one before the clean install). Of course I have tried many different combinations of gsdx plugins, in fact the original pcsx2 configurations I had back up'ed on my External HDD, when copied over to my clean install, they also give ***** CPU readings. This has been bothering me for a while, because of course when testing my computer to run a game, I would like to know whether the gsdx plugin is using up 99% or the CPU resources or not, although it may not be accurate, it at least gives me within the ballpark of how well my computer (I should mention its a laptop, if that provides any help) can handle it. Before I post my complete configurations (Since I don't believe the case is that my configurations are odd), I would like to ask in general if any of you have encountered this problem and simply found the solution on your own. I will post configs later though if it will truly help solve this case. From all of the above, I am only able to conclude that the problem lies within the fact that I have lacked to install a required system file, but it seems so weird, because I should have everything from windows update, all the drivers, all the essential files that one would need to use a computer fully to its function.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

something like this happens with AMD Athlon 64 x2 processors when you dont have dual core optimiser installed.
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
Wow... took a while to decipher since you made your entire post a wall of text.

If it's what it sounds like, the CPU speed bug was fixed in the latest SVN builds. It will be in the next version of pcsx2 (either beta or release)
It's weird, but does it matter? I just use a separate CPU meter
(08-13-2009, 12:30 AM)se7enfive Wrote: I have only read about this through googling once in another forum somewhere, but it was unanswered thus pushing me to post this here.
I would also like to add that I haven't had any problem as the one I'm describing now before I had totally made a clean install of Windows XP Professional SP1 and then upgrading to SP2 > Direct x 9.0c March 2009 Release, Visual C++ Redistributable 2008, .net framework 3.5 sp1, and of course the nVidia Video Driver (I did try many versions of the nVidia Video Driver, including my original one before the clean install). Of course I have tried many different combinations of gsdx plugins, in fact the original pcsx2 configurations I had back up'ed on my External HDD, when copied over to my clean install, they also give ***** CPU readings. This has been bothering me for a while, because of course when testing my computer to run a game, I would like to know whether the gsdx plugin is using up 99% or the CPU resources or not, although it may not be accurate, it at least gives me within the ballpark of how well my computer (I should mention its a laptop, if that provides any help) can handle it. Before I post my complete configurations (Since I don't believe the case is that my configurations are odd), I would like to ask in general if any of you have encountered this problem and simply found the solution on your own. I will post configs later though if it will truly help solve this case. From all of the above, I am only able to conclude that the problem lies within the fact that I have lacked to install a required system file, but it seems so weird, because I should have everything from windows update, all the drivers, all the essential files that one would need to use a computer fully to its function.

I get that strange reading too whenever my usage drops particularly low (in menus mostly). I'm not sure what causes it but it's probably a simple calculation error that does not appear to affect performance.
(08-13-2009, 12:38 AM)nataq01 Wrote: something like this happens with AMD Athlon 64 x2 processors when you dont have dual core optimiser installed.

I think you're on to something, nataq01. Although my processor is a Core 2 Duo Intel T9500 @2.6 ghz (the Penryn Model), I did have that software previously installed on my computer prior to the wipe. It did seem strange to me that my friend also had this funny CPU reading situation in PCSX2, and I thought I caught it from him. He was on Windows 7 though, and I had just did the clean install over a Windows 7 Trial version. Anyway thanks nataq, I'll try and see if that solves the case.
What game is that?
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
That is Tales of the Abyss
Yes! I think I found a solution. I'll leave PCSX2 running for longer just to make sure no more weird readings pop-up (-1630238%). However I installed two files, so I cannot say for sure which one solved the problem, or if it was a combination effort. The first one alone by itself failed to produce any results, so I highly believe its this one:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...laylang=en. Other forums online do mention that unless its really needed, generally there is no need to install it. The first software I installed was AMD's Dual Core Optimizer Version 1.4 from the AMD processor driver downloads.
Searching the forum usually helps.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-9184-post...l#pid68867
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB