PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
(02-08-2019, 11:03 PM)K1 Wrote: I tried the NTSC patch for Mission Impossible. The spikey polygons seems to be gone, but unfortunately geometry isn't being drawn on the edges of the screen now.

Sad Sad Sad

Sponsored links

NTSC-U and PAL

Dropship - United Peace Force (request done)

Attached Files
.rar   Dropship - United Peace Force(NTSC-U, PAL).rar (Size: 882 bytes / Downloads: 244)
NTSC-J

Mawaza (request done)

Attached Files
.pnach   794D3E00.pnach (Size: 153 bytes / Downloads: 166)
(02-04-2019, 08:46 PM)nemesis2000 Wrote: lolwhat? RE4 on ps2 has two modes one like in gamecube version other like every other widescreen game on ps2

What I meant is that I don't think the PS2 or Gamecube version have true widescreen. The ps2 version does have a "widescreen" option to turn on or off, but all it does is remove the black bars by stretching the image vertically and then you have to set your tv from 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9, unless your tv is modern and can automatically adjust the image so that it won't stretch.

For the Gamecube version, I didn't see a similar option for "widescreen" like the PS2, so what can be done to imitate the "widescreen" option like the PS2 is to simply zoom in the image until the black bars are gone.

The reason I say neither have true widescreen is that it seems that the "anamorphic widescreen" it has is really just black bars on a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Seems like a similar situation to the GTA ps2 games where widescreen option is just a zoom to imitate widescreen, but with added black bars.

So what I tested on Gamecube was using Swiss to force a true form of widescreen, except I can't get rid of the black bars. Swiss allows Re4 to display a wider image.

It would be nice to have something like what Swiss is doing and remove the black bars for the PS2 version.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something here, but here are some images of RE4 running on PS2 and Gamecube.

Gamecube version with Swiss to force widescreen, black bars visible
      PS2 version default on a 4:3 aspect ratio, black bars visible
      PS2 version with widescreen option on, black bars not visible
As far as I know, there is no such thing as true widescreen on a real PS2 (not emulator), because the output is always 640x480 (or even a lower 4:3 image) and anamorphic, and a PS2 isn't capable of putting something like 720x480 or 853x480.

That "PS2 version with widescreen option on, black bars not visible" image also looks perfectly fine to me, so are you hoping for something which removes black bars in the 4:3 version so that you can get increased resolution and image quality? Or perhaps you're looking for an FOV mod which zooms out the camera because it's really close to Leon? Or maybe you're looking for a super-widescreen 21:9 version?

Also, just curious, why're you still playing the PS2 version? I know it has Separate Ways. Do you not have access to the Wii, PS4 or PC versions?
(02-10-2019, 07:48 AM)demilich Wrote:   Gamecube version with Swiss to force widescreen, black bars visible
  PS2 version default on a 4:3 aspect ratio, black bars visible
  PS2 version with widescreen option on, black bars not visible

I think you want this style, right?

I tried removing the black bars but it seemed impossible. Also tried 21:9 (like arapapa's pic above) and had no luck either.

But I'm pretty sure I do know how to mod the FoV and could potentially make an FoV mod.

RE4 has a notoriously small FOV.

Default FOV:

My FOV tweak:

If this interests you, let me know, and also let me know which version of RE4 you have. I have the NTSC-U version.
Awesome, thanks to you both, @Devina and @Arapapa for responding quickly. It looks like it is either an fov tweak like you mentioned or perhaps a 21:9 like Arapapa's attempt is what I'm looking for.

I prefer Re4 on the Gamecube or PS2, those are the ones I played back in the day. I still play my old consoles on a widescreen CRT and my biggest library of games are PS2 games . I know there are better ways to play it like you mentioned. We all have preferences in that respect.

I figured since it is a ps2 game, and it seemed that the PS2 version of RE2 did not have a wide enough camera angle in my opinion, why not try to improve the visual experience by giving it a wider angle.

It also seems that RE4 had a tricky implementation of widescreen on a 4:3 aspect ratio. It just so happens that the default widescreen option is not close to a wide camera angle like other widescreen capable games. When I force it with Swiss on the Gamecube it just falls closer to a 21:9 ratio like Arapapa showed.

I do have the NTSC U version of RE4, although I think the Greatest Hits version is the same.

Thanks!
(02-10-2019, 09:36 AM)Devina Wrote: If this interests you, let me know, and also let me know which version of RE4 you have. I have the NTSC-U version.

Hi Devina.

Let me know your fov address ?
Basically, all you need to know is that the value while exploring is 50. The values for using the handgun/knife/grenades are 45. We'd want to raise these values to 65 and 60 respectively. All you really have to do is search for the float values in Cheat Engine (which I can do myself).

The issue is, the FOV changes when Ashley is added to the group, between characters (Ada, plus Krauser and Wesker in Mercenaries), and sometimes, triggering certain points in the game can "reset" the FOV. So I'd have to work on this patch a bit. And I also don't know if the FOV is permanent on a real PS2, so it might need to be hardcoded into the .iso, instead of a simple patch. Not sure.

Here's a basic rough draft:

//FOV (Leon solo)
patch=1,EE,2031E3F4,extended,42820000 //FOV1
patch=1,EE,2031DC74,extended,42820000 //FOV2
patch=1,EE,2031C2F4,extended,42700000 //knife/grenade
patch=1,EE,2031C474,extended,42700000 //knife/grenade

CRC = 013E349D

Here's easy hexadecimal values:

65 = 42820000
60 = 42700000
50 = 42480000
45 = 42340000