PCSX2 and PS1 Compatibility
Hey guys, what is the current state of PCSX2's PS1 Compatibility ? Can already run games ? Does it work with DX9/DX11 ?

Sponsored links

(03-19-2018, 03:07 PM)StuDentBR Wrote: Hey guys, what is the current state of PCSX2's PS1 Compatibility ? Can already run games ? Does it work with DX9/DX11 ?

I try and ask before, it can't run any ps1 games.
Your best bet is to try out your game's on the latest dev build, some will work and others won't.

If a game doesn't boot, try switching to the IOP interpreter in the Emulation Settings window, otherwise other probably won't work at this point.
Also boot them in software mode. HW mode will give you tons of glitches.
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
And even then you'll probably run into glitches but you'd be surprised how many games just work a very very incomplete compatibility list can be found here: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PSX-Mode...ility-List if you play games not on the list make a report there it'll help out a ton thanks.
My general PSX mode "having problems try this/things to look out for" list, mostly things people have mentioned but some additional pointers:
  • PSX support starts a little ways in to the 1.5.0 dev builds. The latest builds will work the best, generally speaking.
  • If your PS2 is a slim model, then you won't be able to run PSX games in PCSX2. The slims got rid of the R3000A and emulated it on a different chip, and the resulting BIOS changes don't play nicely in PSX mode.
  • Always use SW renderers. Doesn't matter which backend, just SW. In most cases the HW renderers spit out hot garbage.
  • If games hang or fail to boot altogether, try the IOP interpreter.
  • FMVs are wildly corrupted due to a timing issue with DMA3, and long FMV playback on some games can hang the emulator. You will just have to skip them, really, which makes games like Final Fantasy kind of pointless.
  • If your CPU is not a high end one, your emulator speed may be a little under 100%. If so, lower the EE cyclerate. Note that this also wildly accelerates FMV playback on some games, and this increases the chance of hanging if you don't skip FMVs fast enough.
  • Silent Hill just doesn't work on the latest builds. CK and Nobbs will say to their last breath that I broke it and that is 100% correct. Look in the build bot for builds before "SIO Interrupts" were enabled for PSX mode and it will work, but you will lose memory card support.
  • Some games such as Final Fantasy 8 will not see PSX memory cards in slot 2 if slot 1 is empty or a PS2 card.
  • On the latest builds your PSX memory cards will appear as Pocketstation devices in the PS2 BIOS. This is a (hopefully) temporary hack that allows Pocketstation enabled games to interface with PSX memory cards, and has no negative effects for normal memory card use.
  • Some games are liable to hang without warning for reasons unknown. Remember to save to a memory card, and use save states here and there in between.
  • Don't save entirely with save states either. Some games, after running only on save states, may after many hours of game play behave unpredictably and crash. Remember that using save states repeatedly is, in the eyes of the console being emulated, as if it had been running nonstop all that time.
Perhaps I'll come back with an edit if I recall more.
Why don't you just use ePSXe if you want to play PSX games...?
Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20 GHz,
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
And some other gubbins that make things work.
(03-23-2018, 08:57 PM)Kian Stevens Wrote: Why don't you just use ePSXe if you want to play PSX games...?

Because a good portion works OK/without problems on PCSX2.
(03-23-2018, 08:57 PM)Kian Stevens Wrote: Why don't you just use ePSXe if you want to play PSX games...?

I personally had some issues with ePSXe. UI was a bit clunky, think I had issues with full screen, alt tabbing or pausing and unpausing, I can't remember what combination of those it was though. And audio seemed to crackle a bit if I remember correctly.
ePSXe is decent but old news. For best quality, use a PS1 emulator that also has PGXP.