PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
(12-24-2020, 12:20 AM)BloodRaynare Wrote: Try to boot the game without using the savestates, because it might be overwriting the memory values back to the stock one.
Also check out the PCSX2's Program log. It should says something like:
Code:
Loaded xx Widescreen hacks from 'xxxxxxxx.pnach' at 'Documents\PCSX2\cheats_ws'
Overall xx Widescreen hacks loaded

I think i figured it out. I found the line of code you mentioned so I knew that the widescreen was working, at least it was finding the hacks.

this made me think that maybe there was another issue.

https://imgur.com/QlDKpOo

[Image: QlDKpOo]

https://imgur.com/k9rUMJ6

[Image: k9rUMJ6]

So i went and looked at the plugins itself and i found the issue.

https://imgur.com/EvFAuoX

[Image: EvFAuoX]

https://imgur.com/HzBT625

[Image: HzBT625]

I knew i had overlooked something lol.. i needed to change the actual plugin setting to make it 1080p. after i did that it worked great.

https://imgur.com/FLUbRk4

[Image: FLUbRk4]

You can tell on my end that the graphics are greatly improved. And the screen size in the video window is actually 1536x1341 instead of 512x447.

Thanks for the help. knowing what to look for in the code lead me to figure this out LOL. IT LOOKS SO GOOD Smile  

and as a side note, after getting it working i loaded my save state and the widescreen hack worked fine. it was just that plugin setting not being right that was messing everything up.

Sponsored links

I wanted to bring up an issue I was having for several games not being able to run widescreen pnach files, but found a solution.
I mainly use my Slim PS2 SCPH-79001 and had success running most my library in widescreen for the exception of a few games.

Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 NTSC U : black screen, only sound plays
Beyond Good & Evil NTSC U : sound issues, sound running in constant loop would cause progression levels not to load
Chaos Legion NTSC U : sound issues, sound running in constant loop

I tested these games on a different Ps2 SCPH-39001 Phat model and to my surprise all games ran properly in widescreen. Smile
For Resident Evil Outbreak File 2, the game runs properly and for the others with sound issues, those are gone as well.

Another thing to note is that Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 NTSC U has 2 different pnach files in the current archive.

Running the game in PCSX2, the CRC is displayed as 1E65A50E, but to run it on original hardware, it seems that CRC does not work for whatever reason.
Luckily the other CRC that works correctly is already there, 1E65A59B

Any idea how that different CRC was found for it to work on original hardware? I'm curious about this because there might be other games that need this solution.

Running on SCPH 79001 model

Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 NTSC U

Running on SCPH 39001 model

Beyond Good & Evil NTSC U

Chaos Legion NTSC U

(12-24-2020, 07:22 AM)demilich Wrote: I wanted to bring up an issue I was having for several games not being able to run widescreen pnach files, but found a solution.
I mainly use my Slim PS2 SCPH-79001 and had success running most my library in widescreen for the exception of a few games.

Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 NTSC U : black screen, only sound plays
Beyond Good & Evil NTSC U : sound issues, sound running in constant loop would cause progression levels not to load
Chaos Legion NTSC U : sound issues, sound running in constant loop

I tested these games on a different Ps2 SCPH-39001 Phat model and to my surprise all games ran properly in widescreen. Smile
For Resident Evil Outbreak File 2, the game runs properly and for the others with sound issues, those are gone as well.

Another thing to note is that Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 NTSC U has 2 different pnach files in the current archive.

Running the game in PCSX2, the CRC is displayed as 1E65A50E, but to run it on original hardware, it seems that CRC does not work for whatever reason.
Luckily the other CRC that works correctly is already there, 1E65A59B

Any idea how that different CRC was found for it to work on original hardware? I'm curious about this because there might be other games that need this solution.

Running on SCPH 79001 model

Running on SCPH 39001 model

Beyond Good & Evil NTSC U

Chaos Legion NTSC U

Just let you know that slimline models was known to be problematic with some games, even without widescreen hacks. I knew BG&E was quite problematic with the slims.
Also, what did you use to load the cheats? OPL w/ PS2rd or something like PS2rdmod?
[Image: cGzK8nC.gif]
(12-24-2020, 08:19 AM)BloodRaynare Wrote: Just let you know that slimline models was known to be problematic with some games, even without widescreen hacks. I knew BG&E was quite problematic with the slims.
Also, what did you use to load the cheats? OPL w/ PS2rd or something like PS2rdmod?

