PCSX2 and GPGPU
Today ATI released an updated SDK for their GPGPU architecture. I don't know too much about it other than you're basically treating your video card as a massively parallel processor, but I downloaded it and want to play with it because I'm curious to see what it can do and what it's like. The next question I had was, how would this affect PCSX2 performance/accuracy if the VU code was rewritten to take advantage of it?

I'm not saying I expect this to happen any time soon. It was just a thought.

Sponsored links

This is like CUDA from Nvidia?

if it is, forget about it. Read the Faq.
neither ATI stream. FAQ
Hm. Was going to go into a small discussion about PS2 architecture but found a document explaining some of the questions I had. Makes me wonder, then. If you're using the GPU to emulate the GS, I wonder how much can be gained by putting double effort on it. I suppose it depends on how much is done through hardware.
no way emulation will be that many threaded as it requires GPGPU. We all waiting just for Quad Core support
(03-17-2009, 12:49 AM)tenow Wrote: We all waiting just for Quad Core support

Assuming they'll add it in the code, which would be a VERY painful and/or tedius process AFAIK.
(03-17-2009, 12:49 AM)tenow Wrote: no way emulation will be that many threaded as it requires GPGPU. We all waiting just for Quad Core support
Not necessarily. The graphics chip on the PS2 has 16 processing units, but then again, graphics processing isn't the biggest problem with PS2 emulation.
(03-16-2009, 09:24 PM)Mystiq Wrote: if the VU code was rewritten to take advantage of it?

any attempt to do that would probably be slow and limited.

(03-17-2009, 01:31 AM)nintendo85 Wrote:

Assuming they'll add it in the code, which would be a VERY painful and/or tedius process AFAIK.

we will support more than 2 cores eventually.
Jake has already proven its possible by threading his new IOP interpreters Tongue2

we still need alot more work to get the big speed gains everyone's hoping for though.
(the plan is for Jake to finish his new IOP recompiler and to thread that, as well as me finishing my new VU recompilers and we can thread those as well (or at least VU1, we'll have to see if VU0 is worth it))

luckily Jake's a threading guru, so I have full confidence we'll have the 'quad-core support' everyone's been hoping for sometime in the future.
it won't be a double-the-fps thing though; but it should be a nice speedup compared to what we have now Tongue2
Oh sweet explanation here, that is give more power to upgrade my cpu soon.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
(03-17-2009, 07:54 AM)cottonvibes Wrote:
(03-16-2009, 09:24 PM)Mystiq Wrote: if the VU code was rewritten to take advantage of it?

any attempt to do that would probably be slow and limited.

(03-17-2009, 01:31 AM)nintendo85 Wrote:

we will support more than 2 cores eventually.
Jake has already proven its possible by threading his new IOP interpreters Tongue2

we still need alot more work to get the big speed gains everyone's hoping for though.
(the plan is for Jake to finish his new IOP recompiler and to thread that, as well as me finishing my new VU recompilers and we can thread those as well (or at least VU1, we'll have to see if VU0 is worth it))

luckily Jake's a threading guru, so I have full confidence we'll have the 'quad-core support' everyone's been hoping for sometime in the future.
it won't be a double-the-fps thing though; but it should be a nice speedup compared to what we have now Tongue2

Now that's something I like to hear! Looking forward to it!