PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
(06-21-2012, 02:01 AM)cloudalmasai Wrote: I test the patch directly on the game elf, and is working great, the hex editor is a little difficult at firts but I manage to do it, now I will like to rebuild the whole image with the modified elf, how can I do this. When I tried to replace the original elf file in the 7-zip maneger and winrar, both refuse to do it, maybe extracting the files within the disc and then rebuild the image would help, but I dont know if that break the game in any form.

@cloudalmasai how can I apply the patch directly on the game elf?

What I need?

I didn't see any tutorial for apply a patch directly on the game elf and some games like Kingdom Hearts need elf edit in order to get the 16:9
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz with turbo boost) 4.23GHz with OC
RAM 8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GTX 560
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Currently using Driver 314.22 WHQL

Sponsored links

^ I'll just copy paste this from my patch post...

Quote:2012.06.22 update: ELF Patching
nemesis2000 of psx-scene discovered you can patch games to support widescreen via their .elf files. The files looks something like this on your PS2 disc: SLPM_650.77. This method can patch games that are impossible to patch with Cheat Engine.

Just extract and hex edit the appropriate file with the updated values, save the file as something like SLPM_650.77-wide.elf, mount your ISO (making sure pcsx2 plugin can read it), then load the modified .elf file instead of the ISO.

Note: If pcsx2 crashes it's probably because the file is located in a folder containing kanji characters or other symbols. And if you're looking for a free hex editor, try something like xvi32 or hxd.
If it didn't involve patching files I would of made an automated system but decided against it for obvious reasons.

For now nothing beats a good hex editor (Hex Editor Neo, and HXD are nice).
(06-24-2012, 11:16 PM)synce Wrote: ^ I'll just copy paste this from my patch post...

Thank you very much @since Wink and yeah I can keep my clean iso. Cool

Can I enable 1080i, 720p, (and 1080p for use in pcsx2) via hex edit, is it need a exact value for every game or one right value should work for games with for example: for 512x448 change 20EF325 to 21EF425
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz with turbo boost) 4.23GHz with OC
RAM 8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GTX 560
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Currently using Driver 314.22 WHQL
Yeah you can edit native res, nemesis explained it in other thread...

I just started tinkering with ZOE Biggrin

(note gsdx res)
Well the resolution hacks didn't work out as you can see...

[attachment=38558]

But I did manage to find the ratio value. I figured it was close to the res value, and with a little trial and error...

[attachment=38559] [attachment=38560]
Cool

UPDATE: ZOE2 now in widescreen... Finally...

[attachment=38561] [attachment=38562]

Just gotta do a little testing

UPDATE 2: Everything seems OK, but holy christ look at the framerate/EE% below. I think making the game widescreen made it even more demanding. I noticed the same thing with MGS2 when Snake is in the rain

[attachment=38564]

I got a handful of games left that still aren't widescreen, so I'll attempt those real quick (Wild Arms 5 is next) and then I can update my patch post one last time... hopefully...
(06-25-2012, 01:03 AM)hyakki Wrote: If it didn't involve patching files I would of made an automated system but decided against it for obvious reasons.

There are still ways you can do it without patching files on PCSX2 and I can think of a couple. The thing is that it has to be hardcoded/ implemented on the emulator because at this state with what is given it's impossible (for example .pnach'es wouldn't work) except someone wants to put the hacks in the CRC hacks or the Automatic gamefixes which sounds like a bad idea. For sure a 3rd saperate option should be implemented for that.

(06-25-2012, 08:51 AM)synce Wrote: Well the resolution hacks didn't work out as you can see...
It should work properly on specific games that for example use one resolution despite content (me and reprep tried it). I'm pretty sure you can do it with Tekken 4 and replace the value for 480p with a resolution you desire and then you should switch (not boot) to that resolution. The thing is that when you pick a resolution on bootup you need to acquire a flag for a resolution change otherwise it should result into garbage. Another thing is that the results won't be the same as PS2 hardware, some games should work fine in PS2 Hardware and the rest would work fine with PCSX2. There is a GSdX behaviour that handles something that could conflict with such thing/trick, I bet it has to do with somekind of an undocumented PS2 SDK call or something.

I'd love a detailed explanation/tutorial how to patch ELFs for widescreen or a resolution change because from what I have found out myself alone so far only like 10% of the times the results work and all of them have some glitches.
@synce, good work with zoes games, can you share the addreses?, I would like to testing a little
Intel 3570k @ 4.3 GHz -0.005 offset 1.224 V
Noctua NH-U9B push/pull
Asus Maximus V Gene - Bios 1707 LLC Ultra High
4x2GB Samsung 30nm @ 1600 11-11-11-28-1T
Asus GTX550 Ti - for now
MyDigitalSSD BP3 64GB msata - for now
Corsair AX650
@virgin Do you mean the resolution hacks have glitches, or widescreen? With the latter I haven't noticed any myself but I didn't test too much

I think patching elfs for widescreen isn't too different from doing things with cheat engine, there's a lot of luck and guessing involved. But it's not as convenient since you can't do things in real time or search for value ranges.. at least I don't think so

@cloud Thanks, below are the values. I played a few areas in each game and didn't notice anything wrong, except ZOE2 raping my laptop... but I think that's due to the newer gsdx. There was an old revision I used specifically for this game but I lost it :/

Zone of the Enders
Code:
00008144 0A0A4234 (80)3F013C 00308144
to
00008144 0A0A4234 (40)3F013C 00308144

Zone of the Enders Anubis Special Edition
Code:
(80)3F013C 00088144 30000526 10000226
to
(40)3F013C 00088144 30000526 10000226

BTW Wild Arms 5 is probably impossible. I can't find res value (tried 512, 448, even 640), and changing anything that even looks like an aspect value usually results in some kind of crazy bloom effect. Also the game can't be quick booted from the elf for some reason... that might have something to do with it.

I might try Kagero 2/Trapt later because the CE results are so flawed, but otherwise I'm done patching
@synce, I meant the resolution ones, you may need to patch alot more than just the value for the resolution, mostly in games with various ingame resolutions but it's def possible.