I'm using PS2rd w/ original discs.
I'm sure it has been brought up before in the past somewhere in this thread, but now I know.
For the longest time I've used my Slim PS2 but recently switched to a PHAT model I cleaned up and fixed.

Do you have any info on finding alternate CRC #s other than the one is listed in PcsX2 when booting a game?
I wonder why RE Outbreak File 2 requires a different CRC # for original hardware rather than the one that works for Pcsx2.
(12-24-2020, 03:55 PM)demilich Wrote: I'm using PS2rd w/ original discs.
I'm sure it has been brought up before in the past somewhere in this thread, but now I know.
For the longest time I've used my Slim PS2 but recently switched to a PHAT model I cleaned up and fixed.

Do you have any info on finding alternate CRC #s other than the one is listed in PcsX2 when booting a game?
I wonder why RE Outbreak File 2 requires a different CRC # for original hardware rather than the one that works for Pcsx2.

By CRC, I take it you're using PS2rdmod right?
Most of the times the CRC is different due to the game got updated in the forms of "Greatest Hits" release. GTA series (Vice City and San Andreas) are the most guilty with this (Also in your case RE Outbreak File #2 does receive a GH release).

To answer you question, you can find the CRC with this little tool. Originally, it was a Python script written by asahui and requires the Python itself to be installed, but now I compiled it to an exe file and replaced the console output with the message boxes. Just drag your game's executable and the tool with give you the resulting CRC.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XrpuIhM...sp=sharing
Yup I'm using PS2rdmod to run pnach files. I am aware of all the different versions of GTA games.
But I actually didn't know there was a GH version of RE Outbreak File #2. I have the regular version I assume, I don't see any GH labeling, unless it was a late regular version print that actually contained the GH executable.

Last time I tried on PCSx2 to check the CRC it came back as 1E65A50E, but on the PS2 console it requires 1E65A59B, but almost got it to work by accident since I was testing it out on the PHAT model PS2 and worked and 1E65A59B pnach works.

Also thanks for the link, but it is not working.

So far, I have 2 other additional games I'm running issues with both seem not to recognize the pnach files.

Yakuza NTSC U

CRC:388F687B

gametitle=Yakuza (U)(SLUS-21348)
comment=Widescreen
//zoom
patch=1,EE,4940023C,extended,0800838C
patch=1,EE,DB0F4834,extended,C0100500

//zoom 2
patch=1,EE,4940013C,extended,DB0F2934
patch=1,EE,0008A948,extended,BC02844B

//hor fov
patch=1,EE,0C0000C6,extended,803F023C
patch=1,EE,00208244,extended,003F033C

-not sure if I have the correct code running or if I have to convert it first.
-on PCSx2 or PS2 console it seems to load the pnach but not load the codes.

Astro Boy NTSC U

-on PCSx2 it recognizes the pnach but then it locks up after the initial startup.
-on console it does cannot find the pnach

CRC : D88FCB86
gametitle=Astro Boy (U)(SLUS-20867)
comment=Widescreen Hack by Arapapa

//Widescreen hack 16:9

//Fov
patch=1,EE,002cb778,word,3c013fd5 //3c013fa0

//Zoom
patch=1,EE,0037f2f8,word,3c013ec0 //3c013f00
(12-26-2020, 12:58 AM)demilich Wrote: Yup I'm using PS2rdmod to run pnach files. I am aware of all the different versions of GTA games.
But I actually didn't know there was a GH version of RE Outbreak File #2. I have the regular version I assume, I don't see any GH labeling, unless it was a late regular version print that actually contained the GH executable.

Last time I tried on PCSx2 to check the CRC it came back as 1E65A50E, but on the PS2 console it requires 1E65A59B, but almost got it to work by accident since I was testing it out on the PHAT model PS2 and worked and 1E65A59B pnach works.

Also thanks for the link, but it is not working.

So far, I have 2 other additional games I'm running issues with both seem not to recognize the pnach files.

Yakuza NTSC U

CRC:388F687B

comment=Widescreen
//zoom
patch=1,EE,4940023C,extended,0800838C
patch=1,EE,DB0F4834,extended,C0100500

//zoom 2
patch=1,EE,0008A948,extended,BC02844B

//hor fov
patch=1,EE,0C0000C6,extended,803F023C
patch=1,EE,00208244,extended,003F033C

-not sure if I have the correct code running or if I have to convert it first.
-on PCSx2 or PS2 console it seems to load the pnach but not load the codes.

