PCSX2 Vsync,W7Aero and Input lag. Borderless windowed needs to go.
For people curious of the benefits of Exclusive Fullscreen vs Borderless fullscreen. In Dolphin in Windows 7 (OpenGL), input latency goes from 53 ms to 17 ms using the Rockband Input Tester.

As far as I know, PCSX2's old support was like Dolphin's ancient support, buggy, hacky, and prone to crash. Borderless fullscreen doesn't suffer from a lot of the bugs and seems to play a lot nicer without weird quirks. Exclusive Fullscreen is a total pain in the ass to implement, opens up the emulator to all kinds of hangs and crashes, but brings far lower input latency and a smoother framerate.

It took months of work to get Exclusive Fullscreen remerged in dolphin, and then there were months worth a regressions, and it's still not perfect. Some people still get the loop of death that PCSX2 got depending on hardware configuration.

So yeah, I think for a lot of games would benefit from the lower input latency, but you REALLY need to have a dedicated coder who's willing to deal with tons of problems.

Sponsored links

Am I the only one in the topic that doesn't have a problem with how it works right now? Because I really don't notice any of these so called input lags. Maybe I'm just missing it, idk.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
I also never had any input lag problems in my games.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(03-06-2015, 10:20 AM)jesalvein Wrote: That's a Nice idea.
Do you have any timeline on when you will have imported the exclusive full screen feature ?

Cause this all been argue before and most people dont even know why its likes this.....

My response to this is like his here we go again.

I see no input lag either so input lag is user side issue, I have never seen any input lag in pcsx2
I don't notice any input lag either.
it's noticeable if you speed run games and demand near perfection in how you time things like jumps.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
It's there, but not a huge issue to most people.

I mentioned to Karasuhebi a while back that I'd look in to implementing it. However I've found that for now, it's still beyond me. I still have much to learn.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(03-07-2015, 12:18 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: It's there, but not a huge issue to most people.

I mentioned to Karasuhebi a while back that I'd look in to implementing it. However I've found that for now, it's still beyond me. I still have much to learn.

its there yes but with vsync and full speed the ms latency is on the order of 80-100ms if not lower which i think it is which not noticable for most part and is about the "latency most wireless controllers and the people that complain about delay commands there is the controller its the HDTV and all is processing effect it add. A when a computer cant handle full speed that "latency" issue is simply do to the pc not being able to keep full speed. which has nothing to do with the controller again.

Which is not the same thing, people just think it the same.

His pc is slightly better then min only cause he OC and has better gpu, and only time "latency" is issue for commands is when said games cant keep fullspeed.

ZoE series comes to mind.

Nor has Vsync in anyway guarantee smooth framerates it just keep tearing from happen. has lot of drawbacks.

Windows Aero is is own form of vsync too, it just dont cap the framerate at monitors hz.
I'm a speedrunner, I speedrun the MegaMan Legends series on PS1/N64. I used to run on a crappy capture card because I didn't have room for a CRT T.V. in my room. The latency on the capture card was about 3+ frames (60 - 70ms measured by Rockband 2's checker) and it made speedrunning a pain in the ass. I felt like I was at a constant disadvantage to everyone else who had better setups.

When I'd practice on emulators, the difference in input latency (even when taking into account I was using a bargain bin adapter) was huge, it allowed me to have a new level of precision in my movements and aiming.

I now have a stupidly expensive Capture Card with less lag than a Wii U Gamepad, and I've been practicing more games on newer consoles. As such, I can't really use PCSX2 for high level practice (general practice is fine; savestates are worth it,) because it tends to mess up my timings. With Exclusive Fullscreen on Dolphin, I actually run into the problem where sometimes latency is still less than console, but it's not so far apart that I can't adjust.

Now, it's not your job to cater to everyone and anyone. PCSX2 would be considered a luxury for speedrunning, because it has features that make it worthwhile to practice on and use in many cases, even if it isn't perfect. Would having latency be even better help? Yes, but if the current staff has no desire to implement it, then it's up to someone who cares to show up and do it.
I have the desire because I can definitely see it being useful(as a big fan of rhythm games), but I don't have the skill. Yet. I honestly don't think any of the current staff do, either.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD