PCSX2 and Wine
Hello,

several month ago, I had trouble to get pcsx2 native linux version to work, so I used the windows version with wine.
The 0.9.8-r4600 pcsx2 version works with wine (1.4 from Ubuntu precise) but only with GSDX sse2 SDL, good framerate, good sound.

I tested with lastest svn version but they crashed, I think only GSDX SDL graphic plugin is compatible with Wine.

And you, did you try to run pcsx on linux with wine? (don't forget to join your spec and wine version).
Config: Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic 64 bits - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - official Ubuntu Nvidia drivers 390.48 - 1920x1080 - Processor Intel i5-3570 3,4 Ghz - 8 Go RAM

Sponsored links

I can successfully run PCSX2 0.9.8 r-4600 in Wine using same circumstances (GSDX with SDL). Using Directx mode crashes even with DX9 installed with Winetricks. I too am using Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04 and Wine 1.4 Works pretty well, I would agree. I run on somewhat older hardware...an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.7 GHZ OC'd to 3 GHZ and a Nvidia GeForce 220.

I am able to easily run Linux "unofficial build" 0.9.9 r-4920 and also get a quality performance using many games except Dynasty Warriors 3 (doesn't work). Sound does produce problems with ALSA (very scratchy and loud) for all my games but switching to OSS helps sound work fine for some reason.

The Wine PCSX2 is able to run Dynasty Warriors 3 while my Linux version cannot. So I use the Wine mode only when I want to play DW3. I still suport native Linux version because of all the hard work the programmers put into such an great program that has come from a long way over the past 4 years that I've known about PCSX2. When I first tried Linux version it was barely playable compared to Windows, but now it's awesome.

My Nvidia GeForce 220 only goes to OpenGL 3.3. So whenever I try to use the PPA version or newest 1.0.0 version PCSX2 crashes. Apparently it needs OpenGL 4.2 GPU. I will continue to use the old version until I can afford to buy upgraded hardware.
PCSX2: SVN r5133 x86
CPU: Core i3 2100
GPU: GeForce GT 440
Wine: always the latest version

PCSX2 works with SSE4.1, decent framerate, and very bad sound. Using GSDX, the framerate is unbrearably slow, but with ZeroGS, the framerate is decent, although it's quite slow compared to GSDX on Windows. The sound is so crappy that I'd rather not wear the headphone. Tested with all 2 sound plugins, SPU2X sounds better. The most annoying thing is Lilypad control configuration sometimes losts for no reason.
I just tried the last stable PCSX2 1 windows release with wine: there is no more sdl plugin...but GSDX directx hardware and software plugin finally works. I found directx software plugin faster on my config than the hardware one's.
Config: Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic 64 bits - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - official Ubuntu Nvidia drivers 390.48 - 1920x1080 - Processor Intel i5-3570 3,4 Ghz - 8 Go RAM
Quote:The sound is so crappy that I'd rather not wear the headphone. Tested with all 2 sound plugins, SPU2X sounds better.

I saw you are using Ubuntu, this sound problem could be related to pulseaudio/wine. Try this: launch wine config (winecfg), audio tab, for each parameter choose "name of your audio card_analog".
Quote:My Nvidia GeForce 220 only goes to OpenGL 3.3. So whenever I try to use the PPA version or newest 1.0.0 version PCSX2 crashes. Apparently it needs OpenGL 4.2 GPU. I will continue to use the old version until I can afford to buy upgraded hardware.
To avoid to spread bad information. It require an opengl 3.3 GPU but an opengl 4.2 capable drivers because some features are purely in the drivers and don't depend on the GPU. New hardware won't fix the issue on my code Wink

Quote:I found directx software plugin faster on my config than the hardware one's.
It is true for all games? Except special case, SW must be slower than HW. Maybe wine create a too big latency.
I apologize. I was going by the homepage which says based on OpenGL 3.3 but requires 4.2. At least I don't need to replace my card. I'm glad for that.
Quote:It is true for all games? Except special case, SW must be slower than HW. Maybe wine create a too big latency.

I tested DBZ budoken with 2 PCSX differents versions (pcsx2-0.9.8-r4600 and pcsx2-1.0.0-r5350-binaries. I launched them with wine 1.4 ubuntu official depot. I obtain 35-50 fps with d3d software, the lower performance is 32 fps when I launch a cameamea :-) and 10-15 fps with d3d hardware...