PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
(02-20-2020, 07:30 AM)icup321 Wrote: I decided to update ElHecht's Widescreen Patches for Rayman 2: Revolution to support more aspect ratios, the aspect ratios I've added are 16:9 (enabled by default), 15:9, 16:10, 21:9, 25:16, and 32:9. I've also ported his widescreen patch to support the Japanese NTSC-J version (which is vastly different from all the other versions), the Korean NTSC-K version is also supported since it's pretty much near-identical to the USA version (even the crc matches). It looks great, the only problem is that the HUD is still stretched in widescreen and it might be tricky to find a fix since not even the PC modding community has managed to figure out to how to fix the HUD from stretching permanently in widescreen on the PC version of Rayman 2, so maybe someone here could help to see if it's possible to fix it in the PS2 version?
21:9 Screenshot:
[Image: 0frn2br.png]

It is interesting to note that Rayman 3 for the PS2 is the only one out Xbox and Gamecube that supports widescreen mode as an option.

Sponsored links

I just realized from a post on another thread that there weren't any patches for the Greatest Hits revision of Jak and Daxter, so I took it upon myself to port ElHecht's widescreen patch to work on that version!

I highly suggest this code to be added to cheats_ws.zip before PCSX2 v1.6.0 comes out since some graphical bugs were fixed like the black eye texture glitch so people will likely play Jak and Daxter again to see how it looks on PCSX2 once it comes out.

Attached Files
.pnach   472E7699.pnach (Size: 326 bytes / Downloads: 420)
Pnach (v4):
Twisted Metal - Head-On [Extra Twisted Edition] (NTSC-U) [SCUS-97621] [3DC2FE45]
.pnach   3DC2FE45.pnach (Size: 4,57 KB / Downloads: 257)

Changelog:
  • Added X FOV hack for TMHO story mode's in-game cutscenes (commented-out).
  • Added extra hacks to prevent gameplay X and Y FOVs from being reduced after in-game cutscenes playback to completion in TMHO's 1P story mode and Sweet Tour mode.
  • Revised some line comments:
    • Clarified that the menu FOV hacks affect both it and Sweet Tour's in-game cutscenes
    • Clarified that the pre-existing TMHO story mode gameplay FOV hacks only take effect when skipping in-game cutscenes.

What's missing:
  • Weapon HUD's rotating weapon logos need to be repositioned rightwards to center them properly.
  • Sprite widths (e.g. pickup glow effects, etc...) need to be decreased.
  • @gamemasterplc's 2D text thinning hack might need to be adjusted (like moved to a "safer" memory location).
  • Left and right-aligned 2D text need to be repositioned (some already have been - but not all).
  • Button icons need to be repositioned.
  • A fix needs to be implemented to prevent radar coordinate dots from overflowing beyond the radar circle.
  • Widths of moving enemy health bars/arrows need to be decreased.
  • FMVs need to be resized... although PCSX2 would first need to become capable of rendering them (see GitHub issues #961 and #2226).
  • 3D grain overlay object in front of Calypso's close-up in TMHO's opening cutscene needs to be stretched or repositioned to avoid a gap on its right side... only affects the in-game cutscene X FOV hack (which is commented-out).
  • Loading screen's X FOV needs to be reduced.
  • Loading screen bar needs to be thinned-out and repositioned.
  • Certain menu graphics might need to be thinned-out/repositioned.
  • Need to determine the purpose of the MIPS instruction at address 2018DC34. It sets an X FOV, but never seems to run. Might be tied to a shell menu or be an unused leftover from the TMHC prototype.

