PCSX2 - When Idle -> PC crash
(04-17-2009, 12:08 AM)With Teeth Wrote: I've left PCSX2 on with a game running for hours and it didn't crash. It's not PCSX2's problem. Is your computer overclocked? If so, most likely your OC is unstable.

Yes, it's clocked, and believe me, I've tested it really good, and it's a stable OC... Been using more complex and more demanding applications than PCSX2 and for days without shutting it down, and it never crashed. Period. Never.

@ Air - Believe me, I wouldn't state such a dumb problem if it was because of my PC, I posted it because it is very unusual. All the more if the PCSX2 is idle, if it was running full speed and then crashed, I wouldn't make nothing out of it.

So far I can only be certain that it happened after I've exited a game, the other possibility is still open as I haven't tried that... yet...
Currently Working On:
[Image: 20accwz.png]
- SSX3 testing
- God Of War 2 testing

-> Inactive till May 4th

Sponsored links

hmm i've been perfectly able to have pcsx2 idle before and after loading a game (also leaving the game running while answering some posts here at pcsx2 Tongue).

you could check what caused it to crash (by going to the event viewer Smile).
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
(04-17-2009, 12:31 AM)vborovic Wrote: Yes, it's clocked, and believe me, I've tested it really good, and it's a stable OC... Been using more complex and more demanding applications than PCSX2 and for days without shutting it down, and it never crashed. Period. Never.

@ Air - Believe me, I wouldn't state such a dumb problem if it was because of my PC, I posted it because it is very unusual. All the more if the PCSX2 is idle, if it was running full speed and then crashed, I wouldn't make nothing out of it.

So far I can only be certain that it happened after I've exited a game, the other possibility is still open as I haven't tried that... yet...

You know, about 15 years ago there was a story (it's still there now if you ever wanna read it, just google) about BOFH. Let me quote a bit (if I remember it correctly):
User: My computer doesn't power on!
BOFH: Check your power cord.
User: Already did, still nothing.
User: Are you stupid? I'm telling you I already did and...
User: Oh, yeah... sorry, the problem was actually with a power cord...

See my point?Laugh
I am very much aware of that... But, I'll just have to prove it right or wrong the hard way... Testing it until either the PC gives up, or I give up...
Currently Working On:
- SSX3 testing
- God Of War 2 testing

-> Inactive till May 4th
(04-17-2009, 12:22 AM)Air Wrote:
(04-16-2009, 10:38 PM)vborovic Wrote: 8/8 times today my PC froze because the PCSX2 was running (no game loaded, just the EMU and the console were active) and idle, and I had to restart it.

There are few true impossibilities in the world of computers, but the idea of an idle Pcsx2 gui hard crashing your computer would nearly qualify as one. As the word 'idle' implies, pcsx2 does little more than sleep and pump Windows messages while idle. This is the same thing all programs do.

To clarify: Does this happen when having loaded/exited a game and left the emu idle, or even when just starting the program and leaving it idle (without having executed any game)?

Faulty drivers perhaps?
Otherwise I agree. It's rather hard to freeze the entire system, not to mention doing it unintentionally while idling.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
So, following Air's idea, I went to see what task manager tells me about those two possible states. Now, if I only start the emu, and not load anything, it will use 7.5-8 Mb of RAM memory.... If I load a game, and exit it, then check the state... Now it was 260-270 Mb of RAM in use... I know it's stupid, but that's my concern... Maybe, just maybe, there is a possibility that either the PCSX2 uses a part of memory that some other application wants to take over, or vice versa... Either this, or I really don't see a reason why it would freeze the PC.... Oh, and so far I haven't crashed it, but not that I'm trying to... Each time my PC crashes, my RAID drive needs to be rebuilt, and it's 320 GB of it (no, I don't want to disable it for the sake of testing, I have data there that I could stake my life on it)... so it takes time and a lot of CPU...

EDIT: after testing a bit, I've managed to gain new values for used RAM after exiting a game (the used memory is still when PCSX2 is idle after exiting, not a single byte moves):

290 - 350 - 400 - 470 MB RAM that will be occupied by the PCSX2....
Currently Working On:
- SSX3 testing
- God Of War 2 testing

-> Inactive till May 4th
hardware does go bad, overnight, out of the box, or after a minute, it doesnt care when. it happens.

try and diag all of your hardware, run PC Check if you can. i would definitely test your hardware to make sure nothing is failing. problems that usually arise out of nowhere generally are hardware related.

you could try a reinstall but thats more time consuming and holds greater potential for being a waste of time.
CPU : i7 4930k @ 4.0GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1603MHz 1.60v
GPU : Asus R9 290X 4GB
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
OSYS: Windows 10 Pro
When Pcsx2 is "idle" after having run and stopped a game, it's only 'pseudo' idle. By that I mean the plugins for the game have been started and are still loaded in the background. Only issuing a Reset unloads plugins. This is the spiked (250+ megs) of ram usage you see.

Translation: It's probably a plugin causing the problem. Most likely either the SPU2 plugin or the GS plugin.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(04-17-2009, 04:05 PM)Air Wrote: When Pcsx2 is "idle" after having run and stopped a game, it's only 'pseudo' idle. By that I mean the plugins for the game have been started and are still loaded in the background. Only issuing a Reset unloads plugins. This is the spiked (250+ megs) of ram usage you see.

Translation: It's probably a plugin causing the problem. Most likely either the SPU2 plugin or the GS plugin.

I know it's pseudo idle, but I didn't think it would cause problems while being lazy and doing nothing... Tongue ... As of now, I didn't leave it running like that, and no crashes so far...

Anyways, thanks for proving me right... Smile
Currently Working On:
- SSX3 testing
- God Of War 2 testing

-> Inactive till May 4th
If you can figure out which plugin it is, it might be helpful.
Basically, try doing an idle for a while with SPU2null, and if it still crashes, try ZeroGS. My guess is one or the other will solve the lockup.

It still seems like a system/OS install problem however, most likely related to either XA2 (SPU2) or D3D (GS).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team