Astro Boy NTSC U

-on PCSx2 it recognizes the pnach but then it locks up after the initial startup.
-on console it does cannot find the pnach

CRC : D88FCB86
gametitle=Astro Boy (U)(SLUS-20867)
comment=Widescreen Hack by Arapapa

//Widescreen hack 16:9

//Fov
patch=1,EE,002cb778,word,3c013fd5 //3c013fa0

//Zoom
patch=1,EE,0037f2f8,word,3c013ec0 //3c013f00

Oops I think I maybe screwed it up. After researching it, REO2 doesn't have Greatest Hits release, but REO1 does. Sorry about that.
But still, the reason why there's two identical copies with different content in the executables is still mystery. Either that something happens during the compilation of the executables or there's something wrong with some copies of it, I don't know.

As for Yakuza, you haven't decrypted the code yet.

About the Astro Boy ones, I think because the codes aren't compatible with the newer version of PCSX2. But, the bit about the PNACH file isn't being recognized maybe because the optical drive of your PS2 is unable to read the data correctly, or the disc is scratched, so the ps2rdmod is returning the CRC incorrectly.
Oh yea, I see what you mean. That other version of RE Outbreak is the one that comes with the "Essentials Collection" triple pack.

How would I go about decrypting the code for Yakuza?

Also thanks for the other insightful info for Astro Boy, that is helpful to understand.
(12-26-2020, 03:08 AM)demilich Wrote: How would I go about decrypting the code for Yakuza?

Use omniconvert to decrypt the codes.
But first, change the pnach-format codes into the raw one. So, for example. From this format

Code:

to:

Code:
4940013C DB0F2934

EDIT: Sorry for not reading thoroughly of your post again, but it seems the code is already unencrypted, but you said it doesn't work. Where did you get the codes if I don't mind asking?

Edit Again: Ah, after reading few pages back I finally found where did you get the codes. Luckily, I have the game so I can test what's wrong with the codes.

Another Edit: Okay, now I understand what's going on here. I think you misinterpreted the codes from here. Remember, the format for the cheat codes is usually:

Code:
TAAAAAAA VVVVVVVV

Meaning of those formats:
T: Type of codes, usually 2
A: The address where the values you want to change is located.
V: The value of the codes

Now, when that post giving you these:

Code:
4940023C 0800838C DB0F4834 C0100500

That means, it's not for the use of ps2rd or even PCSX2's pnach. It's for replacing the values manually by using hex editors (Usually with Find and Replace feature) or for finding the address by opening the ELF directly with ps2dis or even modify the memory content directly with Cheat Engine.

Anyway, I corrected your pnach for Yakuza here:

Code:
comment=Widescreen
patch=1,EE,e001aaab,extended,00592d1c //If Screen setting is set to widescreen, execute these codes to fix the zoom
patch=1,EE,2023a820,extended,3c024082 //3c024049 //zoom

patch=1,EE,e0010000,extended,00592d1c //If Screen setting is set to normal, restore the values back to stock ones
patch=1,EE,2023a820,extended,3c024049

//patch=1,EE,2019fd24,extended,3c023f40 //3c023f80 //hor fov
//patch=1,EE,2023a828,extended,34480fdb //34480fdb //zoom 2
//patch=1,EE,201abb90,extended,3c014071 //3c014049 //Alt. zoom
//patch=1,EE,201abb94,extended,34290fdb //34290fdb //Alt. zoom 2

I improved it a little bit to make the implementation a bit cleaner.
Awesome, thank you very much for the quick help!

So I tested it on a PHAT ps2 SCPH 39001 but it froze at the beginning loading screen.
Then tested on a Slim ps2 SCPH 79001 and it loaded properly. My guess is the codes addresses are based from a newer PCSx2 .exe or it does not work well with the first conditional codes that start with "e0010000"?
I'm just guessing they are conditional codes. I also left all the beginning "2" digits alone and did not replace with "0"
Usually replace with "0" to get a pnach to work with PS2rdmod or has been recommended to be in the past.

4x3

16x9 default

16x9 pnach

BTW, I remember seeing someone that tested the codes originally posted by @nemesis and they mentioned one of the addresses was the same for Yakuza 2.
I would be interested in trying that now that you helped make a pnach.

Thanks again for the clarification.