Notes:
  • Thanks to @TeraGaze for spotting the 1P story mode gameplay FOV issue and @Valhalla for bringing it to my attention... It's a leftover of what @gbit noticed in reply #4,367. @Atomic83 also spotted it in reply #6.276, but at the time I thought he was using the v1 pnach and had just run into the same issue as @gbit.
  • While developping v2 of the pnach in reply #4,371, I skipped all in-game cutscenes during testing...
    • If the user skipped in-game cutscenes (like I did), 1P gameplay would be in proper widescreen.
    • If the user allowed in-game cutscenes to play to completion... 1P gameplay would be in zoomed-in widescreen. This is because the game would use its normal 4:3 X FOV and multiply it against the pnach's Y FOV (which represents a percentage of the X FOV).
      • TMHO story mode's in-game cutscenes had the same issue. But it wasn't very obvious because the reduced Y FOV made it look identical to the PSP version's cutscenes.
    • 2P split screen co-op never had any issues after cutscene playback.
  • I added an additional hack to expand the X FOV in TMHO's in-game cutscenes, but decided to comment-it out for the time being. The hack looks decent in all cutscenes except for one part of the opening cutscene. When the camera first zooms into Calypso, a gap can be seen on the right side of a 3D overlay object that's in front of him. The cutscenes were originally designed for the PSP version of TMHO. The PSP's screen uses a 16:9 aspect ratio - so the cutscenes were already designed with widescreen in mind. The PS2 version retained the PSP version's X FOV, but expanded the Y FOV to make the in-game cutscenes fit in a 4:3 viewport. So taking the PS2 version's expanded Y FOV as a baseline and increasing the X FOV to expand the viewport even further was bound to reveal graphical issues. If the 3D overlay object can be widened or repositioned to hide the gap, it might be worthwhile to pre-enable this hack.
  • This version of the pnach is meant to be a quick-fix. The other enhancements I mentioned in reply #6.279 aren't ready for release yet.
  • Still need to follow-up on Sonic R...

Screenshot descriptions:
  1. TMHO: 1P story in-game cutscene, first close-up angle of Calypso
    1. 4:3 (same X FOV as PSP version with expanded Y FOV)
    2. 16:9 (same X+Y FOV as PSP version... default behaviour in v1-4)
    3. 16:9 (expanded X FOV compared to 4:3, expanded X+Y FOV compared to PSP version, part of grain filter isn't covering right of viewport... commented-out in v4)
    4. 16:9 (super zoomed-out X+Y FOV - just a bonus screenshot to give a better idea of which 3D objects are in this scene)
  2. TMHO: 1P story gameplay
    1. 4:3
    2. 16:9 (v1-3 bug, always occurs after cutscenes in v1, only occurs in v2-3 if cutscene isn't skipped)
    3. 16:9 (v4 fix)
  3. Sweet Tour: In-game cutscene
    2. 16:9 (v1-4 work this way)
  4. Sweet Tour: Gameplay
    2. 16:9 (v2-3 bug, occurs if cutscene isn't skipped)
    3. 16:9 (v4 fix)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Request:
Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy - The Mis-Edventures(NTSC-U) [SLUS-21260]
the game has no widescreen support what so ever.
Hi I wanted to adjust the 'Widescreen' for the game 'Winning Eleven 10 - SLPM_633.74

CODE : 0D02 0E00 0E00 0000 ABAA AA3F 0000 803F 0000 803F 0000 0000 looks good but the players disappear and appear on the sides,
maybe I need to change another code?
Hello,

I'm trying to run Bloody Roar 3 japanese version in widescreen on PCSX2, but the activated option whithin the emulator does not work on this game.

It does work on the US version, but I prefer the Japanese version of the game because it has no blood censorship.

Thx
(03-09-2020, 12:18 AM)SenSx Wrote: Hello,

I'm trying to run Bloody Roar 3 japanese version in widescreen on PCSX2, but the activated option whithin the emulator does not work on this game.

It does work on the US version, but I prefer the Japanese version of the game because it has no blood censorship.

Thx

Which version of JP BR3 do you have? AFAIK there's two variant of JP version in the wild. The one with debug menu still intact in the game and the one which had debug menus completely taken out.
Hello !

I've just tested and it looks like I have the variant with the debug menu.
I honestly don't care about it, if the other JP variant without debug menu works in widescreen I'd pick this one instead...if I can find it, which I couldn't for the moment.
(03-09-2020, 05:44 PM)SenSx Wrote: Hello !

I've just tested and it looks like I have the variant with the debug menu.
I honestly don't care about it, if the other JP variant without debug menu works in widescreen I'd pick this one instead...if I can find it, which I couldn't for the moment.

I don't know if you still watching this thread, but apparently the CRC for the BR3 one was incorrect that's why the patches don't work. You'll have to find the file called "5967BC05.pnach" inside the cheats_ws.zip and rename it (or extract it to cheat_ws directory first) to "4D6DBB75.pnach" (And yes, that widescreen hack was indeed for the "debug menu" variant so you don't need to look for the non-debug menu version of the game)
Ok great thx !

I will try, although I'm a complete noobie for that.