PCSX2 debugger request
Hello!

What are the odds that we could get an implementation of a GDB remote debugger server inside of PCSX2 that tools like IDA Pro or radare2 cutter can interface with for debugging PS2 executables externally?

I'm currently trying to write a test one up myself but the GDB remote serial protocol has my head spinning... I've got it working on some basic level (outside of PCSX2, just returning the executable memory / dummy data) but after days of research, tweaking, debugging I can not get the pause, step, continue, set breakpoint commands from the debugger to fire packets to the GDB server... I'll keep trying for a while, but I thought I'd come here and find out if this is something the PCSX2 devs would want to implement anyway so that perhaps I can be saved from potential insanity.

Thanks for the read!

EDIT:
Alright, I've finally got a minimal implementation of the remote GDB server integrated in PCSX2. Hoorah! It works for me but I can't help feeling like the PCSX2 devs would do a significantly better job than me.

Sponsored links

(08-02-2020, 02:32 AM)stinkee2 Wrote: Hello!

What are the odds that we could get an implementation of a GDB remote debugger server inside of PCSX2 that tools like IDA Pro or radare2 cutter can interface with for debugging PS2 executables externally?

That sounds really useful!

Quote:EDIT:

Alright, I've finally got a minimal implementation of the remote GDB server integrated in PCSX2. Hoorah! It works for me but I can't help feeling like the PCSX2 devs would do a significantly better job than me.

How about contributing your changes in form of a Pull Request? I'm sure there's other people (like me) who would appreciate an easy way to attach a "proper" debugger to the game running in PCSX2.
Even if it's not good enough to be merged into the project as-is, it might become good enough through code review. And even if not, it would certainly help anyone more experienced with PCSX2's code to do such a better job Smile
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go