PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
(06-15-2013, 05:55 PM)devina40 Wrote: Even in-game?
My advice is upgrade to the latest SVN build:

Then put the widescreen hacks in the cheats_ws folder, not the cheats folder.

Hmm that's weird, the only folder that seems to exist in my directory is named cheats. There's no cheats_ws folder anywhere.

I've tried creating it and replacing the cheats folder but the emulator just won't load the pnach in that case.

The SVN build doesn't change anything either. I went back to the latest stable build.

Sponsored links

I have asked for a port of 2 games aka Phantasy Star Universe and its Expansion Ambition of the Illuminus before and got told off apparently going to try that again. Looking for the NTSC-J hack to be ported to NTSC-U of these 2 games.
(06-18-2013, 03:51 AM)Topken Wrote: I have asked for a port of 2 games aka Phantasy Star Universe and its Expansion Ambition of the Illuminus before and got told off apparently going to try that again. Looking for the NTSC-J hack to be ported to NTSC-U of these 2 games.

I can try, but don't you mean from PAL to NTSC-U?
Yeah that is what I ment thaks for at least trying devina
I see that Tales of Destiny: Directors Cut is on the request list.
I am also interested in this.
I found the Address and Value as suggested in this topic:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Guide-Cre...eps?page=3

But i have no idea what to do next... as in, how to turn this info into a pnach file,
or what other values i might need to find to make a complete patch.
I'm happy to do the work to finish this and on many other games if i can learn the process...
I've got oodles of time.
But if not, hopefully someone can still use this info to save themselves a bit of time. Smile

Address - 20297B68
Value - 0.0083330255
(06-19-2013, 08:54 PM)NefarioCall Wrote: Address - 20297B68
Value - 0.0083330255

I'm pretty sure that's not the widescreen value, it just changes the camera angle instead. Huh

I tried my best to port both Phantasy Star Universe games over from PAL to NTSC-U, but had trouble porting the render fixes. I updated the archive, so if anyone wants to attempt that, go right ahead.

Fantastic patch for Dragon Quest V, but unfortunatelly the world map and battle screen are still stretched.
(06-19-2013, 08:54 PM)NefarioCall Wrote: But i have no idea what to do next... as in, how to turn this info into a pnach file,
or what other values i might need to find to make a complete patch.
I'm happy to do the work to finish this and on many other games if i can learn the process...
I've got oodles of time.
But if not, hopefully someone can still use this info to save themselves a bit of time. Smile

Ok, I'm probably just repeating the same stuff synce explained in his/her tutorial, but anyways...

Making a pnach file is really easy. If your absolutely unsure and just wanna play it safe, just open up a .pnach file for any other ps2 game in notepad and just change all the information to match your game. Obviously, make sure when you save it, you use the crc for your particular game.
If you don't know what the crc for your game is, just load the game up in pcsx2 and check the log window. As soon as you load up the game, it should show something like, for example, "Game CRC = 0x5188ABCA". The last part is your crc, so save your .pnach file as "5188ABCA.pnach"

Regarding how to use the values you found, the first 8 characters refer to the address (in your case, 20297B68) and the next 8 characters refer to the modified value (which is usually 0.75*the original value)
So like...
patch=1,EE,20297B68,word,41400000

And that's it. If you wanna add a comment, put a //
Anything after the // will not be read by pcsx2

**A couple TIPS**
As far as what I've personally found, most games don't use a widescreen value so low as what you found, 0.00833, although I could be wrong.
1 is the most often used float value, but here's some examples of games and their original float values for reference.

Dual Hearts: 16
Devil May Cry 3: 1
Mystic Heroes: 1
Full Metal Alchemist and the Broken Angel: 1.65127039
Silent Hill 2 : 450.3333

So I'd say search float values anywhere between 1 and 640. With some games, HUD, text and sometimes the portrait size can usually be found within this range as well.

Obtaining perfect widescreen
I'm sure it's been said before, but there are two ways to obtain widescreen in a game. The first and easiest method is to find an address which controls the width-based size (horizontal fov). You simply multiply by 0.75 and BAM, your good.

However, with some games, you might only be able to find an address which controls the height-based size (vertical fov). You can STILL USE this. The only thing is you ALSO need to find an address which controls the zoom. Basically...
Zooming out + crushing the screen vertically = widescreen

Finding Addresses that Control the camera
Again, it's been said before, but the address that controls the horizontal fov and the address that controls the vertical fov are usually right BESIDE each other.
Let's say you open cheat engine and find an address that does something to the camera at for example, the address 2016ae18. If the next address in the list doesn't seem to do anything, it's most likely cheat engine skipped some addresses. In that case, you could always just manually add addresses yourself into the list. So if you count by the 4, the next address would be 2016ae1c, then 2016ae20...etc... (because remember, you must count in hexadecimal.) Count backwards if you want to find previous addresses.

Address Ranges
Most addresses that controls specific things usually exist within the same range. For example, in the game Dual Hearts, I managed to the find the address 206C9EB0, which controls the width size of the map HUD. With that knowledge, I searched the "20600000 to 206fffff" float value range, and found another address which controls another HUD value.
Similarly with Grandia 2, all the HUD values for the battle screen exist within the 2016**** address range. Interestingly enough, if you search this address range outside of battle, all the values revert to 0, which is kind of proof that these address only do something within the battle screen.

Exceptions
OBVIOUSLY, every game is different, so don't feel down, if your aren't able to find anything via cheat engine. Cheat Engine doesn't always work, but it's certainly a good starting point.
^ Nice job on the guide, Asmodean should probably link to it since it's pretty useful. Happy

It's stuff like the "vertical fov + zoom" method which I had to figure out for myself. This is exactly why we could use an updated guide.

Don't forget, the archive is always open-source, so if you want to add a new patch, or update one, feel free to post here.
(06-24-2013, 12:02 AM)devina40 Wrote: Asmodean should probably link to it since it's pretty useful. Happy

You rang Wink

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Wid...#pid213852